Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by horist@Nov 7 2005, 11:15 AM
if you can get cable in your area then it'll blow DSL away ...  right now I have 1.5mbps downstream 384kbps upstream on my DSL (only option available) ... cable offers 8mbps down and 768 up I believe in 1 package
[snapback]103227[/snapback]​

Definatly. If comcast is an option, go for it. Especially if you have comcast cable. It will be cheaper.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Ok...heres my post from clubgp

I got a new apartment and was told I would be able to get comcast internet in the place. Haven't moved in yet 5 days later...and had comcast out this morniing.

Basically the apt building is really old..and the lines are shot for high speed. My landlord is telling me to get SBC DSL...

But I wasnt going to get a phone line, just my cell. I use my internet for work 80% of the time, as some of the programs for my work will take an hour or more to download on comcast.

I use the rest of it to play my ps2 online and browse the net.

Basically..how much slower is SBC than Comcast...and will I still be able to use my ps2 online with DSL? Ive got no experince with DSL to see if a ps2 will work....

Im fighting with them right now to try and get out of the lease, as I have my landlord on 2 voicemails saying yes I can get comcast internet, but I'm not sure how its gonna go...

12secGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Des Plaines
well.. you are in one of those "six of one, half dozen of the other" situations.. at least cost wise... the DSL line plus the phone bill you will get (whether you use it or not...) will prolly be a bit more expensive than cable.

you may want to try and work with comcast. depending on where the demarcation point is, they may be required to replace the cabling in the building... sometimes all the way up to where it enters your apt... depends on the building. You may get lucky with this if comcast does say that HSI is available in your area.

as far as speed... cable will always be faster than DSL... how fast? well that depends on alot... speed varies widely for both platforms. DSL range is from roughly 780k to 1.5mb down... cable can run from 1.5mb - 8mb down.
Do not for one moment think that just cuz comcast (or SBC.... or anyone else for that matter) tells you a downstream speed that you will reach that speed.
DSL speeds depend on how far you are from the CO and cable is shared bandwith with everyone on your trunkline, speed will vary depending on time of day.

DSL is more than adequate to run you online games... even if you only got 780k down

i dont know if the landlorn telling you that you can get HSI (and then not...) is enough to get out of a lease.. but who knows! GL to you there! :) however, you may be able to force him to upgrade the internal building cabling if comcast wont...

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
well i got out of the lease...

I had her on voicemail saying i was able to get it and wasnt...and i have a lawyer friend who told me what to say and it worked...reluctantly they did it.

They didnt wanna pay to redo the whole building so...oh well Im getting my money back at least but now gotta spend all day today moving out everything i moved yesterday

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by syP+Nov 7 2005, 01:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@Nov 7 2005, 11:09 AM
Ive had both. Comcast is faster, but since you will be upgrading from 56K, you will feel like your on a T1 line.
[snapback]103224[/snapback]​

LOL dont even get me started on the t-1 line.
[snapback]103241[/snapback]​
[/b]

When you upgrade from 56K, anything feels like a T1 line. Cept at your shitty school. :lolsign:

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
i have a basic non used tele line and sbc for 26.99....yorus is 3$ cheapers and i pay like 13 for the phone line bare........ it ALSO depends on where your location is compared to the cable node and the central office.......the closer you are to the central office w/ DSL the faster........my speeds are ridiculously fast........i have dsl.........and if your close to the cable node.....your speeds are slower......cable is 6 mbps and IF you pay 10$ more a month you can get the 8 mbps. cable internet is like 60$ a month if you dont have comcast and like 42 if you do... after the 6 months trial....and if you have old or cheap quality cables running through the apartment building.....you lose even more signal........if your on cable......and everyone around you is too......you lose bandwidth.............PLUS the modem is free........cable modems cost about 80$ or you can rent them from comcast......PLUS when your cable tv goes out....your comcast goes out too.......and its goes out 10x more than your DSL will..........
Bottom line.........
Cable MAY be faster...........
DSL is much cheaper.........
DSL is much more reliable........

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by 12secGTP@Nov 7 2005, 01:07 PM
well.. you are in one of those "six of one, half dozen of the other" situations.. at least cost wise... the DSL line plus the phone bill you will get (whether you use it or not...) will prolly be a bit more expensive than cable.
[snapback]103239[/snapback]​

Working for SBC (not sales) I would have to say it depends on actual phone usage.

Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Nov 7 2005, 10:02 PM
DSL is much more reliable........
[snapback]103286[/snapback]​

Not true I actually have DSL problems quite often but cant really complain since I get discounted. :D

DSL is just fine for me when I go on PS2 Online. I would love to have Cable at DSL prices. Dam if SBC read this I would be fired :lolsign:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info