3800 Just got my 2004 Grand Prix...

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
And I wanted to introduce myself. I just traded in my 2005 Scion tC on a 2004 fusion orange Grand Prix GTP with HUD, leather, and sunroof. I used to have a 1998 GTP and absolutely loved it, but had to trade it in for something with a warranty. 9 months later I've seen the error of my 4-banger ways and have returned to my true love: sport sedans. Sport sedans with gobs and gobs of power. :D

Looking forward to getting a lot of great info here and on clubgp.com as I knew a ton about my last Grand Prix and am just a noob on these 04+ ones.

welcome to the boards here
i love that orange color! now to start modding that sucker..lol.
you know you want to.. even under warranty (like i still am) you can add PEMs, a smaller pulley, some type of intake and exhaust that are either easily removed or unnoticed by the stealership. and a PCM. . no question is too stupid..better safe than sorry. . how about i trade you my already modded GTP for your bone stock GTP ;)

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Originally posted by tonzcompg04@Nov 22 2005, 11:14 AM
I heard they had a supercharger kit for that scion it just came out.  Did you see or know anything about that?
[snapback]104552[/snapback]​

Yeah, several guys have already had it installed. It cost about $3,300 plus installation (which must be through a dealer to keep warranty - about 3 hours) and increased whp to about 193. Not too bad, but PRICEY.

preussenGTP, what are PEMs? I can't add a smaller pulley (that'll definitely void my warranty) but I want to do a new intake pretty soon, followed maybe next summer by a new exhaust. Even a dealership can't claim that an intake or exhaust caused your tranny to blow or your head gasket to give out. Until the warranty is up (Sept 2008 or 80,000 miles), I'll have to make myself happy with very minor performance mods and appearance tweaks (already planning on the Inferno front air dam and 06 Special Edition rear bumper valance and want but will never shell out for the SLP Ram-Air hood). I'm also working on hard-wiring my iPod into the factory stereo with charging capability (look for a full write-up once I do).

Shouldn't be too terrible waiting to mod for bigger performance gains... this thing pulls like a sumb*tch as it is! I love this car...

ten32, PEMs are ported exhaust manifolds. . they are your stock manis ported and sometimes polished on the inside. they look bone stock cause they are.. i love mine!
you can add a 3.5 pulley(or a 3.4), but need to buy a pulley puller and remember to remove the pulley before going to the dealership. . you may want to add a PCM(powertrain control module) at some point too.. go see PFYC.com, wbodystore.com, and ZZPerformance.com for all the go fast goodies for your awesome new ride. . i suggest doing intake and exhaust mods as a first step. . i have a pulley puller if ya decide to change your mind. . arent scions those boxy looking thingys?

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Nov 23 2005, 01:01 AM
ten32, PEMs are ported exhaust manifolds. . they are your stock manis ported and sometimes polished on the inside. they look bone stock cause they are.. i love mine!
you can add a 3.5 pulley(or a 3.4), but need to buy a pulley puller and remember to remove the pulley before going to the dealership. . you may want to add a PCM(powertrain control module) at some point too.. go see PFYC.com, wbodystore.com, and ZZPerformance.com for all the go fast goodies for your awesome new ride. . i suggest doing intake and exhaust mods as a first step. . i have a pulley puller if ya decide to change your mind. . arent scions those boxy looking thingys?
[snapback]104651[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info and the offer. Much appreciated! If you had an engine issue, would the dealership techs be able to tell you've got PEMs? How much does it cost? Intake and exhaust will likely be all I can afford for the first year or so anyway, so we'll see what warranty looks like when I have some extra cash laying around.

The Scion xB is that boxy-looking thingy. I am definitely NOT a fan. I had the tC, which is this car. The xB only has 108hp, at least the tC had 160hp and (amazingly) 160lb-ft of torque. Needless to say, the vast majority of owners considered this "quick." :rolleyes:

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Well you might want to be carefull even putting a CAI (intake) on your car with warranty. The dealership can be real dickheads about it. One dealer was telling me I should remove my K&N drop in because the oil on the filter can cause problems with the MAF sensor. Which can be true to an extent but they just wanted to give me shit. I cant even imagine what they would have told me if I had my FWI or open cone on at the time. I have a custome Downpipe (2.5in) on my car and thats not a problem with the dealer. You can do some roller rockers and PEM's without the dealer knowing. Those mods are not really all that expensive and you will notice the gains. I would save up for a scanner or tuner and then go from there. Im not sure about the pre04's but plenty of 04+ have KR bone stock(brand new). Usually an avereage of 2-5. So when you do decide to slap a pulley on go with the 3.5 to be safe. Have fun :D BTW ive pretty much decided im not going to do anything else till my warranty is up. I dont need anymore hassles in my life.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info and the offer. Much appreciated! If you had an engine issue, would the dealership techs be able to tell you've got PEMs? How much does it cost? Intake and exhaust will likely be all I can afford for the first year or so anyway, so we'll see what warranty looks like when I have some extra cash laying around.

The Scion xB is that boxy-looking thingy. I am definitely NOT a fan. I had the tC, which is this car. The xB only has 108hp, at least the tC had 160hp and (amazingly) 160lb-ft of torque. Needless to say, the vast majority of owners considered this "quick." :rolleyes:
[snapback]104660[/snapback]​
[/quote]

if you got uncoated PEMs, the stealership wouldnt be able to tell(same for rocker arms).. the prices of them range from about $170 for plain uncoated to around $250 for ceramic coated ones. .the ones i have are plain except for the heat tape on the crossover pipe running underneath the throttlebody..installation can be done by a few good techs on the boards here.. if an engine issue did rear its ugly head, you can easily remove your upgraded intake and PCM if needed. .i see you're in wilmet otherwise i would have sent you the Pontiac dealership where i go cause i used to work with many of the techs and service dudes there..
damn 160HP 160ft. lbs. of torque makes my neck sore just thinking about it!..lol.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by framos242+Nov 23 2005, 12:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tonzcompg04
@Nov 23 2005, 09:35 AM
The dealership can be real dickheads about it. 

BTW ive pretty much decided im not going to do anything else till my warranty is up.  I dont need anymore hassles in my life.
[snapback]104671[/snapback]​

Stupid stealerships... :lolsign:
[snapback]104691[/snapback]​
[/b]
well some exhaust work does void some.... one guy had his voided after he put a cat back on ,which is fine but he removed the cat, and his engine blew up, and they said"the extra pressure free'd up caused a lean condition and blew it up"

a little laughable i think more have been blown up by cloged cats then ones removed if any ever did blow by removing it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info