3800 Fuse help...Am I looking for trouble??

milleniumgt

Regular
Nov 16, 2008
System= 2 Sony Xplod subs 300w RMS/800w Max...sealed box....Sony Mono amp 400W RMS/800W Max..1 Farad RF cap....4 gauge power and ground throughout...Sony Head unit. (Not the big baller setup, but it does the Jorb for now!)

I have a 60A fuse on my 4 guage wire running to the trunk (which is fused within <12" off the battery) ...that connects to a the cap...from there i have a 1.5 ft 4ga power cable run from the cap to the amp that is not fused. Is this going to be a big problem?? Everyone usually says that the main power line coming from the battery should have a fuse within 18" of the battery...meaning that having 18" of unfused wiring is acceptable. So using this school of thought, I decided that the power run from the cap to the amp didn't need a fuse. Now I am having second thoughts. Anyone have any input.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by milleniumgt@Jan 4 2006, 02:25 AM
System= 2 Sony Xplod subs 300w RMS/800w Max...sealed box....Sony Mono amp 400W RMS/800W Max..1 Farad RF cap....4 gauge power and ground throughout...Sony Head unit.  (Not the big baller setup, but it does the Jorb for now!)

I have a 60A fuse on my 4 guage wire running to the trunk (which is fused within <12" off the battery) ...that connects to a the cap...from there i have a 1.5 ft 4ga power cable run from the cap to the amp that is not fused.  Is this going to be a big problem??  Everyone usually says that the main power line coming from the battery should have a fuse within 18" of the battery...meaning that having 18" of unfused wiring is acceptable.  So using this school of thought, I decided that the power run from the cap to the amp didn't need a fuse.  Now I am having second thoughts.  Anyone have any input.
[snapback]109266[/snapback]​
that sounds like how my system is setup. I have not had any wiring problems.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Yea, that will be fine, the amps are fused anyway, the fuse near the battery is there to protect from a surge through the battery. Just make sure the wire cannot be cut by any sharp metal, and you should have no problems.
CJ

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by milleniumgt@Jan 4 2006, 03:25 AM
System= 2 Sony Xplod subs 300w RMS/800w Max...sealed box....Sony Mono amp 400W RMS/800W Max..1 Farad RF cap....4 gauge power and ground throughout...Sony Head unit.  (Not the big baller setup, but it does the Jorb for now!)

I have a 60A fuse on my 4 guage wire running to the trunk (which is fused within <12" off the battery) ...that connects to a the cap...from there i have a 1.5 ft 4ga power cable run from the cap to the amp that is not fused.  Is this going to be a big problem??  Everyone usually says that the main power line coming from the battery should have a fuse within 18" of the battery...meaning that having 18" of unfused wiring is acceptable.  So using this school of thought, I decided that the power run from the cap to the amp didn't need a fuse.  Now I am having second thoughts.  Anyone have any input.
[snapback]109266[/snapback]​
blowiung a fuse on a amp will not guarntee the amp is still fine, ive seen people blow amps up that way..,,,,well my cousin and his buddy with a stereo shop
put a fuse in it at least

what happens if the power wire falls out of the amp(high vib can make this happen, screws loosten) for some ungodly reason, then the wire grounds out!!.......

new battery time then.......... 2 dollar fuse, hundreds in failed amps and batterys

milleniumgt

Regular
Nov 16, 2008
Originally posted by sinr247@Jan 5 2006, 12:30 AM
[blowiung a fuse on a amp will not guarntee the amp is still fine, ive seen people blow amps up that way..,,,,well my cousin and his buddy with a  stereo shop
put a fuse in it at least

what happens if the power wire falls out of the amp(high vib can make this happen, screws loosten) for some ungodly reason, then the wire grounds out!!.......

new battery time then.......... 2 dollar fuse, hundreds in failed amps and batterys
[snapback]109359[/snapback]​

That's the thing, I know that the battery is protected with its fuse, but the cap is not. If that hot wire decides that it doesn't want to stay seated in my amp maybe my cap might blow up. I honestly never thought of that wire fallnig out, I guess with that in mind I might go and fuse it up just to be on the safe side, so I can protect the cap.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
cap will not fail in that case , but a battery blowing up is a big deal under the hood of a car, ive never had a cap fail that way.......

but the horrible good awful truth is ....a cap is useless. they are a gimmick as much as anyhting, high end systems dont use them unless there digi, just for show, top guys laugh at them.. tho every best buy and circut city and small stereo shop guy says you need them, so they make money , padding the bill for a hundo or so, they say it helps your headlights , but they dont tell you your ground on the car and the amps ground are half ass and that will help ten fold, good sytems have two batterys..tho this design is flawed its still better and cost around the same and you cna alsways take a battery out and use it ina another car.
or jump start a car from your trunk...no more turning around on the highway to jump your or your buddys broke down car

very help ful if you store a car and need to jump it in a tight space and cant get to the front..this happens

milleniumgt

Regular
Nov 16, 2008
Originally posted by sinr247+Jan 5 2006, 03:37 AM-->
but the horrible good awful truth is  ....a cap is useless. they are a gimmick as much as anyhting, high end systems dont use them unless there digi, just for show, top guys laugh at them.. [/b]

When I first put my system together I had a buddy of mine that was pushing for me to get one, so I listened cause I really didn't know better at the time. Now I can actually see for myself that my cap really doesn't do anything, lights are still dimming just as much when the trunk is on bang :p I don't know, my friend on the other hand has two in his xterra and no dimming going on there, and hist Alt and wiring are all stock too.

You would think that a cap would help out since it is basically a store of power like a battery?? I wonder what would happen if a 5-farad cap was introduced to my trunk?? (I would never spend that much for a cap, when I could just get another battery)

I will leave the cap in for now, but when I build another system in my next car (someday), maybe I will omit the cap from the new blueprint.

<!--QuoteBegin-emersonhart
@ Jan 5, 2006, 12:47 PM
Just get a fused distribution block for your trunk... Then you can run multiple amps, each fuse independently.

John, I think I might do that, since I am toying with the idea of building a new box, maybe with some neon in the trunk that turns on when the trunk pops. I will need the extra fused circuit back there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info