3800 which rockers to buy....

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
like the title says, which rockers are going to produce more power,...or should i say is it worth going w/ the pro magnum vs a set of modified rockers. i am going to buy tog's and rockers and see how close i can get to the 12's....and if i get 1.6 ratio is there any driveability issues i need to worry about and is it necessary to upgrade valve springs? any thoughts.....

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
1.6's are stock..my 1.75 Gen1's are modified stockers.
if you want max performance then get 1.9's. you will have to upgrade to stronger spings though(105lb i THINK). . i cant comment with authority on the 1.9's.
with my 1.75's and PEMs, there isnt any driveability issues to speak of. im actually getting better gas mileage!
*EDIT* i noticed you have in your 'future upgrades' an XP cam.. you can have one or the other, but not both. i think with my 1.75's i could possibly run a mild cam.. i suggest getting the rockers. just my opinion

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
well i talked to a few people about the cam...the car is a daily driver...well for now, and i want to keep it a fun car to drive on the street...so w/ 1.9's you need to upgrade to ls6 springs and mod'd retainers right? and 1.6 is the stock ratio????

EDIT are you only able to run a 3.5 pulley?

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Dec 3 2005, 04:00 AM
well i talked to a few people about the cam...the car is a daily driver...well for now, and i want to keep it a fun car to drive on the street...so w/ 1.9's you need to upgrade to ls6 springs and mod'd retainers right?  and 1.6 is the stock ratio????

EDIT are you only able to run a 3.5 pulley?
[snapback]105719[/snapback]​

lol..dont make fun of my 3.5 pulley :unsure:
i have a 3.3 waiting to put on..
1.) i need to scan to make sure all is good
2.) im not working now so if i F something up i wont be able to afford to fix it
3.) im afraid of transmission damage even though i AM under warranty

yeah you need to upgrade to ls6 or 105 pounders n retainers..thats why i love my 1.75's ..and yeah, stock rockers are 1.6

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Dec 3 2005, 04:32 AM
not poking fun bout the pulley, i would think with pem's and rockers it would be able to run a 3.2/3.25 safely...especially with the dp...thanks for the advice...so the modified stock rockers http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php...e4289cc84e8ba75 are fine?
[snapback]105723[/snapback]​

those look sweet! although there are alot of different ones to choose from now.
pfyc.com has some 1.8's that look promising as well..heres their quote:

"SLP has released their 1.8-ratio roller rockers for 3800-Series V6 engines. These rockers will fit all 3800 Series II & III engines including Grand Prix, Regal, Monte Carlo, Impala and Camaro/Firebird. As the workhorse of GM's passenger-car powertrain lineup, the 3800 is equipped with a mild camshaft suitable for use in a variety of vehicle applications. Simply increasing the rocker-arm ratio from 1.6 to 1.8 yields valve-lift figures of .464/.459" (stock is .413/.408")-enough to boost output by as much as 10 hp, with no adverse effect on drivability."

only problem is they cost $540!! however you get pushrods pedestals and springs.
i did forget to mention pushrods before.. do your homework and get more educated opinions on these than i can offer you. . the price of the ZZP rockers is nice. . i didnt notice if you're runnin a PCM..

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Dec 3 2005, 04:54 AM
so basically to upgrade rockers, i will need new valvetrain minus camshaft and lifters...rocker arms, springs retainers ect, and pushrods...
[snapback]105726[/snapback]​

and dont forget tty 'torque to yield bolts' as well.. i can get you the GM stock# for those if ya need it. $16-$20
would be a good opportunity to put on some new v/c gaskets as well.
the $$ is flying out the window..lol.
if you upgrade to 1.9's you'll need all of that.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
as for the bolts i'll probably buy the comp cams re-usable ones and if no, i work for gm so i can get 10% above cost on everything, and yah v/c gaskets for sure. so bottom line is this...

need:
rocker arms 150-350
pushrods (specific for 1.9's or just new?)????
ls6 or equiv. springs/ret. 150
new bolts and v/c gaskets. >30

anything else?

I

imported_Theautoguy

For what it's worth; I did my homework and went with the Comp Magnum 1:8's for longevity and added strength, yellow (LS1?) valve springs and an installation kit which included bolts and gaskets. I kept my old push rods as the Regal has only 55K miles on it.

This path allowed me to keep my old rockers for any future demod reasons.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
If you want to wait I will be taking off my modified 1.9's for a cam verry soon, with those you don't need to upgrade anything if youdon't want to I have ran them on stock springs pushrods and retainers for around 10,000 miles before I upgraded, and I would help you put them in

brett

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Dec 3 2005, 05:02 PM
how soon is soon brett?  lol im not very patient.  but alright ill buy them from you...
[snapback]105756[/snapback]​
tosumitallup, 1.6 rockers...unlessit has a cam is useless, and a vs cam likes 1.7
on the exh. side only, and ithinkthe xpz uses 1.7 all over...(zoomers personal setup) and 1.9's dont need springs and retainers if milage is soem what low.. and they dont really need at all if you you dont shift above 6100-6200, ihave gen 1 1.9's and zzp, ron vogal, and even intense said the mod'd stockers just dont need them .

you do not need to upgrade the springs, retainers or pushrods to run any rockers unless you plan to rev (shift) above 6200 rpm.
I ran 1.9`s and took my car to the high 12`s.

if you are going to upgrade to a cam some day, then you will need to replace the springs and retainers at that point. also, anything above 1.7 ratio will NOT work with a cam. different cams can handle different rocker ratios and i do not know every combination. I personally ran a VS cam with stock 1.6 on the intake side and 1.7s on the exhaust side. this setup took me to the low mid 12s

the hardware you will need to replace the rockers is
1. the rockers
2. valve cover gaskets (very good idea but not necessary)
3. rocker bolts (which are TTY bolts and can only be used ONCE)

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
alright cool, i wont be adding a cam for a long time, or if i ever. the car is daily driven and has 80k on it. it wont be driven everyday after this winter, but i just want to run high 12's, 12.7-12.9 consistantly and if i can do that w/o a cam thats what i will do. does adding more lift bleed any noticable boost? i would like to run a 3.0 w/ adding headers & rockers on 93octane

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I am not shure on an exact time frame for selling the rockers I am saving up for some big mods this winter and once I have all of them the car will be torn down as soon as I take it apart I will have them ready for ya, also I did not notice any boost being blead off with theese rockers, they only give you lift, bleed off is from increased duration from my understanding or a cam in otherwords

brett

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info