3800 car accident on the way home

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
I was following my friend in his tempo down this main road up here in rockford. I have my friend Jason in the seat next to me. we were driving normal, no excessive speeding or anything like that. the speed limit was 45, we were doing around 50. we were heading southbound. Justin(tempo) was about 20feet from the intersection when the light JUST clicked yellow. well as soon as the light clicked yellow this 4dr bronzemist grand prix(facing north) decided to make a left turn right in front of my friends car. my friend has no time to react except for hit the brakes. plows into the side of her, sending both cars into 720's. all I see is the faint rear bumper of my friends car going to the left, and this grand prix to the right.

once I saw this I down shifted, full on the brakes......I decided to go for where I thought there would be less of a chance to hit a car. right in dead center..on the dotted line. when those 2 cars hit, just black grey smoke instantly everywhere mixed with white snow everywhere I cannot see anything. I go into the cloud and a split second later I feel BOOOOOOOOM. I literally feel the front of the car go down to the ground. my rigth hand is holding onto the shifter squeezing as hard as I can, my left shoulder hits the seat belt popping my shoulder, my left knee hits the dash. my friend Jason in the passenger seat, is 100% fine.

once I get out of the cloud, I see that I am headed for the center median and on coming traffic, so I steer the car right........car is dead so I dont know how I managed. it hops the curb and comes to a complete stop where pain hits me. I reach for my cell to call my mom. I was only a mile if that away from my house, and ironically a mile away from a hospital. I dont move form the car, I waitied for the ambulance to get me out. I had my friend snap a few pics on my phone....will post soon.

this seriously reminded me of the movie Days of thunder. when hes at the last race..goes through that dark cloud and see that car sliding in front of him. this is how it was only I didnt see any car. just felt the impact. Don- I think you are right...the rear of the car might of come off the ground when I felt the front of the car go down.

the temp is totaled, 3 sides of his car are non existant, and the engine is through the firewall. the grand prix was sent spinning which took out a light pole. my car well...its totaled as well. when I look straight at my car. the hood is halfway up the windshield, I can see the tranny where the bumper used to be, and the fenders are pushed into the engine bay. I tell you what.....my mom bought this passt new back in 92, I loved this car since day 1. I will buy another VW. we hit HARD.

I am ok for the most part. my left shoulder could have a possible fractor, my left shin has an indent from the dash(not broken), and my left hand is in the shape of me holding the shifter. my muscle wont relax my hand. I am sore all over, but I am alive. I am furious at the point a person would just pull out in front of a car like that. my friend in the tempo got 13 stiches all togetehr in his hands, and he banged up his knees a bit. I dont know about the driver in the GP. had she had a passenger...they would have been killed, the entire car I'm told just buckled. I'm going over today and taking after shots of the Passat since it was too late for me yesterday the 16th.

this pisses me off. now I am wihout a dailey driver. I am out of work for 3 days(doctors orders), and I miss driving that car. I can account for every scratch dent ding in that car since the day we bought it new in 92. :( :( :( :(

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Damn man that sucks ALOT!...Glad to see that u are ok...was it the GP's fault????? if so lawsuit.... damn man that sucks reminds me kinda of when i got hit in my grand am i was going through a stop sign and a lady rolled it and plowed into the side of me at 45 that sucked my passenger door was in the middle of my car sucked balls....

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Originally posted by REDHOTT04GTP@Mar 17 2006, 01:36 AM
Damn man that sucks ALOT!...Glad to see that u are ok...was it the GP's fault????? if so lawsuit.... damn man that sucks reminds me kinda of when i got hit in my grand am i was going through a stop sign and a lady rolled it and plowed into the side of me at 45 that sucked my passenger door was in the middle of my car sucked balls....
[snapback]118600[/snapback]​

Actually if the light was yellow i belive his friend is at fault, cause the people in the turn lane would have the right away, but hopfully it'll work out better

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
here are some phone pics. I will have better ones in the daylight here soon. you cant see how badly the front end is puched up..the snow on the ground is covering it up.

passat1.jpg

passat3.jpg

passat2.jpg

passat5.jpg

I

imported_Diavolo

First, Good to see you are ok Jacob. It could of been worse and atleast only the car is hurt.

Actually if the light was yellow i belive his friend is at fault, cause the people in the turn lane would have the right away, but hopfully it'll work out better

Second, I hope I am NEVER at an intersection with you on the other side. The person turning on yellow does NOT have the right of way through in intersection.

I

imported_Theautoguy

It seems that the newspaper has Jason driving the Passat! We so need another newspaper in this city that doesn't screw everything up! Anyway, this is a link to the story:

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...=73238768465667

There is a picture of the GP and the Tempo on the lower left of the page.

I'm glad Jacob, Jason and Justin walked away and my prayers are for the woman still in the hospital. Unfortunatly for her, the turn lane has to yield to oncoming traffic. There seems to be a lot of absent-minded drivers in that area. I almost got nailed at that intesection before as well.

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
I want that car back. I am just so furious right now I havent really talked to anyone. looks like the camaro will be my means of transportation till I get another dailey. I just picked up a slightly used 4L60 today for free. since the doctor gave me time off work...I'm getting this car up and going.

you never know what you had until its gone. I'm feeling it right now. I miss it so much.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by 00GTPSC+Mar 17 2006, 01:38 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-REDHOTT04GTP
@Mar 17 2006, 01:36 AM
[snapback]118600[/snapback]​

[snapback]118603[/snapback]​
[/b]

Under no circumstance does the person crossing a lane of traffic have the right of way unless said person has a protected green arrow. Even if the light had been red the person in the left turn lane must still give right of way to the person going straight.

Similar is nature to the fact that i fyou are on a hill behind a car with a manual and the person rolls back into you its your fault. You were too close.

Glad to hear you are ok man. Sounds like that was a scary accident to have been in.

BC

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Sweetness got it right regarding the turn. A turning car NEVER has right-of-way over a car that is staying in its own lane, even through an intersection or at a yellow/red/green/purple/magenta light.

Thinking a left-turning car has right-of-way is probably what lead to this accident in the first place. That or just plain not paying attention.

Did the other driver get a ticket?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info