3800 Mod For Mod: 98 versus 04 GTP

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
The 04 GTP has 20 more horsepower, however runs about the same times as the earlier years. Why? But that aside, is one more mod friendly than the other?

I'm trying to decide on moding my 98 further, or just waiting to get an 04 and then work it. I'm in love with my 98, however its kinda beat up, so i may keep it as a winter car and just have two GTP's. Either way, i guess the question is, where would my money be best spent.....in my 98 or in a 04, miles and age not a factor.

thanks
Bryce

redgt03

Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Peoria, il
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Nov 4 2005, 07:25 AM
The 04 GTP has 20 more horsepower, however runs about the same times as the earlier years.  Why? But that aside, is one more mod friendly than the other? 

I'm trying to decide on moding my 98 further, or just waiting to get an 04 and then work it.  I'm in love with my 98, however its kinda beat up, so i may keep it as a winter car and just have two GTP's.  Either way, i guess the question is, where would my money be best spent.....in my 98 or in a 04, miles and age not a factor.

thanks
Bryce
[snapback]103058[/snapback]​

if you 98 is beat up, then I would go with the 04....unless you want to pull the engine/trans out of the 98 and rebuild it all.....20 horsepower wont make much of a difference in the 1/4 mile...that is why the times are pretty much the same.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by J.E.T.+Nov 4 2005, 01:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tonzcompg04
@Nov 4 2005, 12:06 PM
I would try and get into a 05 if possible.  They tweaked a few things in 05.
[snapback]103077[/snapback]​

Like? Please educate :) .
[snapback]103085[/snapback]​
[/b]

I didnt mean performance wise. Mostly alot of stupid things like shaky headlights , suspension TSB(not exactly sure), etc.... there are a few out there. The 05's have taken care of most of the little things. You also get rear seat cupholders and MP3 capable radio. If you can pull it off financially then go 05. If not just go 04 and get a history so you can see what has been done.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
well i already have an 04 in the family, thats been pretty well taken care of. it would kinda just transfer down to me for cheap, otherwise its gonna go sometime soon, and i would keep the 98.

with the 04 the little stuff like headlights and such, i can always rig up to work if they bug me too much, and torque management isn't much of a problem with a powrtuner. however you speak of suspension stuff......what kinda problems? ill check clubgp for more info, as ive been trying to educate myself, but if you wanna clue me in that would be super. thanks

-bryce

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info