3800 help with rocker decisions!!!!!

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
I have the chance to get a set of nib 1.8 gen 3's probably in the next week or so. But then i got the a chance at some gen 1 1.9's but will not be off till may. So now i have to decide which to get. I will be keeping my stock valve train. Will i notice that big of gain going to non roller 1.9's. I had heard somewhere before taht the roller 1.8's where about the same hp as the modded 1.9's. Is this true. Basically im looking for some opinions on what people would do. It also depends on what the price of the gen 1's will be. PLease help!!

Jay

redgt03

Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Peoria, il
Originally posted by MIKES3+Feb 22 2006, 03:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-redgt03
@Feb 22 2006, 03:37 PM
i would go with 1.8s Jay.
[snapback]115684[/snapback]​

and why do you say that?
[snapback]115687[/snapback]​
[/b]

because he said "I will be keeping my stock valve train." From what i have heard you need to upgrade some things with 1.9s...please correct me if I am wrong. Also, so he does not have to wait till may....and the 1.8s are new not used....so to me that sounds like the better choice.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
From what i have heard you need to upgrade some things with 1.9s

U can run 1.9's that are modded stockers with stock valve train but u are just running the risk for valve float. Both of them weight about even since the 1.8's i wont get the hp of the 1.9s but the 1.9's i could get valve float out of and get lesss hp. Its kinda a coin flip here so thats why im looking for soem opinions.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by MIKES3@Feb 22 2006, 04:30 PM
I think you should get the 1.8s You dont have to worry about rolling the dice. ZZPs 1.8s are one hell of a deal and I keep looking at them
[snapback]115694[/snapback]​

I dont wanna spend that much for the zzp's when i will probalbyonly run them for like a year or so. Id like to go xp in about ayar. So these are just temporary.

AdamGTP7

Regular
Feb 21, 2008
Originally posted by my97gtp+Feb 22 2006, 04:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3
@Feb 22 2006, 04:30 PM
I think you should get the 1.8s You dont have to worry about rolling the dice. ZZPs 1.8s are one hell of a deal and I keep looking at them

I dont wanna spend that much for the zzp's when i will probalbyonly run them for like a year or so. Id like to go xp in about ayar. So these are just temporary.
[snapback]115696[/snapback]​
[/b]

If they are for sure only to be used for one year then I wouldnt get either of them and put the money towards something else for your car that u want/need. That is only if your for sure about the cam! If you really had to choose 1 I would choose the 1.8's I hate waiting lol.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
If they are for sure only to be used for one year then I wouldnt get either of them and put the money towards something else for your car that u want/need. That is only if your for sure about the cam! If you really had to choose 1 I would choose the 1.8's I hate waiting lol.

Im not worried about saving for the cam. I would rather go fast with these now and sell them when im done with the motor im gonna hopefully build taht will contain the cam.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by gambino GTP+Feb 22 2006, 06:26 PM-->
Originally posted by my97gtp@Feb 22 2006, 04:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3
@Feb 22 2006, 04:30 PM

[snapback]115696[/snapback]​

[snapback]115707[/snapback]​
[/b]

i agree. if you are going to get a cam in a year, save that money, or spend it on a power tuner or something.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info