3800 electrical gremlins

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Alright, I admit it, i need some help!

working on my 97 gtp. There seems to be a parasitic drain on the system when car is not running. the remote start brain has been unplugged from everything, and it seems that there is still a drain of about 380 mA on the system. Local shop and I did a little checking and found the following.... using the parasitic draw meter, while plugged into the cig lighter and removing main battery 2 fuse (this should be the link to glovebox fusebox) underhood made the drain disapear. using cig light adaper directly on battery and ground, with main battery fuse 2 still out leaves the 380 mA drain on. So i am getting from this that the drain does not seem to be inside the car. with meter showing drain, we removed individually each fuse/relay in the underhood box, with no change in the present 380 mA drain. Can anyone suggest things underhood that would NOT be routed through the underhood fuse box?? might a bad or badly flashed ecm cause drain?

Is it normal for a ecm to have the electric fans on for a few minutes after the car to cool it? i would think so, but not sure. This gtp does, but my regal which is basically same car does not keep fans running after use.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
hmmm
i recall seller saying it had a dhp 1.5 pcm, but it was programmed back to stock, with correct vin... i assume it would still do this fan thing?

would the pcm even possibly cause this problem?

on a possibly related note, would a slightly melted egr valve harness plug (maybe shorting one wire to another of the 4) cause a draw??

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
fyi

the car still has a stock dhp setup in the pcm, thusforth it will run the fans for 120 seconds after the car is shutoff depending on the temperature of the car. Since the car has a stock 195 t-stat in it those fans will more than likely run everytime the car is turned off then since the engine temp will be exceding the temp in the pcm.

if you would like the dhp removed let me know, i can simply flash back the stock pcm file...

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by rjaz gtp@Jan 3 2006, 09:46 AM
fyi

the car still has a stock dhp setup in the pcm, thusforth it will run the fans for 120 seconds after the car is shutoff depending on the temperature of the car. Since the car has a stock 195 t-stat in it those fans will more than likely run everytime the car is turned off then since the engine temp will be exceding the temp in the pcm.

if you would like the dhp removed let me know, i can simply flash back the stock pcm file...
[snapback]109075[/snapback]​

Thanks for the clarification rich. I may have you do that, But... why kill a dhp pcm? I think i'd rather trade/sell it for a stocker.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info