3800 Tire Sizes and Mileage

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Since I run 245/50/16 Kumo 712's in the summer and 225/60/16 GT-HR's in the winter. Would running the Kumos make my car put on more miles than with the GT-HR's because the tire sidewall is a little shorter. I was reading a for sale thread on clubgp and this guy was basicly saying because he used 225/50/16 tires, his car has more miles on it, then it would have it he would have stock sized tires.

"Miles on the odometer read 124,000 but thats off by quite a bit, I stuck on a set of 225/50/16 in tires from 50,000 miles until just recently about 110,000 miles so my best guess off the top of my head puts it at somewhere around 90k or so, just a guess"

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=27...tmode=1&smode=1

Is this true? Is there any formula to calculate how many more miles you will put on your car if you run a diffrent size tire than stock? This might be hard to understand but can some one please explain this to me.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
Yes....running a different sized tire and not compensating for it somehow, such as the mph offset acompanied by a tire-size change, will roughly throw off your odometer. It would defy geometry i believe if it didnt. im sure you could take the circumferences of the two tire sizes (stock and other) and take the ratio of the two, using them as a multiplier to the mileage to determine the actual milage. I dont think it would be 20K miles tho. Maybe 2 or 3K, but not that many miles.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
i know zzp sells a mph calibrator

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=174

that would allow the speedometer to read correctly, and not skew the speeds. It would make sense that you could somehow alter the reading the odometer is recieving in much the same way - how i have absolutely no idea. With a powertuner you can compensate for new gear ratios, which takes care of alot of stuff, but i dont know about the odometer.

Basically, i'd ask someone a little more knowledgable like zoomer or charles (someone who is on more of the technical side of things) - whereas im going off of assumed stuff i learned in high school.

Also - why do you really care what your odometer is going to read? If you're going to bigger wheels, which most people do, your mileage is going to be lower than a stock comparison, which is good.

I think all i typed was right.....i hope so......im damn tired

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• PANDA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list