3800 RPM vs MPH

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I JUST GOT MY 1.8 ROCKERS INSTALLED!!

I am currently shifting out of 1st gear at about 44mph at 5860 RPMs give or take. Does this makes sense? I have 225 / 55 / 17 tire measurements on my car. I have the 2004 GTP which is the 2.93 gearing. If I want to shift at 6000 RPMs out on the 1-2 shift would it be at 55.8 MPH? Does that make sense?

On the 2-3 shift shift what would the safest RPM to shift at? I was thinking around 5750 @ 99.5 mph, but it does not seem right. What do you all think?

Mike

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
changing rockers does not change your RPM's.

Also the stock TACH is about as accurate as a weatherman.

Are you getting your RPM's thru the tach or are you using an autotap/odbII scanner?

Do you have an aftermarket PCM?
Is this PCM programmed to your 2.93 gears?
Have you had your shift points changed?
If you have a DHP I would recommend having charles change the shift point to what you want ..but make sure to keep it in a safe spot. DOnt want any valve float introduced into your set up.

The tires you have should only throw off your speedo/tach about <1%.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by alexgtp@Mar 13 2006, 03:24 PM

Are you getting your RPM's thru the tach or are you using an autotap/odbII scanner?

Have you had your shift points  changed?
If you have a DHP I would recommend having charles change the shift point to what you want ..but make sure to keep it in a safe spot. DOnt want any valve float introduced into your set up.

[snapback]118103[/snapback]​

I have a DHP Power Tuner. I use the scanning device on the tuner to monitor everything. Yes my shift point are not stock. I actually had to adjust from the tune that I got from DHP. It was allowing me to shift at 6200 rpms. I didnt want that.

I understand that, but when you install larger ratio rockers that means you can boost up the RPMs and what not correct?

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Negativo.

Rockers allow the car to breathe better (improve airflow) at the higher RPM's. More air in = more power. Thats basically all it does.

By increasing the rmp shift points you are giving the car more chance to produce more power in the upper RPM's

I would recommend a safe shift point try and keep them under 6200. Unless you have higher spring rates/pushrods and better retainers.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by MIKES3+Mar 13 2006, 03:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-alexgtp
@Mar 13 2006, 03:24 PM

Have you had your shift points  changed?

[snapback]118103[/snapback]​

I have a DHP Power Tuner. I use the scanning device on the tuner to monitor everything. Yes my shift point are not stock. I actually had to adjust from the tune that I got from DHP. It was allowing me to shift at 6200 rpms. I didnt want that.

I understand that, but when you install larger ratio rockers that means you can boost up the RPMs and what not correct?
[snapback]118108[/snapback]​
[/b]
no shifting higher has nothing to do with rockers, its your springs that need changing, and there is no power gain from what i hear over 6-grand with rockers, just float after 6100

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by alexgtp@Mar 13 2006, 04:12 PM
Negativo.

Rockers allow the car to breathe better (improve airflow) at the higher RPM's. More air in = more power. Thats basically all it does.

By increasing the rmp shift points you are giving the car more chance to produce more power in the upper RPM's

I would recommend a safe shift point try and keep them under 6200. Unless you have higher spring rates/pushrods and better retainers.
[snapback]118110[/snapback]​

I got the ZZP Rockers Installed. I got the 1.8 rockers, 90lb springs, The pushrods that came with the package. valve retainers and I think thats it, so I would assume that I can go to 6000 rpms

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info