3800 Careful in Work Zones this Spring...

ernrcr3

Regular
Feb 26, 2008
Orland Park
Got this in an Email:

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. Second offense tickets are $1,000 with license suspension. Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense, but he SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city or state using PHOTO enforcement. The State will begin with TWO camera vans issuing tickets in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Pass this on to everyone you know !!!!

for more info: http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html

-ern

ISPTPR

Dec 3, 2008
"Trooper Hire-back—$4.7 million has been identified to fund additional troopers in work zones throughout the state. Additional troopers allow state police to deploy work zone details in areas of heightened concern" :lolsign:

thats me!!! also know as the gtp overtime fund :D

ISPTPR

Dec 3, 2008
Originally posted by dole21@Feb 16 2006, 10:21 PM
They had these vans last year I thought...
[snapback]114966[/snapback]​

no we just recently got them, the guys have been trained within the last two months or so..........they had alot of media hype to slow people down before they went out.....its crazy how many fatals we get within the construction zone, its truly a nightmare.........

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by ltlqueen+Feb 17 2006, 03:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-00GTPSC
@Feb 17 2006, 03:49 PM
i got caught doin 65 in work zone once, cop was all ready to gimme a ticket but i got out of it. :ph34r:
[snapback]115073[/snapback]​
How do you get out of a ticket in a work zone? Never heard a story like that. Usually, it's I got cuaght speeding in a work zone and had to pay a ton of money.
[snapback]115075[/snapback]​
[/b]

wondered that myself..

hopefully he keeps his answer PG-13 for us..

and all of these accidents that happened aren't all construction workers getting run over, they're just regular cars involved in silly fender-benders.
many of the so-called 'accidents' that were registered were injured when their front-end loader rolled over them or they stepped on a nail.

"Give em a Brake" This is a money generating scam by the state.
give ME a break

milleniumgt

Regular
Nov 16, 2008
Ouch, those penalties are stiff! I just hope the right people get tickets in these zones, and not the ones that are going 50 in a 45.

And yes it is possible to get out of a ticket in a construction zone. I was pulled over on the 290 by Woodfield some time ago for going 4 over (yes 4 over!) in a work zone. Cop asked for my info and went back to the car without even giving me a chance to say much. I showed my hands out of my window and opened my door with my hands in plain site, and approaced the squad on the passenger side, and had a word with him since I didn't get a chance before he left. He ended up just giving me a warning which I guess was fair.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Originally posted by dole21+Feb 17 2006, 04:04 PM-->
Originally posted by ltlqueen@Feb 17 2006, 03:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-00GTPSC
@Feb 17 2006, 03:49 PM
i got caught doin 65 in work zone once, cop was all ready to gimme a ticket but i got out of it. :ph34r:
[snapback]115073[/snapback]​

How do you get out of a ticket in a work zone? Never heard a story like that. Usually, it's I got cuaght speeding in a work zone and had to pay a ton of money.
[snapback]115075[/snapback]​

wondered that myself..

hopefully he keeps his answer PG-13 for us..
[snapback]115076[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hahahaha, as long as you guys promise not to get upset i'll tell. my dad's a cop, but please don't start with the bs like ohhh thats not fair and this and that, just remeber, have you ever gotten a discount on something or got something for free cause of where your parents worked? well that's how it worked for me, and don't get me wrong i have seen my fair share of court and paid my fair share of fines for tickets, but a speeding in a construction zone, no way.

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
I can verify that being a cop's kid will not help you with quite a few police officers out there. You got lucky.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of photo traffic enforcement simply because it takes away from police officer discretion and human interaction. It feels too "big-brotherish" to me. I can see that there is a need to prevent accidents in work zones, there are too many risks to ignore. However, I would rather see the money those vans cost spent on even more trooper hire-back to put more human officers out in the work zones or spent on more public training (maybe even at the high school level) for proper driving habits, ettiquette, and courtesy in work zones.

ISPTPR

Dec 3, 2008
Originally posted by Ten32@Feb 19 2006, 03:32 PM
I can verify that being a cop's kid will not help you with quite a few police officers out there.  You got lucky.

It does with me..........never, ever mess with family..........I would hope that if your dad stopped my wife he would give the same professional courtesy that I would give you..............I agree though there are some out there who take the job too far.........who cares if you dont write some stupid azz speeding ticket!!!! The only thing that matters to me with being a cop is going home at the end of the night........

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
why the hell is your wife speeding in a work zone?? If it were you driving in a work zone speeding i would probably let you off depending on the speed, but i would sure as hell let your cheif know how disrespectful you are to the law your supposed to be protecting...... and i know he would relay it to you...........My criminal justice teacher was a MP, Houston cop, and Pekin police chief.......he made sure that his wife received speeding tickets when she sped because the laws are there for a reason, so if your breakign them, then expect to suffer the consequences when your caught.........

ISPTPR

Dec 3, 2008
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Feb 24 2006, 12:25 AM
why the hell is your wife speeding in a work zone??
[snapback]116023[/snapback]​

I think you need to re-read my post..........my wife WASNT speeding in a construction zone, shes not some 16 year old girl who has been driving for two months. Her driving has been better since she has been with me because she knows the repercussions of speeding and other violations. My post was to infer on minor infractions, not DUI's or some type of criminal activity. We do give warnings you know, my point was that I would be more inclined to give a family member of a police officer a warning as opposed to a citation on a MINOR infraction........no need to be unprofessional.............

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info