3800 E85

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
irst... our cars aren't designed to run on flex fuel (at least I don't believe so?

second... E85 is only about 70% as efficient as regular gasoline... but most places I've seen E85 is almost the same price as regular...

70% efficient means that it takes 10 gallons of E85 to go the same distance you could with 7 gallons of regular gas ... (stoich for E85 is around 9.5:1 stoich for regular gasoline is around 14.7:1 ... so calculated that would be about 64% as efficient.. but from a few sites I've read it's anywhere from 60% to 80% as efficient as gasoline... must places seem to reference 70%)

Also since it is less efficient the injector needs to spray more fuel... so the injectors are open longer ....

Lemme put it this way... right now if normal gas is 3 bux... E85 at 2.10 would be the break even price.... so unless you can get it cheaper than that it will cost you more

(the above isn't 100% accurate since our gas already contains up to 10% ethanol... but you get the idea)

E85 has the advantage of being something like 110 octane... but it's not as efficient

http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php excellent site for more information on this

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Its not uspposed to be a cost benefit issue. Its supposed to be an emissions improving fuel, but in the end it just wastes more fuel, hence adding to the problem.

Its essentially the opposite of diesel. Diesel gets better mileage, but the greens in this country think that it is bad because of particulate emissions. However when you add up the mileage savings of diesel over gas it is more emissions friendly than gasoline.

Some people would rather make the appearance doing something instead of actually doing something.

BC

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by sweetness@Oct 28 2005, 12:04 AM
Its not uspposed to be a cost benefit issue.  Its supposed to be an emissions improving fuel, but in the end it just wastes more fuel, hence adding to the problem. 

[snapback]102439[/snapback]​

wrong... it IS supposed to be a cost issue... but most gas stations jack the prices up...

E85 should be cheap (for us in the midwest especially!) ... but the problem is most people are morons.. and would pay 2.50/gallon for E85 when regular is 2.70/gallon ... most don't realize that E85 will lose mileage compared to gasoline.....

and Most gas stations around here try to take advantage of morons ....

when I was on the hot rod power tour... I was paying 2.90 for premium and E85 wsa 2.03/gallon... fact is... E85 SHOULD be much cheaper than regular gas (it should be 1/2 the price) but most people are stupid so it's a very profitable fuel (regular joe fills up on cheapest possible... and then you have the enviro moron... that doesn't realize he's using more)

U

UncleRam

Originally posted by horist+Oct 28 2005, 01:23 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sweetness
@Oct 28 2005, 12:04 AM
Its not uspposed to be a cost benefit issue.  Its supposed to be an emissions improving fuel, but in the end it just wastes more fuel, hence adding to the problem. 

[snapback]102439[/snapback]​

wrong... it IS supposed to be a cost issue... but most gas stations jack the prices up...

E85 should be cheap (for us in the midwest especially!) ... but the problem is most people are morons.. and would pay 2.50/gallon for E85 when regular is 2.70/gallon ... most don't realize that E85 will lose mileage compared to gasoline.....

and Most gas stations around here try to take advantage of morons ....

when I was on the hot rod power tour... I was paying 2.90 for premium and E85 wsa 2.03/gallon... fact is... E85 SHOULD be much cheaper than regular gas (it should be 1/2 the price) but most people are stupid so it's a very profitable fuel (regular joe fills up on cheapest possible... and then you have the enviro moron... that doesn't realize he's using more)
[snapback]102447[/snapback]​
[/b]
COMRADE E85 HORIST FROM MOSCOW, SINCE THE RUSSIAN MILITARY IN WISCONSIN TELLS UNCLE RAM THAT AMERICANS ARE STUPID BECAUSE THEY DON'T THINK, EXCEPT FOR UNCLE RAM, AND "YOU" SAY MOST PEOPLE ARE MORONS AND MOST PEOPLE ARE STUPID, DOESN'T "MOST" PEOPLE ALSO INCLUDE THE RUSSIANS?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info