3800 Any mechanics want to REALLY help out a member?

This is not grand prix related. My sister has a 99 or 00 (cant remember) grand am gt. shes been having problems w/ it since she bought it over the summer. its basically a nice shell w/ a shit engine. the dealer was a fuck and now hes closed and gone. lucky us. its at pontiac right now and they just told us she has a blown head gasket. lucky us AGAIN. my dad is livid and pontiac wants 2k, 2 FUCKING THOUSAND to fix this. does ANYONE want to make some money or know someone who can help us out? my dad does not have the money to dump into this car anymore and my sister goes to northern and needs her car....what do we do? i'm posting from work so i'll be checking back frequently. sorry if this post is a mess, trying to answer phone and type and talking w/ my dad to try and cool him down.

i'm also on aim at crazymook69.

I

imported_Theautoguy

If it's the 3100 then I'm sure its the head gaskets. There may be a possability that the intake could have been deteriorated enough by poorly maintained Dex-Cool antifreeze that it could be leaking into the engine. I've done a couple of swaps on 3100's and can tell you it's really not too difficult. It requires a head gasket set complete with the torque-to-yield bolts. That'll run around $150 combined I think.

I'd offer to fix it for a few hundred in labor but I live in Rockford and my only free time is the first week of January. Someone here should be able to do it though.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Mike, I just stopped in at our shop to get a quote for you and they're talking about the same price as the dealer. He said it's not too common for the head gaskets to fail and that they would suspect an intake gasket before checking the head gaskets.

Of course the price they quoted was for R&R on the whole top of the motor including all other gaskets.

allright. heres the update. my dad gave pontiac the go ahead to do the work. they're cutting us some brakes.

1. they're giving us a free loaner car until the work is done
2. the shaved off more money for the work.
3. they're doing both head gaskets
4. they're getting the car back to us by thursday
5. they're going over every single aspect of the car
6. they're sending the heads out to be inspected, cleaned etc
7. fixing some other issues w/ the car that would eventually hinder the damn thing
8. one year warranty on everything

the owner of the dealership has been dealing w/ my dad and he hasnt been a prick. hes been cutting us breaks left and right sooo.....while i still hate dealerships, i trust the guy. its still a bit much, but oh well. thanks guys for helping out so quick tho

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by 99gulfbluegtp@Dec 20 2005, 02:41 PM
allright. heres the update. my dad gave pontiac the go ahead to do the work. they're cutting us some brakes. 

1. they're giving us a free loaner car until the work is done
3. they're doing both head gaskets
4. they're getting the car back to us by thursday
6. they're sending the heads out to be inspected, cleaned etc
7. fixing some other issues w/ the car that would eventually hinder the damn thing
8. one year warranty on everything

[snapback]107916[/snapback]​

just FYI i work for a dealership and the above things are not the dealership 'going out of their way' we do all of the above as standard working procedures. good luck with the car!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info