3800 Dont know what to do...

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I called my dad today to get the "go ahead" to order the engine from ed morad to drop into the GTP.

My dad said yes to order it... then he said that im paying with my own money (duh). He then said that he wants me to buy the car off him. He paid for it in march of 2004 for me to have. He bought my sister (24) and me (19) our first cars... my brother paid for his GTP all himself because he worked for about 5 years before he bought it. My sister just finished paying her civic off... now its just me with "dad's car."

He gave me 2 choices which i respect....

1. Sell the car and find another for that money.
2. Buy the car off him and do whatever i want with it.

I honestly do feel that this could be the end of the line... EITHER way the engine will go into the car and i might drive it a little bit... because i can get more for the car if it has an engine in it (obvioulsy). I asked him how im supposed to buy a decent car for only 2k... then he told me that i had a seperate bank account that has $10k for me. I just found this out today. He said i can use 9k of it towards a decent car. So he figures if i buy it off him, then sell it (for probably more) i will have a litle bit more than 12k (including the cash i got left over from the mod selling + new engine fund leftovers). I am torn on what i want to do... because for a measly 2-3k more i can get a 2004 srt-4..... or a variety of high mileage cars like a 99+ stang GT, 93+ LT1 camaro...

I dunno what i wanna do.. i want a fast car (14sec or faster stock) but i also want a fuel efficient-ish car (18mpg+ city)... my GTP gets 21 city now (before engine break). I really want a manual though. I was looking around today and a friend pointed out a 1995 MTX SHO with 80k in pristine condition owned by men older than 30yrs old. Only $3250 for that. I was kind of thinking of either

1. Getting 2 cars.. a semi beater and then my cheap race car (LT1 or high mile stang GT, or 5.0)

2. Getting 1 very decent car (srt-4, newest v6 accord?, very good 5.0 stang, mid 90s BMW?)

i know its my decision, but what would you "NON-grand prix praising, but future thinking members" do?

Im 19, and will be working this winter thru fall making decent wage at a typical job. I plan on taking the car to college but still want a little speed.

TIA
Ryan

[/rant]

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
given the choices I'd go for 2 cars... daily driver and an LT1 ...

Heck... 98 LS1s are going for dirt cheap right now....

If you get the skittle or the accord you're probably going to want to mod it (once you get bit by the mod bug it's hard to find a cure) ... if it breaks then you're screwed.... but if you have 2 cars... 1 daily driver and 1 "fast" car ... if your "fast" car breaks... no biggee... no rush to get it fixed... etc....

So I'd go for some daily driver, and an LS1 or LT1 F-Body

Another thing to keep in mind... being 19 ... if you get your own insurance... a daily driver and a fast car could be cheaper than just 1 decent car that's relatively new and semi-quick

even if you're still on your parents policy... be sure to factor in insurance costs....

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by syP@Dec 9 2005, 12:44 AM
well no.. i guess i didnt say..

its either.. THE GTP gets sold and all money goes to my dad... or i buy the GTP off him for bluebook (i think) price.
[snapback]106458[/snapback]​

:confused: ?

so you can sell it and have nothing... or you can buy it and have something? so if you sell it.. you can't use that money to buy yourself something else?

I would sit down w/your dad and find out a firm price.... then decide based on that (decide financially...) Your dad will probably also appreciate it more if you tell him "Dad... I'm grateful you let me use such a great car all these years.. and want to buy it from you" rather than "Dad... I'm grateful you let me use such a great car... but sell it" heh... the first shows more responsibility (i think)

Also (my opinion only though, never been in this situation... my first 2 cars were purchased for 300 bux each) if you go into it wanting to buy the car... your dad will likely give you a pretty decent deal ...

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
In all honesty, if you cant afford to go fast, stop modding till you get outa college....

Leaving a trail a debt behind at your age is no fun once you hit 25 or so and realize what a waste half that money was.

Go to college, have a normal car, graduate, get a real job, buy whatever you want......

You want to own the car, not the other way around. Being 19 and owning 2 cars is insane.......

