3800 98 GTP vs 00 Mustang GT

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
98 GTP (mods in sig) vs 2000 Mustang GT (Flowmaster Exhaust, suspension, nice tires.)

I met up with some friends on Friday night, this guy I kinda know with a Mustang GT was out chilling with them. My friends wanted to see our cars race, so I figured why not, this guy only had his Mustang for like 3 months so he probably cant drive very good. We went out for to our spot and raced three times.

1st race: I spun like crazy off the line, smoke coming out of the tires, I beat him by 3+ cars till like 100. The Mustang also like crazy spun.

2nd race: I spun again like crazy, more smoke coming from tires. I pulled instantly ahead from the launch. The Mustang somehow, spun and turned his car side ways going to the curb, he recoved and drove off, I shut down.

3rd race: The Mustang driver was a little shaken up because he almost died but was still saying his Mustang is faster than my GTP. My other friend offered to drive his car because he is a better driver. We raced again, both cars spun like crazy because of the salt on the roads still. I still ended up beating him the Mustang 2-3 Cars.

Overall I think the races were good even though with the salt its like impossible to get a good launch. Ever since I installed the 3.4 my car has alot more power, spins wayyyy more and is very hard to launch. The Mustang driver claimed his car after flooring it at a low speed it would spin then shift into two, while still spinging then it would downshift to 1st and bog. Thats he says he lost, idk if that is possible. I think if both cars were to get good launchs the Mustang would still lose but just not as much.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
aww cmon.. GTPs are that hard to launch.. i was pullin off 2.0 60's on a 3.1" pulley, thats a decent amount of torque also.

Yeah, but racing (ricer excuces) when its 20' out, in winter, with my shitty winter tires, and lots of salt on the road is hard.

you just have to get used to brake torqueing to 2000rpms and then feathering it until you BARLEY spin the tires.

I didnt really feather the launch. What I did wrong was go WOT way to soon.

did you race him at all from a roll so it was a car race and not a drivers race?

Yeah I wanted too, but the guy was being a newb and didnt want to race anymore.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by syP@Feb 26 2006, 12:44 PM
aww cmon.. GTPs are that hard to launch.. i was pullin off 2.0 60's on a 3.1" pulley, thats a decent amount of torque also.

you just have to get used to brake torqueing to 2000rpms and then feathering it until you BARLEY spin the tires.

[snapback]116271[/snapback]​

i was also pulling 2.0's all day w/ an i/c'd 3.0 on street tires

but those stangs are pretty much dogs, but some can be deciving with a good driver. a buddy of mine just sold his votech charged 92(ish) five-oh. he raced an 02gt mtx, and from what the guy said, he had long tube headers, and some kind of an intake w/ a cutout for exhaust, with some 555r's, and the s/c'd stang only won by about 1.5 cars, and it ran 13.0 with a 2.3 60'. (which tells me its a mid-high 12 sec car easily.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by MIKES3+Mar 1 2006, 10:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-00gtp83
@Feb 27 2006, 10:08 AM
I know with my 2000 gtp i was launching somewhere around 2800 i believe, on street tires.
[snapback]116398[/snapback]​

Hows that? Our torque converters wont allow you to do that. I thought we were good for maybe 2400 at the most
[snapback]116727[/snapback]​
[/b]

I can launch at 2900rpm not every converter is created equal mine has a little more play in it then others.. which also lowers gas mileage but meh launching my car is easy as hell

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info