3800 Sweaking noise from GMPP struts/springs

I purchaced the GMPP struts and springs from ZZP about 3-4 months ago. I installed them right away and a few weeks later I noticed a sweaking noise from the left front side when i hit a decent size bump on the road. Now dont get me wrong i dont hit potholes or huge sewer caps, these are just average size bumps. I dont notice much of a pull from that side or any less performance from that side.

Ive replaced tie rod ends and bushings on both sides, (i think thats what theyre called, sorry for the ignorance). I also had the left side axle boots redone by a local driveshaft shop thinking that was a problem because it was flinging grease in my wheel well. So i thought replacing these parts would help the sweaking, it didnt. My car did need to have these parts changed out and handles a little better because of it.

My question to everyone is what should i do with this strut/spring? This is the only thing i can see that would be making this noise. Do i talk with ZZP? Is there a possiblity that Ive recieved a bad strut/spring? Im gonna email ZZP tonight and see what they have to say.

What should i do, anyone else having this problem.Sorry its so long but any help would be much appreciated

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by Fish@Oct 17 2005, 09:21 AM
They should get back to you pretty quick if you emailed ZZP. I had to wait when I ordered mine cause the last 2 pairs had a problem with them.
[snapback]101346[/snapback]​
are you saying these things are shitty?

whatever happened to royal with his screwed up set?

i love my KYB's better everyday

Originally posted by Fish@Oct 17 2005, 09:21 AM
They should get back to you pretty quick if you emailed ZZP. I had to wait when I ordered mine cause the last 2 pairs had a problem with them.
[snapback]101346[/snapback]​

what was wrong with them that you had to get another set? Did you send yours in or did they send out new ones and then you sent yours in? Im sure you got dicked on your alignments too.

Sorry i lied earlier, i didnt send them an email till this afternoon, i got distracted. Ill let you know what they say when i hopefully hear a reply.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
my one side is still 1 inch higher.......not my imagination either..

GMPP told me to start checking sizes and tolerances.......sounds like another company I know!>? :eek: :ph34r: :angry:

Anyway, they made it sound so difficult to get a new one I gave up.....GMPP direct sucks along with thier customer service.....

Add that to the shitty vendors we have...

I now believe i will add "another" shitty vendor to my list now that they have had a 350 dollar part for 3.5 months on repair!!!!!!!!!!

Im now getting finger pointing from them and thier supplier......and the supplier now says they are not shure they even have my part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry:

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Oct 17 2005, 11:54 PM
my one side is still 1 inch higher.......not my imagination either..

GMPP told me to start checking sizes and tolerances.......sounds like another company I know!>? :eek:  :ph34r:  :angry:

Anyway, they made it sound so difficult to get a new one I gave up.....GMPP direct sucks along with thier customer service.....

Add that to the shitty vendors we have...

I now believe i will add "another" shitty vendor to my list now that they have had a 350 dollar part for 3.5 months on repair!!!!!!!!!!

Im now getting finger pointing from them and thier supplier......and the supplier now says they are not shure they even have my part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:
[snapback]101445[/snapback]​

Thats some b.s. man, sorry to hear about that going down.

I didnt hear back from zzp today and here's what they said. Please understand that im not trying to knock down zzp at all, I just want some opinions from you guys that have this suspension and simalar problems.

"I would recommend bringing the car to a shop that can simulate road conditions in the garage to pinpoint the noise. I have never heard of a GMPP strut making that noise. The spring on the rubber pad maybe, but I can't see how the stut would make noise.

In sending a replacement strut, we charge you for one and then send you a new one. If yours isn't bad you'll be docked 20% on the order so make sure you are sure. Color isn't guranteed and could be orange or red."

Well here's my thought on the whole thing; Ive never heard of a shop where they can simulate road conditions around here. If there really is such a place im sure i would get raped on the price to have it done.

Anyways, im just gonna drive it for now because like i said, its not affecting the ride quality at all, it just makes my car sound like a piece of shit sometimes. Im going to talk to some old friends that are mechanics and have them take a ride with me and see if they can tell what it is. Im just getting real tired of replacing related suspension parts when they could have been held off for a while. Im kinda glad i did them so i know nothing is going to randomly break on me. If im up at a meet with you some of you guys with this suspension Ill take you for a ride and let you hear what im talking about, im baffled.

By the way where is ZZP out of? Are they in Illinois? Is there a GMPP place around here that i can maybe go to and explain/show them my problem. Ok i think im done venting, thanks again for everyone's input!!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You really can't blame ZZP for this as they don't make the part or have any control over it's quality. FWIW, the GMPP kits are generally considered very high quality.

The squeaking sounds like a failing strut bearing. Can you recreate the sound by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock or by pushing down on that corner of the car and bouncing it?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
there are 2 or 3 certified shops that deal with GMPP.......ones is in Burbank ......Rizza Chevy....81st and Harlem.....

They told me to make an apointment they would check it out and then get a new one the next time I came in......

I sent numerous pictures, etc, etc.....I was in college and to busy to fix it.

GMPP told me to give measurements and all....what a joke.........I told them that it was to long.......It was up in the air and I measured a couple things........1 inch to long........probably a stock strut mixed in w the bunch painted red... :blink:

Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 19 2005, 09:07 PM
You really can't blame ZZP for this as they don't make the part or have any control over it's quality.  FWIW, the GMPP kits are generally considered very high quality. 

The squeaking sounds like a failing strut bearing.  Can you recreate the sound by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock or by pushing down on that corner of the car and bouncing it?
[snapback]101682[/snapback]​

the suspesion is so dam tight i can barely push down on it and no it doesnt make a noise when i do that. It only makes the noise when i hit a bump on the left front. I havent done the strut bearing yet so ill check into that, thanks alot guys!

Originally posted by BigJermGTP@Oct 13 2005, 11:45 PM
I purchaced the GMPP struts and springs from ZZP about 3-4 months ago. I installed them right away and a few weeks later I noticed a sweaking noise from the left front side when i hit a decent size bump on the road. Now dont get me wrong i dont hit potholes or huge sewer caps, these are just average size bumps. I dont notice much of a pull from that side or any less performance from that side.

Ive replaced tie rod ends and bushings on both sides, (i think thats what theyre called, sorry for the ignorance). I also had the left side axle boots redone by a local driveshaft shop thinking that was a problem because it was flinging grease in my wheel well. So i thought replacing these parts would help the sweaking, it didnt. My car did need to have these parts changed out and handles a little better because of it.

My question to everyone is what should i do with this strut/spring? This is the only thing i can see that would be making this noise. Do i talk with ZZP? Is there a possiblity that Ive recieved a bad strut/spring? Im gonna email ZZP tonight and see what they have to say.

What should i do, anyone else having this problem.Sorry its so long but any help would be much appreciated
[snapback]101091[/snapback]​

wow look at those rims!! i think u should stop there on that turd!

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Oct 21 2005, 01:29 AM
Raven, are you talking to me?

Evarything was new on my setup......

Trust me, the strut housing is 1 inch long on the drivers side......
[snapback]101776[/snapback]​
Are you sure that the spring is monted in the strut right? the ends of the spring have to be put in a specific place om the strut.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info