Server - Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 at 2.8GHz/2X1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
Operating System - No Operating System, Other
Memory - 1G DDR2, 533MHz, 2X512MB Single Ranked DIMMs
Memory - Four ECC DDR-2 533 SDRAM DIMM sockets for up to 4 GB of memory
Keyboard USB Keyboard
Monitor - No Monitor Option
Primary Hard Drive - 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive
2nd Hard Drive 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive
Hard Drive Configuration Onboard SATA, 2 Drives connected to Onboard SATA Controller
Floppy Drive - No Floppy Drive
Mouse - USB 2-Button Mouse Wheel
Network Card - Onboard NIC
CD/DVD Drive - 48X, Compact Disk Drive, Internal, Half Height, MG
Graphics - Integrated Graphics

What do you think?

Thanks,

John

I

imported_GraFFix

Just some prices off the top of my head...might be off a little here and there but you get the picture.

Server - Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 at 2.8GHz/2X1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB - $220
Memory - 1G DDR2, 533MHz, 2X512MB Single Ranked DIMMs - $80
Keyboard USB Keyboard
Primary Hard Drive - 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive $60
2nd Hard Drive 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive - $60
Mouse - USB 2-Button Mouse Wheel
CD/DVD Drive - 48X, Compact Disk Drive, Internal, Half Height, MG - $20

Then add the case its coming in is probably another $40 or so. They dont say what MOBO comes with it so its probably a lower end one which would sell for $50-60 bucks or so..depending on what it actually is of course. Same goes with the KB and mouse thats why i didnt put prices for that. I usually toss those items into the "might need an emergency part pile" lol

So basically the price is right about there if you were to build it yourself. Its a decent web brousing everyday use PC.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by GraFFix@Mar 17 2006, 04:01 PM
I was just posting retail prices if I were to peice it together. Its a good price for a decent everyday computer. Just dont go doing any gaming or 3d rendering :)
[snapback]118664[/snapback]​

Why not?? I game on a slighyly faster processor with less ram and a 9700 pro. I havent meet a game that I cant play yet. Just curious on why it wouldnt be good.

Im not saying it would be the greatest, but it would be decent.

I

imported_GraFFix

The graphics are built on the mobo. it shares memory with your RAM. Intergrated graphics is good for viewing videos and stuff like that. its not goign to handle gaming unless your playing a very old game like wolfenstein 3D lol

I

imported_GraFFix

there are alot of misconceptions when it comes to the new dual core processors. In reality the only time it will be of use is when multi tasking. Like burning a CD and messing with Photoshop. decoding a DVD and playing a game..etc If your just using it for normal everyday use like brousing the net emails..etc then your still only using one core of the CPU at 2.8ghz. the other core will sit idle. And also for pentium their 2.8ghz is comparable to an AMD 1.8ghz cpu when it comes to performance.

I

imported_GraFFix

If your buying this machine directly from dell then thats a good price. They have great customer service. which is worth alot if problems come up with the system.
You also have to take into consideration that it doesnt come with a operating system and if you were to do it legally and actually buy an OS that would cost you another 100 bucks or so. But most people have a "backup" copy of XP or something :)

I havent checked for pre-built systems in a while. Doing what I do its hard to compete with the big name brand companies when building full machines. Im more on the upgrade/repair side of the industry. Check around Dell, www.abs.com, www.cyberpowersystems.com but honestly for a pre-built dell will probably be your best bet. hell for a few more bucks you could probably get a dell system with a LCD and an OS. Might have to loose the Dual core CPU but that depends on what your going to do with the machine.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by GraFFix@Mar 17 2006, 04:03 PM

The graphics are built on the mobo. it shares memory with your RAM. Intergrated graphics is good for viewing videos and stuff like that. its not goign to handle gaming unless your playing a very old game like wolfenstein 3D lol
[snapback]118667[/snapback]​

I forgot about that. Even with a different card, the onboard graphics would still suck up some of the resources wouldnt it??

I

imported_GraFFix

No it would be disabled. Some mobos will disable it automatiaclly if it detects a graphic card in the AGP/PCI slot. If not then its easily disabled in the bios. Same goes for the soundcard. Although if its not a gaming computer onboard sound is pretty decent now a days.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
dell.... good customer service? .....your experiences must be different than mine........ i could NEVER get anyone that speaks english and they NEVeR knew what they were doing........... maybe they should move their customer service to the US because we speak english here..... i got help one time....... it was like their tech 5 person......... so after going through 4 other people i got some guy named like ernest or something and spoke english lol

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Its a decent set up for a file/print server.

I would opt for larger drives and or possibly SCSI with a raid controller.
If you are seriously considering having a redundant drives.

Also what OS do you plan on using?
Linux?
mac o/s 9?
windows server 2003 or windows xp pro?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Originally posted by alexgtp@Mar 20 2006, 11:25 AM
Its a decent set up for a file/print server.

I would opt for larger drives and or possibly SCSI with a raid controller.
If you are seriously considering having a redundant drives.

Also what OS do you plan on using?
Linux?
mac o/s 9?
windows server 2003 or windows xp pro?
[snapback]118949[/snapback]​

Raid would be really nice.

OS -> I have a spare copy of Win 2K around, but I am leaning towards Linux.

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info