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
iam in kinda the same boat but mines still movin! i just want a winter beater and mod the imp while winter is here,,, but iam also college going and need a daily driver to go 65 miles aday! iam just gonna do lil mods and not really go fast just do PEM and headers and be done !but syp just get a basic car i know u want fast but is it really worth it in the end?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Originally posted by bigsammoe@Dec 9 2005, 12:10 AM
iam in kinda the same boat but mines still movin! i just want a winter beater and mod the imp while winter is here,,, but iam also college going and need a daily driver to go 65 miles aday! iam just gonna do lil mods and not really go fast just do PEM and headers and be done !but syp just get a basic car i know u want fast but is it really worth it in the end?
[snapback]106466[/snapback]​

is anything worth it in the end??? We will all just die some day anyways.. .and what we do now wont affect me once im dead... But as of now.. yes.. because that is what i like.. i love cars... racing them... tuning them (or lack of tuning :p), being around car nuts... all my friends are nuts about cars too.. its just who i am.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by bigsammoe@Dec 9 2005, 01:10 AM

...PEM AANNDD headers.......uhhhhh what one on each side?

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
being 19 and owning 2 cars is not insane. I was 19 and owned 4. I'm 21 now and own 8.

my advice is buy the gtp outright, sell it. but the dailey sho...and then buy your race car.

2 cars are the way to go in my opinion from experience. you will have a dailey that is great on gas(that you WILL NOT mod), and then the race car..which you can put any type of insurance you want on it.

again. it is YOUR decision. your a grown up. make one. eitherway you have a friend that will help you out if you get in a pickle.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by syP+Dec 9 2005, 01:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-bigsammoe
@Dec 9 2005, 12:10 AM

is anything worth it in the end??? We will all just die some day anyways.. .and what we do now wont affect me once im dead... But as of now.. yes.. because that is what i like.. i love cars... racing them... tuning them (or lack of tuning :p), being around car nuts... all my friends are nuts about cars too.. its just who i am.
[snapback]106471[/snapback]​
[/b]
WRX they are great cars and you can get a 02 or 03 for around13-16 id do that

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
I'd say get a beater and a 98-99 fbody

i dunno if you go on chitown at all but theres an 01 SS on there for 9700 kinda high mileage but still an ls1 for under 10k.

so you could keep the gtp as a dd and have an fbody as well, then buy hptuners for both cars even.

please dont buy a 4.6 stang thats all i ask.

edit:

went to chittown and found the link, looks like he's got a 96 lt1 for sale as well for 7900. Chitownracing.

U

UncleRam

Originally posted by horist+Dec 9 2005, 12:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-syP
@Dec 9 2005, 12:44 AM
well no.. i guess i didnt say..

its either.. THE GTP gets sold and all money goes to my dad... or i buy the GTP off him for bluebook (i think) price.
[snapback]106458[/snapback]​

:confused: ?

so you can sell it and have nothing... or you can buy it and have something? so if you sell it.. you can't use that money to buy yourself something else?

I would sit down w/your dad and find out a firm price.... then decide based on that (decide financially...) Your dad will probably also appreciate it more if you tell him "Dad... I'm grateful you let me use such a great car all these years.. and want to buy it from you" rather than "Dad... I'm grateful you let me use such a great car... but sell it" heh... the first shows more responsibility (i think)

Also (my opinion only though, never been in this situation... my first 2 cars were purchased for 300 bux each) if you go into it wanting to buy the car... your dad will likely give you a pretty decent deal ...
[snapback]106463[/snapback]​
[/b]
COMRADE HORIST, IT'S AMAZING WHAT A GOOD NANNY YOU CAN BE,............WHEN SOMEONE IS NOT WORKING AGAINST THE EVIL, RUSSIAN KGB.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I called my dad today to get the "go ahead" to order the engine from ed morad to drop into the GTP.

My dad said yes to order it... then he said that im paying with my own money (duh). He then said that he wants me to buy the car off him. He paid for it in march of 2004 for me to have. He bought my sister (24) and me (19) our first cars... my brother paid for his GTP all himself because he worked for about 5 years before he bought it. My sister just finished paying her civic off... now its just me with "dad's car."

