3800 anyone ever use the thrasher torque arms?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Not really for every day, but they are easy to remove. I'm waiting on some parts to do an everyday option that's esentially the same.

I made my own, and they work very well at the track. The car will pull straighter, and bite better.

If you get serious about doing some let me know. They are really easy to fabricate, it's a bunch of off the shelf stuff. It's just a bar with heim ends that attach the the LCA's and the frame.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by 1fastGTP+Feb 28 2006, 03:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Blownbyyou
@Feb 28 2006, 03:42 PM
ron is the macgyver of Grand Prixs lol

So Fucking True
[snapback]116618[/snapback]​

agreed made a gen 3 ic work on the gen v thats what i call a bad ass! or a BAMF!
[snapback]116621[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hell Yeah he did. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Mar 1 2006, 01:06 AM
I still think the Thrasher arms are mounted in the wrong direction.
[snapback]116685[/snapback]​
They changed them at one point, so I don't know which one you mean...but I'll lend my humble opinion:

If they attach on the front side of the LCA, and the frame bracket is slightly higher forward of the arm...it's the right way. The give in the LCA's will push the arm forward into the frame, and susequently lift the frame. This will push the arms down and let them dig.

I've seen them mounted backwards behind the LCA's; this does prevent the LCA's from moving, and gives a better turn radius. However, you lose the benefit of the device as a traction bar. If you use an adjustible arm, you can add preload...so mounting foward of the LCA is really the best way.

It's in this vein why I had been monkeying around with a forward spherical bearing. Letting the arm move freely, but having no foward give helps the chassis spring off the line.

Take a look at what the Honda FWD drag cars are doing, you can't just get great 60' times with giant slicks.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Tsimaris messed around with some torque arms a couple years ago and got some great info from tests. When you launch it is a natural tendancy for the tires to pitch inwards due to the weak control arms. This is a major problem as it is working against you the whole way down the track. John had special braces made to attach to the back of the control arm and then extend to the rear of the car and mounting to the subframe. This incredibly helped the 60' times as well as resulted in far fewer blown axles. The amount of force pulling the control arm inward on launch is so strong that John actually broke these braces in half and they were twice as thick as the Thrashers.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Originally posted by Mike K@Mar 1 2006, 07:15 PM
Don't argue with a fool. Hell drag you to his own level and beat you with experience.

I like torque arms and icecream.
[snapback]116811[/snapback]​
It's ok Mike, I can handle this one :p . This topic involves physics and geometry, plus it can't be found on howstuffworks.com, so I think it is well within my realm yet just outside someone else's grasp. ;)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
How cute. The weakbodystore peeps are feeling threatened by little old me.

A fool?? Just cause I ask questions and take common senses side over yours?? A person that probably could never sell an item again on clubgp and someone else that tries to be respectable yet bashes members?? Im ohh so hurt.

So, if I took the these thrasher torque arms and put them on my gt, think I can break them?? :lolsign:

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
No one ever said you lied, so I am failing to see where you got that from. As far as selling stuff, I probably sell about 3 things a week, most of them over $500 per item. Now, will the thrasher arms break on your car? No, because they are mounted in a way that does not stress them in the same way as the rear mounted ones. Also, you misread what I said. I never said that the power of JT's car is not what broke the braces, I was refering to the power being irrelevant to the issue of the control arms flexing. And for the record, I in no way feel threatened by you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info