3800 pulley questions whats better 3.5 or 3.4-- catback

01blackGTPnos

Feb 11, 2008
Question If you replace the supercharger pulleys with a 3.5 can you use the stock belts? Do you have to change plugs and thermast like yu do with the 3.4?

Whats the gains between the 3.5 or the 3.4

Also I wanted a catback system for my car. I went to the local muffler shop the guy I no told me that he can make a custom catback sytem for the car with 2 half inch pipe and take out the resonater . And everything new from the cat back.. Will that make any HP? Or os that waste of time. I was thinking about going with magaflow mufflers

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by 01blackGTPnos@Feb 14 2006, 02:25 PM
Question If you replace the supercharger pulleys with a 3.5 can you use the stock belts?  Do you have to change plugs and thermast like yu do with the 3.4?

Also I wanted a catback system for my car. I went to the local muffler shop the guy I no told me that he can make a custom catback sytem for the car with 2 half inch pipe and take out the resonater . And everything new from the cat back.. Will that make any HP? Or os that waste of time. I was thinking about going with magaflow mufflers
[snapback]114283[/snapback]​

1.yes the stock belt will work. But i recommend switching to a GATORBACK 4060660 belt

2.The reason ppl change plugs and thermostat is in order to reduce knock. ONly if you car is seeing KR. Would I recommend changing plugs and t-stat.

3.FOr an exhaust I recommend James Dean Muffler in countryside. He has done almost 90% of the member exhausts on here and is very familiar with or cars exhaust systems. He also uses magnaflow mufflers and does quality work. Do a search for him.

It will make a bit more horse power on the 5-10 HP PPL do it more for looks and sound not really a HP increase.

Now in the long run having a free flowing exhaust with th combo oh headers and other stuff youwill see an increase in HP by a significant amounts.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
ok well the diff is so little just go with the 3.4,and james dean is a waste of money, and will jsut f@#* you over in the long run, there is a discount day at fair muffler on the 25th of march

read the old post in upcoming events about it, and belt is 20 bucks just get the new one, but you will need about 60 bucks worht of supporting mods...you will get sick of the 3.5 quick and end up selling it and wasting money there so just build your car to handle the 3.4........make sure you scan no matter what you do to the car

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by sinr247@Feb 14 2006, 03:55 PM
and james dean is a waste of money, and will jsut f@#* you over in the long run, there is a discount day at fair muffler on the 25th of march

[snapback]114307[/snapback]​

first unhappy customer i have ever heard from.

i was like his 3rd customer after chrys and thalord..

I have had this exhaust for about 3 yrs ..no rust...welds are still perfect..and still sounds great..

beleive me I have gone to "OTHER" muffler places that want to charge more and do shitty work and also cant do the proper bends for our cars..

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
every one i know that has gone to james dean has paid more, and he lies about his Down pipes and says there is no restiriction, ive talked to him twice and i dont think ive met a bigger a-hole.and he trash talks other shops, and then when he has been shown work by them..he shut up real quick, and james dean has told many people that he does mandral 3 inch piping....not true

but there are plenty of james dean horror stories..i dont want to steal the post

get the 3.4 i say

Originally posted by 01blackGTPnos@Feb 14 2006, 03:25 PM
Question If you replace the supercharger pulleys with a 3.5 can you use the stock belts?  Do you have to change plugs and thermast like yu do with the 3.4?

[snapback]114283[/snapback]​

this will be a hotly debated issue, but i dont think there's THAT big of a difference between a 3.5 pulley compared to a 3.4..
my personal opinion is for the 3.5 pulley (see my sig) but you still need supporting mods for that. ie; intake, downpipe, u-bend delete and colder spark plugs .autolite 605's or 104's and i suggest a 180* thermostat
i have a James Dean cat-back with Magnaflows but i would prefer Flowmaster 40's cause they're a little deeper sounding.

and James Dean's shop is located in Countryside not LaGrange..they share the same zipcodes though.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
thats not every car tho. some of us that had no probs running a 3.25 with little mods, like a thermostat, homemade intake, and catback, 2 stage colder plugs
some cars just dont like mods...ever, zoomer when he started had almost no probs with minimal mods and ran high 12's.... its all about tuning if you car doesnt take the mods right away

01blackGTPnos

Feb 11, 2008
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Feb 14 2006, 05:39 PM
there was 2 of us that got it done that day, and im not sure what the other dp was like b/c the car was totalled, but i was still running a 3.0 pulley w/o knock
[snapback]114341[/snapback]​

Where is the ubend at? I was just going to replace everything from the Cat. back with 2 half inch piping. The guy I no was going to make a homade ypipe.. But Doesn't seem like its worth it..

My wife told me to just put a electric cutout after the cat.. Will I get the same hp if I ran catback ?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
cutouts are a pain, and my tune changed to much while open ..and if you dont have a power tuner ...good luck, the ubend is a u shaped bend right after the cat to prtect the o2 from road hazards its like a 1 1/2 section...big restriction, the u-bend and res with a cat back might get you 10 ponys and a true downpipe like wbody store has and fair muffler can make will usualy give another 5-8 hp
slight torque loss but it helps with launching(gtp's have to much power off the line anyways) a cutout will have a even worse torque loss, but i dont feel in a good way
the stock mufflers are not the restrictive so a u bend and res with the y-pipe will give you a nice gain, it will taper down a little tho at the mufflers, dont let a shop talk u into mufflers if u dont want to, cause you have to reduce, its not as bad as they say .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info