3800 holy shit i have a problem

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
ok guys so i go to hook up my timing commander its been in the car but not hooked up to the iat wire,

first off
with my iat hooked up like stock, i got 51*
with it unplugged i got 69584*
with the timming commander it says 275* no matter what i change the dial to

now with the commander hooked up i went out and scanned with it saying 275, it dropped a couple of times to 264 but that was the most, and i still had my normal timing of 13.5 to 14.5 at WOT
no knock, with the iat unplugged i got the same thing,

now i got this pcm from fish who got it from rivman at dhp, is there a possiblity rivman never put the feature in the pcm would that be why im getting those fucked up readings, cause my timing is low and i want to crank it back up to at least stock, i guess when u mess with ur afc, it lowers timming if add fuel.... they never tell u about that... but its true, ive been testing this theory afte ron vogal should me his graphs on his powertuner

but back to the problem has anyone had this happen ot them, ive heard of it being stuck on +7 and causing knock, but commanding what should be -8's iat temp

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
the temperature readings you are seeing are not from the pcm its from the input from the IAT sensor or now your timing commander.

The way this trick works is that there is a table that is modified in the pcm air temp vs cylinder pressure vs timing. For a given air temp, we can tweak timing.

So what we do is we make it so that at select temperatures we tell the pcm to overall add or subtract timing.

the timing commander or the happy knob or the slp timing module or the 1.99 10K potentiometer from rat shack all work by lying to the pcm about the temperature.

The iat sensor is nothing more than a temperature sensitive resistor. If you know the proper resistance values, you can "fool" the pcm into seeing whatever temperature you like and that in turn triggers the timing adjustment.

The pcm/scantool will report whatever temperature it sees based on the resistance of the IAT circuit. If its reporting a weird value, you'll want to check how you have that circuit connected as something isn't wrong there. This WILL affect the timing as whatever temp you are seeing, it will try to match that up to the timing table (if its within -40 to +80 C). You CANNOT go colder than -40 but you MIGHT be able to get the pcm to report a higher value than 80C .... If the value the pcm sees is outside of the this window, its probably going ot ignore the data.

However, you need to be careful if you have timing tables in the pcm and you have something driving the IAT that is not working correctly... Imagine the following scenario.

PCM
-----
0 C (32F) = +6 degrees
10 C = +4 deg
20 C = +2 deg
30 C = +0 deg
40 C = -2 deg
50 C = -4 deg
60 C = -6 deg

Now, the way it should work is you hook up your timing contro ldevice and you "dial in" +4. What this actually does is set the resistance necessary to make the pcm see ... 10 C

*IF* you have a malfunctioning device or you have the normal IAT hooked up, if it hits a valid temp, you're going to get the timing associated with it. For instance, say your device sets it to 0C all the time... Guess what, you're going ot get +6 timing ALL THE TIME. This is not a good scenario.

The best thing to do until you can figure out the issue with the temp readings is to just disconnect the IAT. This will default it to -40 (or real close). The standard timing table makes no changes at that temp so it would be "safe"... You will most likely get your SES illuminated, but it will clear once the circuit is reconnected.

HTH

Originally posted by sinr247@Nov 1 2005, 09:39 PM
ok guys so i go to hook up my timing commander its been in the car but not hooked up to the iat wire,

but back to the problem has anyone had this happen ot them, ive heard of it being stuck on +7 and causing knock, but commanding what should be -8's iat temp
[snapback]102887[/snapback]​

Email me and we can get it tested to see if it is the timing commander at fault. You haveto make sure that the positive and ground are good and clean. The only reason the timing commander would stick at a value is if it is not a good, clean postiive and ground. So far, I have heard of only one problem with the timing commanders out there (that was ron's) and it turned out to be a wiring problem. Let me know and we can work through it.

EDIT: Make sure the connection at the IAT is connected well also. Thinking back, I believe that was Ron's problem.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by DaytonaPaceCar+Nov 2 2005, 10:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sinr247
@Nov 1 2005, 09:39 PM

Email me and we can get it tested to see if it is the timing commander at fault. You haveto make sure that the positive and ground are good and clean. The only reason the timing commander would stick at a value is if it is not a good, clean postiive and ground. So far, I have heard of only one problem with the timing commanders out there (that was ron's) and it turned out to be a wiring problem. Let me know and we can work through it.

