3800 internet trouble

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
So i got two computers connected to sbc yahoo dsl. The one that works is directly connected to the dsl modem. My other computer does not connect and it says in the task bar that it is not connected, there is a cable disconnected. All the cabels are connected, I tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers for the network device and the sbc program thing. They are connected together through the phone lines in the house not an eithernet connection, well that doesnt work either, but thats another story. Any one else ever have a problem with SBC yahoo dsl? HELP

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Nov 10 2005, 11:40 PM
So i got two computers connected to sbc yahoo dsl. The one that works is directly connected to the dsl modem. My other computer does not connect and it says in the task bar that it is not connected, there is a cable disconnected. All the cabels are connected, I tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers for the network device and the sbc program thing. They are connected together through the phone lines in the house not an eithernet connection, well that doesnt work either, but thats another story. Any one else ever have a problem with SBC yahoo dsl?  HELP
[snapback]103567[/snapback]​

did it ever work in this configuration?

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy+Nov 10 2005, 10:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-2000gpgt
@Nov 10 2005, 11:40 PM
So i got two computers connected to sbc yahoo dsl. The one that works is directly connected to the dsl modem. My other computer does not connect and it says in the task bar that it is not connected, there is a cable disconnected. All the cabels are connected, I tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers for the network device and the sbc program thing. They are connected together through the phone lines in the house not an eithernet connection, well that doesnt work either, but thats another story. Any one else ever have a problem with SBC yahoo dsl?  HELP
[snapback]103567[/snapback]​

did it ever work in this configuration?
[snapback]103570[/snapback]​
[/b]
ya it has been for a year. then tonight it just quit. It is set up the way the directions say to

I

imported_silverbullet

never had problem like that, but thank god i finally got my internet back after 2 long weeks cause of moving to different location. the only problem i notice on my dsl is, it runs slower than before. like when clicking back on the page it pause for 5 to 10 second. it been doing this for awhile now. anyone knows why? does downloading lots of files make it slower or is it the dsl itself? any geek squad here?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
rion-- clear your temporary internet files to start...

2000gpgt---

if you have windows xp, do a system restore to before the connection quit working on the remote machine (not hooked to dsl router)

and if that does not work, next do system restore on the host computer (connected to dsl router)

if neither of those work, then you may have a hardware/phone line in house issue

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Recycle everything if you havent did so. (restart computers & modem) If that doesnt work It could be a bad port on the modem or your nic card could be failing?? If all fails throw everything out the window LOL ;)

You could eliminate SBC as the problem because you have service on one computer still right?

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
You said one is directly connected to the DSL modem. how is the non working PC connected?

I do not physically see how telephone line can be used as a connection for data.

Rj-12 and Rj-45 jacks have different numbers of wires. and the RJ-45 are the only ones capable of carrying data information from router to PC or PC to router.

1 phone line (dsl line) connects to the DSL router. Than 1 PC hardwired to the router. noe the other PC should also be hardwired to the router. or you can also us wireless if you have a wireless router.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I don't think SBC provides a router unless you request it or are on one of the more expensive accounts... otherwise you go out of the DSL modem (not necessarily a router) into the computer... then you have to run their connect software... (ethernet out of the modem)

If it were me I'd just get a cheap linksys router... it can do PPPoE just fine, then run ethernet to both computers... or get a router w/wifi and run wifi on both boxes

Otherwise... sounds like you have a crossover cable from 1 computer to the other? so you're trying to use Microsoft Internet connection sharing... if so then the problem is probably on the box that connects to the internet direct.... haven't used MS Connection sharing in years so not sure what config options are available

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
tonight it is working, weird i know. I guess my mom called tech support today.

alex gtp: The computer that is not connected directly to the dsl modem has a PC Port that plugs into the USB port and the phone line plugs in to it. I am not sure how it work but it does. It came as the package thing for two computers.

I think this is the problem: I have to have these filters that go in line with all the phones. I had one on the modem and it may have been filtering out the data for the other computer. The filter i had on the modem was sitting on my desk with the modem plugged directly in to the wall and now everything works.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by horist@Nov 11 2005, 07:29 PM
you had one of the filters on your DSL Modem?  Usually those filters go on all phone lines except the DSL Modem (they filter out the lower frequencies that analog voice uses)
[snapback]103643[/snapback]​
yep, you are right, i am suprised that it work at all. It has been set up like that for a long time and never had any problems.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by horist@Nov 11 2005, 08:29 PM
you had one of the filters on your DSL Modem?  Usually those filters go on all phone lines except the DSL Modem (they filter out the lower frequencies that analog voice uses)

other way around.....:D they filter out the high frequencies that the DSL uses thats why they go on the phones and not the dsl modem...so you dont hear the DSL interference

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by chipmonk212121+Nov 12 2005, 02:09 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-horist
@Nov 11 2005, 08:29 PM
you had one of the filters on your DSL Modem?   Usually those filters go on all phone lines except the DSL Modem (they filter out the lower frequencies that analog voice uses)

other way around.....:D they filter out the high frequencies that the DSL uses thats why they go on the phones and not the dsl modem...so you dont hear the DSL interference
[snapback]103666[/snapback]​
[/b]

LOL... i had a total brain fart there... makes sense.... everything but the DSL modem uses a filter... so wtf do they care about the low frequency analog voice carp hehe

I've been outta networking for almost 4 years :( so that's my excuse :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info