3800 Sullivan Pontiac - A Snow Job???

markymarc

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
I went to Sullivan Pontiac this morning to diagnose a wheel vibration on the front left side, which turned out to be a wheel bearing I need to replace. The wheel vibrates over 50 mph under acceleration.

The advisor also told me that my 'shift adapt' reading was 'mid 20's' and told me he advised that they do a tear down on the tranny thinking I needed 'soft parts'. I tried telling him that the increased pressure is due to the DHP settings, but he wasn't buying it. He stated this spec should be reading in the low to mid teens.

He insisted that I was driving on 'borrowed time' with the transmission, despite the fact that both he and the tech admitted there is no slippage or any physical symptom of a tranny issue. It shifts as it always has, never showing signs of an issue.

I understand that you cannot diagnose an internal parts issue without doing this, but why would I commit to a $1700 job that might be unnecessary? I asked if the vibration under a load is related in any way to the tranny, to which he said no.

Am I correct in assuming that DHP increased fluid pressure is what they are seeing? This sounded like a total snow job and frankly I am a tad pissed off that they tried this. If the tranny was having issues, wouldn't I see this through some sort of slippage, or something I can feel? And isn't it an issue that would occur all at once instead of 'gradually' as he seemed to imply? The car drives fine and shifts perfectly as it always has done.

If my tranny does break, I will deal with it at that time. I don't understand what he was getting at or why but it sounded questionable to me. When I mentioned the DHP settings, his story started to change.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by markymarc@Dec 10 2005, 03:57 PM
I went to Sullivan Pontiac this morning to diagnose a wheel vibration on the front left side, which turned out to be a wheel bearing I need to replace.  The wheel vibrates over 50 mph under acceleration.

The advisor also told me that my 'shift adapt' reading was 'mid 20's' and told me he advised that they do a tear down on the tranny thinking I needed 'soft parts'.  I tried telling him that the increased pressure is due to the DHP settings, but he wasn't buying it.  He stated this spec should be reading in the low to mid teens.

He insisted that I was driving on 'borrowed time' with the transmission, despite the fact that both he and the tech admitted there is no slippage or any physical symptom of a tranny issue.  It shifts as it always has, never showing signs of an issue.

I understand that you cannot diagnose an internal parts issue without doing this, but why would I commit to a $1700 job that might be unnecessary?  I asked if the vibration under a load is related in any way to the tranny, to which he said no. 

Am I correct in assuming that DHP increased fluid pressure is what they are seeing?  This sounded like a total snow job and frankly I am a tad pissed off that they tried this.  If the tranny was having issues, wouldn't I see this through some sort of slippage, or something I can feel?  And isn't it an issue that would occur all at once instead of 'gradually' as he seemed to imply?  The car drives fine and shifts perfectly as it always has done. 

If my tranny does break, I will deal with it at that time.  I don't understand what he was getting at or why but it sounded questionable to me.  When I mentioned the DHP settings, his story started to change.
[snapback]106702[/snapback]​
go back and tell them if they try it that with another ilgpc member we'll step on his neck.........or talk to him with a stern voice and point your finger alot..................................what ever works for you ...jk

dhp does add line pressure ,so if the pressure was high that would be why

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Dec 16 2005, 06:15 PM
That's super-cheap. I wouldn't do a ball-joint for less than $100, they are a super PITA. The wheel bearing is usually not too-bad of a job.

Hit up the people on the installer's list here. Someone may be able to help you out.
[snapback]107591[/snapback]​
wow :eek: thanks for confiming my good price.. :) , I even brought the parts.. ;)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I've changed enough ball joints on these cars to realize they never come off easy. Three rivets per side, they have to be drilled through almost all the way. I usually have to resharpen the bit twice per rivet. Once they are drilled through, I use a punch to collapse the rivet to knock it out. I've got it down to a science now, but it still takes about an hour a side just to replace the BJ with the LCA already off. Suspension work is tough. It's not demanding at all about the complexity, but it's just really dirty, heavy work. The only time I break out the impact or the breaker bars.

markymarc

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
Well, I had the wheel bearing, tripod, and cv joint all replaced by Sullivan for $1200 and it did not seem to help. The vibration is back, never really went away. It happens only when I am on the throttle, the more I press down, the worse it is, still only the driver side left front wheel. It is a very pronounced vibration under heavier acceleration. I can't stand it, it is that bad. I am not a happy camper.

What else could it be?

Should I even bother going back to them again? If I do, am I within my right to ask for a break on the labor of whatever service I need now? I am thinking of going right to the service manager.

I

imported_AchillesInvention

I would never go back to the dealership. Call up European & Domestic Auto. His name is Joe. He's been my family's mechanic for 27years now. Good guy, won't screw you. 847-259-5459. He's right across the street from Harvest Bible Chapel on Rohlwing Rd. in Palatine.

markymarc

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the referral. I am going to take it back to them tomorrow first and talk with the DSM. The vibration is now a 'wobble'. Swapped tires from front to back to eliminate that possibility. Still occurring.

I already had the CV boot, a tie rod, and wheel bearing replaced. I am thinking ball joint now or spindle?

Hopefully they will not charge me for labor since the problem never went away after my $1200 visit. Honestly I don't think I should even pay for parts.

Any opinions on that?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by markymarc@Feb 5 2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the referral.  I am going to take it back to them tomorrow first and talk with the DSM.  The vibration is now a 'wobble'.  Swapped tires from front to back to eliminate that possibility.  Still occurring. 

I already had the CV boot, a tie rod, and wheel bearing replaced.  I am thinking ball joint now or spindle? 

Hopefully they will not charge me for labor since the problem never went away after my $1200 visit.  Honestly I don't think I should even pay for parts. 

Any opinions on that?
[snapback]112850[/snapback]​

Definatly not. Their original thought of your problem was wrong. So you paid $1200 for fun. Id be a little more pissed off. Take it back and tell them that they messed up and the problem is still there. And you either want a refund, or fix the problem for free since you coughed up $1200 and left with the original problem.

markymarc

Regular
Dec 17, 2008
It ended up being my passenger side half-shaft with shot bearings....

They did give me a price break to account for the unnecessary wheel bearing replacement previously.

All is good now, smooth as silk at any speed under a heavy load.

I'm still confused as to how my half-shaft went bad......

XANAX

Feb 5, 2008
IL.
Originally posted by markymarc@Feb 12 2006, 01:38 PM
It ended up being my passenger side half-shaft with shot bearings....

They did give me a price break to account for the unnecessary wheel bearing replacement previously. 

All is good now, smooth as silk at any speed under a heavy load. 

I'm still confused as to how my half-shaft went bad......
[snapback]113955[/snapback]​
are you stock horsepower

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info