3800 A few questions

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Ok guys/gals the few times i've posted here, you have been most helpful. I am lookin for a medium/high mileage gtp to drive. I found one with 108k miles, not too shabby, but is a 97... are there common problems that i should be looking for on these? I think it does need the fuel sender unit, since when i test drove it, the gauge read 1/4 and the DIC was dinging at me saying low fuel....
also, has ayone had any experience with not passing local emissions testing while having an 02 sensor simulator on? this car has no cat, and the dual exhaust is rather loud, which i may get used to or may change, just dont want to shell out the bucks for this car if it is gonnna be problems

help??

thanks!

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Nov 6 2005, 07:44 PM
Yep i would stay away from 97's, even some 98's. They are know to have craked heads as well as the other common gp problems. Try to find a 99 or newer.
[snapback]103183[/snapback]​
2001's have cooler steering wheels and a plastic fuel tank(i guess its slightly lighter off ur rearend), and its got all the 99+ features and onstar if u like that sort of thing

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by sinr247+Nov 6 2005, 07:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-2000gpgt
@Nov 6 2005, 07:44 PM
Yep i would stay away from 97's, even some 98's. They are know to have craked heads as well as the other common gp problems. Try to find a 99 or newer.
[snapback]103183[/snapback]​
2001's have cooler steering wheels and a plastic fuel tank(i guess its slightly lighter off ur rearend), and its got all the 99+ features and onstar if u like that sort of thing
[snapback]103186[/snapback]​
[/b]

IMO, I like the 97-2000 Steering wheel.

97 isnt bad. Lots of 97s out there with high mileage. IIRC GM put a tad bit stronger input shaft in the 97 tranny.

I dont know if 97 came with the digital dual HVAC system, and if it did it displayed in green. Same in 98. In 99 and 2000 the readout on the digital HVAC was red. They took it out in 2001.

They also took out performance shift in 2001. In 98 the PS light was displayed in the dash where in 97 and 99-2000 it was in the DIC.

Here is a list of changes from 97-02.

IMO, there is nothing wrong in buying a high mileage GP. The 3800 is a workhorse. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Id be more worried about a tranny before an engine.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy@Nov 7 2005, 01:28 AM
yeah this 97 has the dual climates with green readout... could that swap out with the red from like a 99?
[snapback]103205[/snapback]​

I dont see why it wouldnt work. You could also try to swap the bulbs inside the unit. But Id rather just replace it. :D

Plus its just one of those things where it sucks, but its not on top of your list to change.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Fish+Nov 7 2005, 04:03 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gmcjimmyguy
@Nov 7 2005, 01:28 AM
yeah this 97 has the dual climates with green readout... could that swap out with the red from like a 99?

I dont see why it wouldnt work. You could also try to swap the bulbs inside the unit. But Id rather just replace it. :D

Plus its just one of those things where it sucks, but its not on top of your list to change.
[snapback]103209[/snapback]​
[/b]

yeah, its not a biggie...

and even if there are some differences with the 97's if in stock form, no major mods, i gotta think that the motor/trans shouldnt be that big of an issue, it would more lie in the other electrical oddities, like blower motor electronics and the fuel sending unit stuff...

which still needs to be answered... if your fuel gauge was not acurate, would you look at the fuel sending unit first or the dic first?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy+Nov 7 2005, 12:34 PM-->
Originally posted by Fish@Nov 7 2005, 04:03 AM

and even if there are some differences with the 97's if in stock form, no major mods, i gotta think that the motor/trans shouldnt be that big of an issue, it would more lie in the other electrical oddities, like blower motor electronics and the fuel sending unit stuff...

which still needs to be answered... if your fuel gauge was not acurate, would you look at the fuel sending unit first or the dic first?
[snapback]103232[/snapback]​
[/b]
yeah why do the older ones have only 1 vac line coming off the map and i have two, when i went off the boost gauge install pages i think it was the ontario gp club it has 1 90 deg. bend., and mine has a"t" with two lines, so know i have three lines coming off of it

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by sinr247+Nov 7 2005, 06:27 PM-->
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy@Nov 7 2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Fish@Nov 7 2005, 04:03 AM

[snapback]103232[/snapback]​
yeah why do the older ones have only 1 vac line coming off the map and i have two, when i went off the boost gauge install pages i think it was the ontario gp club it has 1 90 deg. bend., and mine has a"t" with two lines, so know i have three lines coming off of it
[snapback]103258[/snapback]​
[/b]

what does this have to do with my question?

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
it all varies on the car.

saying 97 is a bad year is not really accurate.

i ran a 97 se (3800) up to 127K miles. Only repair ..... alternator.

Hell, I put a CSC kit on it for 11K miles and then I needed a trans.. (no shocker there). But the engine kept on ticking, etc.

If you have a specific car in mind, get the vin, do a carfax and if you have a buddy at a GM Dealer, they can pull the service history. If the car has been in the shop alot, maybe stay away; however, if its pretty clear, go for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info