3800 Hypothetically...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If there was a shop in Crystal Lake that knew our cars very well and had a store front/ full shop, would you drive your car up their to have someone that specializes in it work on it?

I know most of the guys here do their own work so that's why this is a hypothetical. I want you to think as if you needed someone else to do the work for you. Is Crystal Lake too far of a drive or would you make the trek? For information's sake here is the time it takes to get from Crystal Lake to some other locations:

Downers Grove: 1 hour
Palos Park: 1.5 hours
Ohare: 45 minutes
Arlington Heights: 30 minutes
Cary: 15 minutes
Rockford: 45 minutes
Chicago: 1.25 hours

Needless to say, we're looking at some property in Crystal Lake to open a shop.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
considering ZZP is about 3 times the distance, i'd say if you guys were reputable, and fair priced, yeah i'd make the trip.

is this gonna be a wbodyshop affiliated store? cause a deal on both buying and installing would be awesome advertising, i'd be sold on pems (save me a couple hours)

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by smknL67@Nov 21 2005, 11:44 PM
I'd be down to drive out there for some quality work
[snapback]104498[/snapback]​

The location is a bit far, but depending on the difficulty of the work it'd be worth it (ie cam/trans/rebuilds). If I can offer my $.02 dont just specialize in Wbods either. To really make go of it you'd need to diversify and broaden your market base. Once that was done the sky's the limit. You could support several families from the income of a good speed shop :D Best of luck 2 ya.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by 99gulfbluegtp@Nov 22 2005, 01:14 AM
id drive out there. its not too far from my house. i'd love to have a shop locally work on our cars. sick of either fixing my mistakes or having mike fix em
[snapback]104502[/snapback]​
honestly mike, do you know how to do all jobs need to get this kind of shop going.... i know your a good sales person, but are u certified or anything

or do you have mechanica already.....or have you convinced ron to give up his day job....jk

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by sinr247+Nov 22 2005, 01:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kyle
@Nov 22 2005, 01:39 AM
i'd go if you got a reputable trans guy and prices were good.

there are so many modded gps in this area i'm sure a shop would do pretty well.
[snapback]104508[/snapback]​
kyle i keep trying to get a hold of you about the timing comm. please answer your VM
[snapback]104515[/snapback]​
[/b]

pmed you

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
I mean come on, people drove and still drive to Michigan and Ohio all the time...

...driving no more than one hour to have a speed shop work on your car that they specialize in would be a dream come true for most car enthusiasts. I would say it would be a great thing to have for our community and others surrounding. I think the business would be quite steady and especially in the fall/winter season you would get a lot of business cause it is to cold to work on cars outside and most dont have the luxury of heated garages...

My 2 cents...

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Sep 9, 2008
Mike,

It would be awesome to know that there's a shop that specializes in W body cars. It would also be a good thing if it is affiliated with W Body Store, that some type of special on installtion of parts from Wbody Store could happen.

Granted, I agree that you should just work on W body cars per se, but open your specialty to a few other types.

It's a drive for me, but if I know that the work is quality. It would be worth it.

"If you build it, they will come..."

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by rjaz gtp@Nov 22 2005, 07:53 AM
I mean come on, people drove and still drive to Michigan and Ohio all the time...

...driving no more than one hour to have a speed shop work on your car that they specialize in would be a dream come true for most car enthusiasts. I would say it would be a great thing to have for our community and others surrounding. I think the business would be quite steady and especially in the fall/winter season you would get a lot of business cause it is to cold to work on cars outside and most dont have the luxury of heated garages...

My 2 cents...
[snapback]104525[/snapback]​
As long as you keep lending us those 3 jaw pullers...lol.

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS+Nov 22 2005, 12:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-migs109
@Nov 22 2005, 12:29 AM
Its a little far from South Chicago but I think it would be worth it. I would go there for sure. Especially if it were closer to Chicago.
[snapback]104504[/snapback]​

:iagree:
[snapback]104511[/snapback]​
[/b]

What they said.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If I can offer my $.02 dont just specialize in Wbods either. To really make go of it you'd need to diversify and broaden your market base. Once that was done the sky's the limit. You could support several families from the income of a good speed shop biggrin.gif Best of luck 2 ya.
We had a shop open a couple years ago that specialized in the V6 Taurus SHO, a car that hasn't been made in 10 years and totals 100,000 in production numbers. If we can run a successful shop off of that car I'm sure we can with the W bodies.

honestly mike, do you know how to do all jobs need to get this kind of shop going.... i know your a good sales person, but are u certified or anything
I've been breaking and working on cars since I can remember. I can do anything on these cars but generally hand my car over to other people for lack of time. I'm kept quite busy these days by just keeping up with emails and customers. For the longest time, people would travel from half way across the country to have us work on their SHO. If you can work on a SHO you can build a generic OHV v6/ v8 in your sleep!

We will have a full time mechanic on staff and Ron will be making cameos also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info