EDIT: Make sure the connection at the IAT is connected well also. Thinking back, I believe that was Ron's problem.
[snapback]102915[/snapback]​
[/b]
My problem was my own fault. I had to splice in the IAT because my connector was long gone. During my header install, I pulled the motor forward and damaged one of the wires. I also used a "suspect" power source; which I have since fixed. The unit works fine for me now.

If the IAT wires are switched, or one of the leads gets grounded, I saw a floating resistance, and a corresponding floating temperature reading. I'm leaning toward Bob's problem being the power source to the unit.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Ron Vogel+Nov 2 2005, 01:03 PM-->
Originally posted by DaytonaPaceCar@Nov 2 2005, 10:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-sinr247
@Nov 1 2005, 09:39 PM

[snapback]102915[/snapback]​
My problem was my own fault. I had to splice in the IAT because my connector was long gone. During my header install, I pulled the motor forward and damaged one of the wires. I also used a "suspect" power source; which I have since fixed. The unit works fine for me now.

If the IAT wires are switched, or one of the leads gets grounded, I saw a floating resistance, and a corresponding floating temperature reading. I'm leaning toward Bob's problem being the power source to the unit.
[snapback]102918[/snapback]​
[/b]
well ron tested it tonight and nothing power is fine and ground is clean, but still no go, my guess is either the timming commander or the pcm table was never installed, im leaning towards the pcm

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
did you read a word i typed ?

IAT tables being stock, modified, or otherwise would not cause you to have weird temperature readings...

first off

275 F = 120C. ZERO, nada, zilch, zero, zip, timing adjustment would occur with a standard timing table if the IAT is reading 275degrees....... Now if you leave IAT connected and you're seeing ambient around 51 F that would come out to ... . -4 C and that would equate to about +1 degree of advance ....... Either scenario isn't going to allow you to see a change in timing (that is noticeable).

Go to radioshack and ask for a 10K linear potentiometer. They are $1.79. Get a scantool and monitor IAT temp. Dial it to +60C. Then go drive the car wot and monitor timing. You should be down quite a bit of timing. Lower the temp and at WOT you will see the timing increase.

NOTE : The timing table is not adjusted at idle so checking idle spark advance will not be helpful you will need to verify timing while at WOT.

NOTE 2 : You need to monitor KR and Timing at WOT. If you have knock, you will not be able to get more timing even if the knob is set to allow for more timing; however, yo ushould have more KR than you would with the knob with the timing adjusted downward....

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by beyerch@Nov 3 2005, 12:54 AM
did you read a word i typed ?

IAT tables being stock, modified, or otherwise would not cause you to have weird temperature readings...

first off

275 F = 120C. ZERO, nada, zilch, zero, zip, timing adjustment would occur with a standard timing table if the IAT is reading 275degrees....... Now if you leave IAT connected and you're seeing ambient around 51 F that would come out to ... . -4 C and that would equate to about +1 degree of advance ....... Either scenario isn't going to allow you to see a change in timing (that is noticeable).

Go to radioshack and ask for a 10K linear potentiometer. They are $1.79. Get a scantool and monitor IAT temp. Dial it to +60C. Then go drive the car wot and monitor timing. You should be down quite a bit of timing. Lower the temp and at WOT you will see the timing increase.

NOTE : The timing table is not adjusted at idle so checking idle spark advance will not be helpful you will need to verify timing while at WOT.

NOTE 2 : You need to monitor KR and Timing at WOT. If you have knock, you will not be able to get more timing even if the knob is set to allow for more timing; however, yo ushould have more KR than you would with the knob with the timing adjusted downward....
[snapback]102963[/snapback]​
yeah i am, but honestly i dont think it was put in to my pcm, i will only be adding timing with race gas, and posibly alky soon, ill talk to you 2maro about it,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Sinister Drag Designs
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list