3800 BIG PROBLEM!

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
ok, so tonight i took off from the parking lot (kinda fast) then right as i pull onto the road i get the flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. GREAT! I've seen this light to many times...

Anyways it wasnt running bad, until the stop light, when i was sitting still i could hear a clicking and it would run real rough

i take off and it goes away

stop again and its back

i get home, cant see anything obviously wrong with it

turn the car on, hear the clicking sound...its coming from underneath the car...

i have no idea what it is, but does anyone have a sugestion?

Also the ses light stoped blinking after the car was off for a while, but it still runs shitty under a load, when i'm in park the shaking isnt near as bad, but all in all the clicking is there

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by mybluegtp@Jan 19 2006, 09:04 PM
you should go to autozone to see what codes you are throwing they will do it for free. Then go from there.
[snapback]110879[/snapback]​

Yea, but i'm just taking it in to fix it instead. I know its nothing i can do, theres a bottom end noise, which i have NO clue wtf it could be..ugh

but it was getting a misfire code because of the SES light flash

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by graphicassult+Jan 19 2006, 09:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mybluegtp
@Jan 19 2006, 09:04 PM
you should go to autozone to see what codes you are throwing they will do it for free. Then go from there.

Yea, but i'm just taking it in to fix it instead. I know its nothing i can do, theres a bottom end noise, which i have NO clue wtf it could be..ugh

[snapback]110883[/snapback]​
[/b]

pull out each sparkplug and lets see what they look like

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by superchargedgp+Jan 19 2006, 09:28 PM-->
Originally posted by graphicassult@Jan 19 2006, 09:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mybluegtp
@Jan 19 2006, 09:04 PM

[snapback]110883[/snapback]​

pull out each sparkplug and lets see what they look like
[snapback]110884[/snapback]​
[/b]

would that cause the noise? i mean this thing is pretty loud. And i can tell its got a misfire, but you dont think it could be an internal source?

I did just have my 1/4 coil replace and module, i had to run it about 5 or 6 miles, but i would think a fouled plug would have shown up sooner

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Jan 19 2006, 10:22 PM
i agree before you take it in and spend money, pull the plugs and check em out.  what mods/plugs are you running?  if u have a modded car w/ stock plugs maybe you fouled a plug and its just missing really badly (best case scenario)
[snapback]110891[/snapback]​

i just have a cold air right now (home made)

but i'm scared about that noise i'm hearing

wtf could cause it?

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jan 19 2006, 11:20 PM
Like Mike (superchargedgp) said, it could be a chipped piston.. or maybe even worse.. If you pull the plugs and see an electrode thats bent/smashed, then you generally have a chipped piston at minimum.
[snapback]110906[/snapback]​

would i hafta replace the piston for sure? or is it substainable?

I really dont have money to fix this thing, but if it needs it i'll give it...

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jan 19 2006, 11:26 PM
Well.. if thats what it is, then yes that piston has to be replaced. But first I would check the plugs and see whats what before we start talking "money money".

now that I see your avatar pic, are you supercharged or n/a?
[snapback]110910[/snapback]​

any rough estimate?

i already hafta replace the rear main seal, so why not just get a whole new engine

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jan 19 2006, 11:32 PM
Depends on if you wanna get an engine from the dealer/GM ($$$) or used from Ed Morad, which will be MUCH cheaper and I believe a better option.
[snapback]110913[/snapback]​

according to partsamerica a piston would run around 30-50 dollars...does that sound right

i know the main thing is labor in this, suppose they'd hafta drop the whole damn thing out, like always

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by dole21@Jan 22 2006, 12:22 AIDS
change your plugs if you're getting that many misfires on a car with just a CAI
[snapback]111160[/snapback]​

The main reason why i get so many misfires is because of my ignition components going out on the car.

I replaced my plugs when i got it with the AcDelco Iridiums but i here good of the 104's, whats the difference?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info