3800 Motorcycles

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
I'm looking to buy a bike - something for a beginner considering I've never riden a motorcycle before, and it would be a vehicle to replace the GP for college. It'll be a lot cheaper too. Any suggestions?

Right now I really like the kawasaki Ninja 500, but maybe leaning more towards the 250, because i dont know if i need the extra displacement, plus cheaper insurance and better gas milage?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Get a 600 for sure. CBR's and YZF's make great starter bikes. Not a lot of torque, reliable, and very forgiving. Stay away from R6 and Gxr's. Nice bikes, but due to set-up are "nervous feeling" bikes; so not good for beginners.

Most of the litre bikes 900-1100cc's sound like death traps, but are actually not bad to learn on if you have self control. The power is smoother on them, and they are a tad heavier, so they ride nice.

I bought a ZX9r (the first production bike to run a 9 sec 1/4 mile stock) when I had only been riding 6 months. It was surprizingly civil.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Look for an "old-school" bike from the late 70's to early 80's. College chicks dig independant thinkers who keep grounded in the past while aiming towards the future.

On that note, I'll be selling my 79' Suzuki GS750E soon. I just have to change the brake pads and put on a new front tire and it'll be as good as new! Just the right bike for a budding college ladies man! B)

suzuki_2.jpg

Check it out, the bike even still have an auxillary kick start! Chicks love kick starters.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I have a Yamaha RX1 snowmobile it was a 1000cc 4-banger Yamaha R1 Motorcycle engine. Its pretty scarry fast, runs around 12.5 stock.

I have a few friends who have motorcycles and they all started out with some 600cc bike. Not only are the bigger bikes heavier they also cost more, and you will have higher insurance. Plus when you ride a 600cc you will realize that is enough speed for right now.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
im a big guy so rockets dont really suit me, i almost bought a 'jixer' 750 but wifey talked me out of it....last year i had an an 01 shadow and i sold it, im looking to buy a HD heritage classic...nice bike but its like 22k lol...i drove one, got financed and all that crap for a nice one this past summer but decided to wait at the last min...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info