3800 Running way to rich?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Lately the Regal has been smelling heavily of gas like its running really rich after a cold start up. I know its running in open loop until the O2 sensors heat up, but this seems worse then I remember, and it still seems to smell some of gas when idling in park.

I hooked the little scan program I have on my laptop to it when it was at operating temp last night, and was looking at the LTFT's and they are -10 to -20.3 when idling in park. Cruise they are around -10 if I remember correctly, and at WOT they are still in the negatives, I just dont remember how much, maybe up to -10. I know at WOT I'm also seeing a crap load of kr* up to 6* at WOT, in first and some of 2nd gear.

Do I have some sort of vacuum leak or could the exhaust leak I believe I have be causing this?

FWIW my mods are..

-HAI (can't get my 9" cone in the fender)
-3" downpipe w/high flow cat
-DHP PCM
-104's
-poly motor mounts
-ported/coated exhuast manifolds

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jan 19 2006, 04:41 PM
Lately the Regal has been smelling heavily of gas like its running really rich after a cold start up. I know its running in open loop until the O2 sensors heat up, but this seems worse then I remember, and it still seems to smell some of gas when idling in park.

I hooked the little scan program I have on my laptop to it when it was at operating temp last night, and was looking at the LTFT's and they are -10 to -20.3 when idling in park. Cruise they are around -10 if I remember correctly, and at WOT they are still in the negatives, I just dont remember how much, maybe up to -10. I know at WOT I'm also seeing a crap load of kr* up to 6* at WOT, in first and some of 2nd gear.

Do I have some sort of vacuum leak or could the exhaust leak I believe I have be causing this?

FWIW my mods are..

-HAI (can't get my 9" cone in the fender)
-3" downpipe w/high flow cat
-DHP PCM
-104's
-poly motor mounts
-ported/coated exhuast manifolds
[snapback]110845[/snapback]​
powertuner or afc will be help out alot ,you really need it, some people just run lean and others really rich, being pig rich will give you knock, ive been running rich casue of the weather i leaned out mine and added timing and my knock went away, my fuel trims were about what yours were ,

but a while agobefore i started messing with fueling i found out PEMS and other exhaust work change everything i leaned out alot with pems a DP and no cat

you can get a pcm reflash but you all ways end up adjusting fuel the whole time you ever tune, so getting somthing to actully adjust is the best idea

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Nick,

You also might want to take a quick peek at your fuel pressure, it could be your FPR is going bad and allowing too high of a fuel pressure. A bad o2 or MAF could cause problems like this also...

What are your STFT's while idling/cruising? You might also want to look at o2 crosscounts while idling/cruising and MAF frequency on the scantool next time you are out for a drive...

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I wasnt able to scan the MAF or STFT's via my laptop, but I will try again on a little scan tool I have tonight. Anything in particular I should look for?

Last night I was playing with the car and the long term fuel trims were -20.3 at idle (in drive) and -10ish at cruise at 65mph. Under full throttle they were in the negatives, maybe around -7/-10. In 1st and 2nd gear I would get *kr spikes all over and up to 7*, but once I was in 3rd gear (for me 3rd comes in at exactly 100mph) and all the way till the car hit 130, I had no kr whatsoever, but the car hit what felt to be like bouncing off the speed limiter. :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info