3800 Realistic power gains?

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
My car (a 2004 GTP) is under warranty until September of 2008, but I want to start getting some really basic mods done this year. I was thinking of installing a CAI and 3" downpipe (possibly with a high-flow cat) since they are both relatively inexpensive, bolt-on mods that shouldn't cause any issues with the engine (such as KR) that should create a warranty issue. I might also install some Flowmaster mufflers just for the sound.

Realistically speaking, what kind of power gains can I expect here? Is this even enough to feel it on the "butt dyno?" Also, judging from my limited knowledge of how an engine works, it seems to me that I should also get a fuel economy increase with these mods provided that I can keep my foot out of the throttle. Is that right or am I insane?

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Jan 28 2006, 09:50 AIDS
if you get a dick dealership, they can void your warranty for any upgrades, so if you do anything, keep the stock parts incase you have to take it in, you can quickly swap them back
CJ
[snapback]111975[/snapback]​

Not true. They can try, but the courts have ruled again and again that the burden of proof is on the dealership to prove that the modification was the root cause of whatever failure may have occurred. Simply modifying an engine is not grounds to void a warranty. You can thank the SEMA lawyers for fighting for our rights to modify our engines.

That said, I want to avoid modifications that are likely to cause any engine failures so that I don't have to have the above-mentioned fight.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by Ten32+Jan 29 2006, 03:27 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-PaceCarBoozer
@Jan 28 2006, 09:50 AIDS
if you get a dick dealership, they can void your warranty for any upgrades, so if you do anything, keep the stock parts incase you have to take it in, you can quickly swap them back
CJ
[snapback]111975[/snapback]​

Not true. They can try, but the courts have ruled again and again that the burden of proof is on the dealership to prove that the modification was the root cause of whatever failure may have occurred. Simply modifying an engine is not grounds to void a warranty. You can thank the SEMA lawyers for fighting for our rights to modify our engines.

That said, I want to avoid modifications that are likely to cause any engine failures so that I don't have to have the above-mentioned fight.
[snapback]112010[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well, thats what I'm saying, if it gets to that point then it's a lawyers argument. They will argue that the modification is what caused the problem and you have to prove them wrong. Seems like a long and timely process that will not be worth it in the end.
CJ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list