3800 Tuning

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I am starting to do some massive studying on the W-Body cars in regards to tuning. Please help me clear somethings up.

Take alook at this image. **Note:** The example shows Cylinder Airmass, however the actual data is KR)
kr.jpg

Now that we know where the KR is present, lets get rid of it. Open up HPT VCM Editor, File, open - choose your latest bin.

Now go to Engine, Spark Advance, High Octane which is the picture below.
high_octane2.jpg

Now, looking at our list above, lets start to tune out the KR.

Knowing that 2800 X .80 = 2 we can move to that cell, and subtract 2 from it's value.

So - the value is currently 15 in that cell, so click on that cell and in the "add" box choose -2, commit. It will now read 13. Bye Bye KR in that cell!

My Question is how do come up with 2 when you take 2800 x .80? I see it as 2240.

Can anyone try and explain this to me?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by MIKES3@Jan 12 2006, 02:19 PM
I am starting to do some massive studying on the W-Body cars in regards to tuning. Please help me clear somethings up.

Take alook at this image. **Note:** The example shows Cylinder Airmass, however the actual data is KR)
kr.jpg

Now that we know where the KR is present, lets get rid of it. Open up HPT VCM Editor, File, open - choose your latest bin.

Now go to Engine, Spark Advance, High Octane which is the picture below.
high_octane2.jpg

Now, looking at our list above, lets start to tune out the KR.

Knowing that 2800 X .80 = 2 we can move to that cell, and subtract 2 from it's value.

So - the value is currently 15 in that cell, so click on that cell and in the "add" box choose -2,  commit. It will now read 13. Bye Bye KR in that cell!

My Question is how do come up with 2 when you take 2800 x .80? I see it as 2240.

Can anyone try and explain this to me?
[snapback]110096[/snapback]​
I don't think they are referring to an actual formula, they're just removing 2 degrees of spark timing to get rid of KR. I see what they are doing, but the way they are doing it makes you los about 6hp to the wheels.

The Cyl airmass is how much pressure is in the CC at that given RPM. More or less at .80 air mass you are esentially seeing x amount of boost, so anytime your car sees that same air mass in the cyl, this is what your spark value will be.

I'd go through and smooth out the spark table the best that you can, at least in my .bin file it was filled with big jumps of advance between rpms. Just smoothing it out knocked off some KR.

Spark tables are kind of advanced, and you may want to leave it alone for now. Go through and pull back your TQ Mgmt conservatively, then look into your fueling. Once those 2 are squared away, hit your line pressure for the trans, and bump up your shift pionts 200-300 rpm. At every change scan the car for KR. Once you're through all that I'd get into the spark tables.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• MIKES3
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list