3800 SSIC or upgrade???

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
alright well my final goal with the car is mid-high 12's pump gas...i ran 13.69 w/ the mods in sig (excpet togs and afc). I will definatly be running an xp cam this season and probably get a PT....with that being said, do you think it is worth upgrading from the ssic to the stageII? i think i can drive the car into the 12's w/ the ssic but i just dont know how far it will go. if i could pick up a used stageII for around 600-800 and sell the ssic for half that would it be worth doing the leg work and installing it all or do you think i should run what i have and go with it?

any comment/suggestions are appriciated!!!

Dan

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'm going to say, save your money.

Always go with a full-size IC. Get the best deal you can on a used one, or buy a core, then all the other parts seperate so it's easier on the wallet.

Remember the BTTK, ZZP, Thrasher, and of course the WBS cores are all good. Any of them will work better than the ILGPC core I run, and I run a 2.8" pulley daily with 20+ degrees of timing at WOT.

The SSIC works, but you can't just slap a 2.xx pulley on an otherwise stock car like any of the full-size IC's. Mike K was running a 3.0 with one of his cores at 22 degrees of timing, with stock manifolds, stock TB, exhaust (with u bend in), all stock valvetrain to net a 40 hp gain. I doubt you could do that with an SSIC.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jan 13 2006, 04:59 PM
I'm going to say, save your money.

Always go with a full-size IC. Get the best deal you can on a used one, or buy a core, then all the other parts seperate so it's easier on the wallet.

Remember the BTTK, ZZP, Thrasher, and of course the WBS cores are all good. Any of them will work better than the ILGPC core I run, and I run a 2.8" pulley daily with 20+ degrees of timing at WOT.

The SSIC works, but you can't just slap a 2.xx pulley on an otherwise stock car like any of the full-size IC's. Mike K was running a 3.0 with one of his cores at 22 degrees of timing, with stock manifolds, stock TB, exhaust (with u bend in), all stock valvetrain to net a 40 hp gain. I doubt you could do that with an SSIC.
[snapback]110247[/snapback]​

thats what i was thinking...i mean i dropped from a 14.2 w/ 2.0 60' to a 13.71 with ONLY adding the ssic...but im going to have the top half of the motor apart anywayz when the cam goes in so i was thinking if it would be worth the gains (20+hp?) then i may be interested. i just dont know if for another 500 bucks is it worth the money.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Oh, I was thinking you hadn't done the IC yet...my bad.

With the full-size you need bigger lines for sure, probably a bigger pump, and from what I understand, only certain cores have the outlets in the right place for the exsisting plumbing. Certainly makes it a more difficult decision. You may be able to piece off parts of the system to re-coup your money so it's not as losing a deal for you. Maybe sell the core/plumbing/pump to upgrade. I could see getting $250-300 back from that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list