3800 Changing Transmission Fluid

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I think im going to goto my dads shop tomarow and change my transmission fluid and filter. I will do a pan drop because I have herd a flush is bad on higher milage cars. My car has 70,000 miles on it and I think it has ever had a trans service. The fluid looks nice and redish, but my car doesent really shift that smooth after I been driving around a while and the fluid gets heated up.

I found this writeup:

http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/tranfluid.html

Any tips or tricks when you do this? Im going to buy a GM trans filter and im not sure what fluid to buy.

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Follow the instructions and you will have no problems.

i like to loosen all the bolts. I will loosen one side more so as to let the pan be on an angle. I leave it there for a cple minutes so as to allow a majority of the fluid to spill out into the catch basin. That way when you completely remove the pan you wont have a huge mess of excess fluid.

Be careful when you are removing the filter. There is a black tube that actuall fits snugly with an oring into the trans valve body If you force it out you migh end up cracking the elbow and it will than be lodged in there and hard to remove. Whem you reinstall lube up the part that goes into the valve body with tranny fluid it should make it easier to go in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• PANDA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list