3800 My Oil Pan is Leaking AGAIN!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
About a year ago, my dads friend replaced my headgasket, valve colver gaskets, intake gaskets, supercharger (I think) gastket, oil pan gasket, supercharger oil, spark plugs and plug wires. Some of these were replaced uselessly but since the engine was partly taken apart they were replaced anyway. He used OEM GM parts for everything.

A few months after the repairs I noticed that a small amount of oil could be seen around the oil pan when I went under there to change oil. I took it back to my dads friend. He checked to make sure the boilts were all tightened (they were) and told me dont worry about it, come back to him when you have to add oil or you see oil spilled on the ground. Since replacing the gasket is kinda a project and will cost alot money, I did what he told me.

I havent driven my car in like 5 days and as I pulled it out of the garage I saw a small amount of oil on the ground probably from the leaky oil pan. I check the oil and the level is still safe but I guess im going to have to get this checked out again and my oil pan gasket will probably have to be replaced for the 2nd time.

What makes the gasket fail so soon? My dad friends said it was because "I beat on my car sometimes". But still it should last over 10K miles. I think im going togo with a aftermarket gasket this time and not a GM one, because oviously the GM on failed.

Any comments on my problem?

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
What makes you think it was a GM gasket forsure that he installed? I'm not saying he's bullshitting, but I look at every angle. He may have bought aftermarket gaskets and told you they were GM, becuase I do know that the GMs are more expensive than aftermarket. Do you think thats possible becuae I have 77,000 on my car and 0 leaks, but I do maintain my car very well

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
What makes you think it was a GM gasket forsure that he installed? I'm not saying he's bullshitting, but I look at every angle. He may have bought aftermarket gaskets and told you they were GM, becuase I do know that the GMs are more expensive than aftermarket. Do you think thats possible becuae I have 77,000 on my car and 0 leaks, but I do maintain my car very well

I dad ordered all the parts the machanic said to buy from the dealer and gave them to the guy when he got my car to fix. Its my dads friend. He has known my dad since high school and has been fixing our cars for years.

I made a post on clubgp and people are saying, that the service manual says to not use RTV (whatever that is) when installing the new gasket. I guess GM has a TSB out now that says you have to use RTV or else it will leak again. Im wondering if this was the problem, because it started it leaking a few months after I got those repairs done.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have replaced it on my car maby 4 or 5 times with fellpro and gm gaskets with and with out rtv I evean bought a new pan and new gm gasket then did not use rtv and still did it so I took it off 2 days later and used rtvit still leeks but not as bad as with out rtv I have given up on it compleetly I guess I can deal with till I build a new motor

brett

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I think its the cover where the rear main is at there is that aluminum cover box and the gasket surface is un evean but you would think rtv would fill it in, but oh well I am done it takes like 3 hours every time and that is moving at a good pace the next 3 hours I spend on my car will be puting the scs on there thats when ever I get time I just started my new job this week and already I get overtime the first saturday I just finished training last night at 3:00 thats ok I will make half as much as I would in a whole week at my other job in 4 to 6 hours of ot here

brett

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info