He gave me 2 choices which i respect....

I honestly do feel that this could be the end of the line... EITHER way the engine will go into the car and i might drive it a little bit... because i can get more for the car if it has an engine in it (obvioulsy). I asked him how im supposed to buy a decent car for only 2k... then he told me that i had a seperate bank account that has $10k for me. I just found this out today. He said i can use 9k of it towards a decent car. So he figures if i buy it off him, then sell it (for probably more) i will have a litle bit more than 12k (including the cash i got left over from the mod selling + new engine fund leftovers). I am torn on what i want to do... because for a measly 2-3k more i can get a 2004 srt-4..... or a variety of high mileage cars like a 99+ stang GT, 93+ LT1 camaro...

I dunno what i wanna do.. i want a fast car (14sec or faster stock) but i also want a fuel efficient-ish car (18mpg+ city)... my GTP gets 21 city now (before engine break). I really want a manual though. I was looking around today and a friend pointed out a 1995 MTX SHO with 80k in pristine condition owned by men older than 30yrs old. Only $3250 for that. I was kind of thinking of either

1. Getting 2 cars.. a semi beater and then my cheap race car (LT1 or high mile stang GT, or 5.0)

2. Getting 1 very decent car (srt-4, newest v6 accord?, very good 5.0 stang, mid 90s BMW?)

i know its my decision, but what would you "NON-grand prix praising, but future thinking members" do?

Im 19, and will be working this winter thru fall making decent wage at a typical job. I plan on taking the car to college but still want a little speed.

TIA
Ryan

That really sucks your dad asks you years later for money for the car that he bought you. Did you know he was gonna make you pay for it eventruly? At least the car has lost value over the few years you had it, so your not going to be paying as much as if you bought it 2 years ago.

First of all, dont buy a Camaro/Trams AM/Mustang because there pretty useless in the winter unless you have a second car.

Second, dont finance a car such as a SRT-4 or whatever car you wanna get, that you dont have enough money to buy up-front. I have a few friends that finance cars and it really sucks. That have to pay payment after payment every month for years. By the time the car is payed off, you will be quite bored from it.

Lastly, dont take money out of that $10,000 account to buy a car. That money will be better spent later down the road when you need to buy a apartment or put a downpayment on a house.

I think you should....

A. Buy GTP from dad. (Your put alot of money into it, why sell it?)
B. Buy a cheaper car like the SHO you said.

:waiting for bumpin to come in and debate that "Being 19 and owning 2 cars is insane......." comment:

I had 3 cars towards the end of my senior year. I had just bought my GTP, and I was gonna have to sell the other 2. Between my 3 cars and my parents I drove a diffrent car to school like everyday. The office was pissed because I would come in everyday and ask for a temp parking perfmit for a diffrent car everyday. :)

I

imported_Theautoguy

Ryan,

I'd drop the motor back into your GTP and see how it runs. If you feel comfortable with it...buy it.

Otherwise;

Avoid the SHO's and WRX's because they are all hot-rodded to some point (I'm 36 and beat up on my Regal!) and those cars have CRAP for transmissions!

If you choose to go with a RWD American muscle, be preparred for the Winter. I drive a 13 second 89' Mustang through a winter once. I put snow-rated tires on all four corners and 200 lbs of sand in the back and was fine! The following year I drive a beater car and parked the Mustang.

This leads me to my last suggestion; buy a cheap beater for $2K and use the rest for a toy. Hell, for $8000 you could buy an early 70's classic muscle car like a 73' Camaro, 79' Trans Am or an assortment of other classic U S Steel! How cool would it be to park your 93' Sunbird in the Spring and pull out your 79' T/A with a 400 and 4-speed! (The 403's sucked!)

Oh, and I had 3 cars when I was 19 myself...and they all ran!

