3800 Outer Tie Rod help needed

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I thought this was going to be easy, but it's turning out to be an ordeal.

How do I get the outer tie rod off the rod? It's easy enough to get the lower nut off the knuckle. Then that pops right out. But now the tie rod itself needs to unscrew off the rod. I've tried holding the rod with a 1/2 wrench and adjustable wrench, then try turning the tie rod, but thats on there right. I've been gentle with it so far, since I dont want to mess up my rack.

I did a search on ClubGP and there was talk about an adjusting nut. What adjusting nut?!?!

Any tips would be great. I need to get it done within the hour to free up the garage.

Thanks,
J.E.T.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
At the inner part of the outer Tierod there is a nut.

I didnt think I needed to, but I opened the Helms manual for this simple job. Sure enough, there is a nut on the picture that butts up againts the outer tie rod.

However, on on 2001 GTP, there is no such animal.

So, it looks like its just a matter of getting a good grip on the rod (flat spot) and then turning the outer tie rod part counterclockwise. But I cant get a good grip on the rod using and adjustable wrenches or 1/2" wrench. The grip starts to slide of when I put force on turning the outer tie rod.

Don't forget to mark it to preserve your alignment!
Ya! I marked it when a little paint before I started.

I've also sprayed it it PB Blaster.

Maybe I'm just turning into a weak old man. Dammit.

J.E.T.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Finally got this job done on my GP. Here is some info that will hopefully help others in the future.

Pricing the part, the Moog's were the most expensive going up to $75. Moog's are suppose to be the best though. I ended up with GM's part (part # 89047698) for $22. The orig tie rods lasted 75K miles. So these GM tie rods should last me till 150K miles. By that time, I probably wont have the car anymore. Hence my reasoning to buy the GM part.

I also found a tech article concerning our GP tie rod ends.

This information applies to:
1997-2001 Buick Century, Regal, Chevrolet Venture, Oldsmobile Silhouette, Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana
1997-2003 Cadillac Seville
1998-2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2000-01 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2000-03 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue, Cadillac DeVille, Pontiac Bonneville
2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora
2001 Pontiac Aztek

A new outer tie rod end service kit has been released which is the same tie rod end that went into production on the vehicles listed above. The kit includes:
- a revised tie rod end with improved boot that eliminates the possibility of water intrusion into the tie rod end which can cause premature wear out condition
- emory cloth
- an instruction sheet.

When replacing the outer tie rod ends, use the improved tie rod end service kit and modify the knuckles according to this procedure.
- Remove the outer tie rod end from the inner tie rod assembly; count the number of revolutions it takes to remove the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod and record it. Discard the outer tie rod end.
- Use the emery cloth supplied in the service kit to remove the sharp edge on the knuckle. The photos show the knuckle before (fig. 6) sanding and after (fig. 7) sanding.

IMPORTANT: When sanding the knuckle, AVOID REMOVING excessive material. USE ONLY the emery cloth supplied in the service kit. DO NOT use any other abrasive, which may remove excessive material from the knuckle.
- Ensure that the sharp edge and the flashing on the knuckle are removed from the outer tie rod end boot/seal area. (fig.8)
- Install the new outer tie rod end supplied in the service kit by screwing the outer tie rod end onto the inner tie rod end assembly.
- Turn the outer tie rod end as many turns as it took to remove the old outer tie rod end from the inner tie rod end assembly.
- Install the prevailing torque nut to the outer tie rod assembly.
- Inspect the front toe and adjust if necessary. Refer to Front Toe Adjustment, SI Document 580777.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info