3800 Handling in the snow

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Well, all you guys in the Chicago area are definitely getting a chance to test out our winter handling! Last night was my first time driving the 2004 GP in the snow, and I must say that I was impressed. The car handled wonderfully and the traction control (the one time I needed it) stepped in without being too intrusive. Yet another reason I'm glad I bought this car.

Anyone else had good or bad experiences with these cars in the snow or ice? Also, who's running snow tires? How much difference are you seeing in the handling with them?

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
i couldn't get the damn car to spin out, so i think it's pretty damn good, i have bridgestone affinitys which are wet/snow tires, (with an H speed tire rating). The tires still break when i get on the car hard, but otherwise i get very little spin with traction control OFF. Running with it on is like driving on dry pavement.

I wouldn't say its like AWD, cause i know my backtires aren't doing crap other than keeping me planted, but the handling is superb. Braking is another situation all together - my brakes suck

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Dec 4 2005, 12:39 PM
i couldn't get the damn car to spin out, so i think it's pretty damn good, i have bridgestone affinitys which are wet/snow tires, (with an H speed tire rating).  The I
[snapback]105783[/snapback]​

i thought affinitys were goodyear..whatever.
i think alot has to do with what kinda tires are on your car as well.
my Cooper v speed rated tires suck in the snow. i was all over the place

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
I have potenzas in the 225/60/16s in the front...tight steering is an issue. but getting traction is horrible. I got stuck in the street 4 times JUSt in my neighborhood. of course I have 245/50/16 GS-D3's in the back. going on any slight incline is impossible, even with the 540lbs in the back.

the only time I drove the gtp in the winter it was amazing....of course I did have the bridgestone blizzaks ws-40's on her. BEST winter tires ever!!!!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I always drive around with traction off. All it does is retard timing and cut fuel. I can do that by letting off the gas. Plus I read last year on clubtx (Rob Archer IIRC) popped a piston cause he was not getting fuel yet still reving the engine up.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Dec 4 2005, 11:10 PM
the only time I drove the gtp in the winter it was amazing....of course I did have the bridgestone blizzaks ws-40's on her.  BEST winter tires ever!!!!
[snapback]105837[/snapback]​

OMFg.. and the BEST summer tires i have seen too jacob.. You could keep up with a Evo 8 at the launch and smoke just about any RWD car from the launch.. Remember that??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info