3800 Supercharger Knocking Sound

I

itlnrob

Ok well recently I've been noticing that at idle and in DRIVE I can hear some sort of noise underneath the hood. Its not that loud, but its my car and I can notice it. The second I hit the gas, it goes away. It sounded like it was coming from my Thrasher kit, but I listened closely and found that it is coming from my supercharger. I recently changed the Supercharger oil about a month and a half ago, and i really have no recollection of this noise prior to the change.

Is my supercharger toast? Should I try changing the oil one more time?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by itlnrob+Feb 10 2006, 05:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-phat_ridegt
@Feb 10 2006, 05:00 PM
how many miles on the blower?
[snapback]113715[/snapback]​

Hmmm maybe about 30,000 now, and the oil was changed at 18,000 and now at 30,000.

Its not a loud noise at all, but shit I'm pissed.
[snapback]113720[/snapback]​
[/b]

Is it comming from the intake or towards the pulley?? When the car is off pull the belt off and try to wiggle the pulley. IIRC thats the bearings if it wiggles.

Also is the car warmed up when you hear it?? Our cars cold with CAI sound like coffee grinders when warming up in the winter.

I

itlnrob

Originally posted by Fish+Feb 10 2006, 05:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-superchargedgp
@Feb 10 2006, 05:18 PM
the noise you are hearing is the s/c coupler being worn out. you have to take the snout off to change it
[snapback]113724[/snapback]​

DOH. I meant coupler but I said bearings. Dont know why. Listen to Mike. B)
[snapback]113727[/snapback]​
[/b]

anybody have any pics of this co upler?

And also the noise is coming from the heart of the supercharger. Right above those lines running on the top of it.

Also, How hard is this install?

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by itlnrob+Feb 10 2006, 05:32 PM-->
Originally posted by Fish@Feb 10 2006, 05:25 PM
the noise you are hearing is the s/c coupler being worn out. you have to take the snout off to change it

And also the noise is coming from the heart of the supercharger. Right above those lines running on the top of it.

[snapback]113728[/snapback]​
[/b]

the noise will reverb off the housing. you have to drain the S/C oil completlu and remove all of the bolts on the snout. then it will come apart the coupler is a O shapped plastic thing with 3 holes in it it connects the snout shaft to the gears in the S/C rotors. the install is a piece of cake

I

itlnrob

Originally posted by superchargedgp+Feb 10 2006, 05:48 PM-->
Originally posted by itlnrob@Feb 10 2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Fish@Feb 10 2006, 05:25 PM

[snapback]113728[/snapback]​

the noise will reverb off the housing. you have to drain the S/C oil completlu and remove all of the bolts on the snout. then it will come apart the coupler is a O shapped plastic thing with 3 holes in it it connects the snout shaft to the gears in the S/C rotors. the install is a piece of cake
[snapback]113729[/snapback]​
[/b]

So the install is as simple as draining the supercharger oil, unbolting the snout off, yanking the old coupler piece, sliding on the new one, reattatch the snout, and add new supercharger oil?

Also, anyone have a part # for this coupler?

vdan02

Jan 2, 2008
well Rob, let me know when you want to do this... im pretty much up for it anytime i dont have to work.... so, cant take that long.... just provide some soft drinks... and we'll get that thing replaced....

kinda sounds like GM not having a part number for something cheap like this... its more like "lets make people buy a whole new blower..."

Dan

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
i had the same noise coming from the blower, thought it was the tentioner at first glance but once i put a big screwdriver to the top of the blower, i heard this ratteling just like if a tentioner was bad.

what kind of time frame are you talking, start - finish, to replace this coupler?

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by daturbosix@Feb 12 2006, 06:33 PM
i had the same noise coming from the blower, thought it was the tentioner at first glance but once i put a big screwdriver to the top of the blower, i heard this ratteling just like if a tentioner was bad.

what kind of time frame are you talking, start - finish, to replace this coupler?
[snapback]113965[/snapback]​
about 45min

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by superchargedgp@Feb 10 2006, 05:48 PM

the noise will reverb off the housing. you have to drain the S/C oil completlu and remove all of the bolts on the snout. then it will come apart  the coupler is a O shapped plastic thing  with 3 holes in it  it connects the snout shaft to the gears in the S/C rotors. the install is a piece of cake
[snapback]113729[/snapback]​

I hope you really meant 6 :)

vdan02

Jan 2, 2008
well, one new snout installed, and two couplers later.... itlnrob still has this weird sound under the hood of his car.... so, more ideas would be nice here....

could a power steering pump make weird sounds at idle? i mean, mine has a distinct coffee grinder sound... and his is diffrent, i dont know if i would call it knocking... but fluttering?

kind of hard to explain....

Dan

vdan02

Jan 2, 2008
also, on newer cars with the cooolant overflow tank on the passanger side wheel well.... removal of the coolant tank and unbolting of the fust box/assembly right there... can be bent forward, to lay on top of the battery... just remove the alternator, and you will be able to access all the bolts... as long as you have a 10mm, and some longer extensions...

install took 1 hour the second time around... we had some unexpected company, and were talkin on the phone for a little bit in there...

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info