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
vipermike... yes i knew it was gonna happen.. .and whynot? im old enough.. its his car.. its been through a SHITload of work... why would my dad need to keep a wrecked car? So he is leaving me with that choice which is 100% respectable.

don... i just cant stand old cars... like old interiors.. anthing from the 80's and before. As for the SHO.. all of the owners have been above the age of 36years old.... much less of a beating than a teenager owning it... if none at all.. i am honestly thinking of going this route.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
I didn't read any posts, so sorry if it's a repeat.

Take that money and buy a beater that you wont mod. Put it into stocks, bonds, or a CD, or invest it somehow for the next 4 years. Your 10k will quickly turn into something you will like, plus you'd be less likely to touch it for mod money when it's pretty much locked in somewhere. 10k is a shitload of money for you to inherit, and at 19, the best thing you can do is to invest it and buy a cheap beater car that is good on gas. You'll appreciate your decision when mom and dad eventually piss you off and you want to leave home.

I

imported_Theautoguy

I'm serious Ryan, I got my 94' SHO from a guy in his 40's and the trans went out 4 month's later. Both the automatics and the manuals suck on these cars! It's not just me, ask around; they can't handle the horsepower or a such a high reving motor as the 3.0/3.2 Yamaha motor. Plus, those motors can be a bit maintenance heavy. Every 70K miles there is a valve maintenance routine that usually runs around $500-700 depending on who does it. There is a business in Ohio and Madison Wisconsin that specializes in SHO drivetrains that does this best. (The dealerships suck for the valve maintenance.) Oh yea, a plug wire change involves pulling the upper intake...about a 2 plus hour job!

...Why not buy a Lightning?!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I dont really know alot about SHO's. But my dad has a 02 Taurus SE with 64K He uses it as a loaner car for his body shop, but most of the time my mom drives it to work. This Taurus runs ok I guess, its only a few years old it better. But the trans on that car is just horible. The car shifts sooo hard if your not at WOT, and really feels like it has no power. Most cars gain power at higher RPMs, but this Taurus seems to bog and actually slows down when it shifts, and really lags when you go WOT from a roll. The car feels sooo slow for 160HP/185TQ it probably loses like 30% of the power through the Ford Trans. My first car (95 Monte Carlo LS) had around the same power 160/185 and weight and it feels way faster, it could break lose the tires and everything, Taurus, nope cant peelout. I looked up stats on various websites and the Monte runs around a second faster in the 1/4 than the Taurus with almost exactly the same engine sizes and HP/TQ ratings. I know there are so many other varilbles that determine 1/4 mile time, but you think these cars would run simular times. Thats a Ford trans for you.

This doesent really mean anything because I know this 02 Taurus SE with the 3.0 shitty motor is probably wayyy diffrent than the early 90's SHOs, im just telling you my expereince with Ford.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
depending on how much you can buy the car for, i would do that, then buy a civic (yes i said it civic) for a beater that will get you like 30+mpg and keep modding the gtp. you have all the knowledge you need...you sold some parts but and can buy mods when you save up a little more money (assuming some of that 10k will be used for the gtp). or do it all at once, and leave it alone (easier said than done) build that motor before you put it in the gtp (heads, valvetrain, ic, ect...) and put it in, you already have the stronger trans....and drive a beater everyday....once you have the motor work done and all the bugs are worked out, you can just work on tuning (which is free after you have a PT or afc....) so you can have a mid-low 12 sec car for weekends and drag strip and a good mileage beater (which can be a standard tranny if you want) plus money left over to save and invest which earns you interest (assuming you do the work yourself or have someone here help out..) just my 0.02 man

bottom line, i agree i wouldnt spend the whole 10k on ONE car...

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Dec 9 2005, 12:07 AM
In all honesty, if you cant afford to go fast, stop modding till you get outa college....

Leaving a trail a debt behind at your age is no fun once you hit 25 or so and realize what a waste half that money was.

Go to college, have a normal car, graduate, get a real job, buy whatever you want......

You want to own the car, not the other way around.  Being 19 and owning 2 cars is insane.......
[snapback]106464[/snapback]​

That was some profound shit my friend. Solid advice from someone who's been there/done that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info