3800 Help - my car doesnt like staying on.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
My car's battery ran all the way down one day, so i put in a new one, and everything was pretty much cool, except randomly, 30 secondsish after starting it up, my car would die. everything would still be on, but the engine would die, and i could start it right back up.

I altered the DHP bin file with the powertuner, didnt make any major changes, just turned off the fans running after i shut off (its cold i dont need it), like i said nothing major.

so i got around to flashing a new PCM file to the PCM around 5 o clock. i take it out, and i turn onto my street from the driveway, get goin about 40 (i live on a 35 mph road) and it dies on me. Ok, so thats cool, except its rushhour and i look in my rear view and see a line of cars barrelin down on me doin 45+.

i throw on the hazards, into park, go to start it up - doesnt start (fuck) - so im turning the key, things are goin crazy behind me, finally it starts, and i gun it, make it onto a side road, and all is good. i scan for DTC's nothing turns up. my voltage was 11.7 so i dont know what the hell is up with my car. i just doesnt like staying on. I dont think its stalling, cause why would it?

Could i just be having some weird electrical problems? Either way i dont want my car shuting off as i go to make a turn against oncoming traffic, or something to that degree.

OH YEAH!!! - when i first flashed it, my idle was at 1200 rpm, i put it into reverse, and then drive, and it back into park at the end of my driveway, and it was still 1200. after it stalled out, it idled at 900 like normal. plus my ABS brake light was flashing every so often for a second. why would the idle have risen? it didnt before when i've flashed in the past, and i noticed the raised stall by the engine reving higher not by the tach. it kinda spooked me cause i wasnt used to it. and what's with the brake light?

During the flash, my rpm gauge jumped every second like, just bounced...is that normal?

And when my car stalled out from 40 (stalled cause i dont know what else to call it) the rpms went literally insane, the gauge spiked to 5 k, dropped, spiked again, dropped, and spiked, and dropped, and quit. and then everything went. powersteering, engine, but electrical stuff stayed on.

I'm gonna take it out later tonite when the road clears off, and see what happens, im just freaked out, cause i'm 100 percent sure i didnt do anything to make it go fruity, but then again, i'm no expert. (not a novice either)

Any advice would be cool. Charles, i know i bugged you before about the battery thing, but does the DHP have any code that could remotely cause a problem like this in it somewhere?

Everyone else, help would be great. hopefully ill be able to come back saying no more problems, the PCM was just learning or something.

Sorry bout the long post, im just lost cause i've never dealt with anything like this, and having no clue is uncomforting to say the least.

Thanks

-Bryce

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
nah, if i have one more problem im gonna jump straight to the stock file, but my battery is too close to the 11.5 min voltage to want to try another PCM flash just to try it. I'll do it if i have to, but like i said, things seem to be ok, so im gonna just hope things keep goin in that direction.

But yeah, my stock PCM file is the next step, thanks for the idea, i wouldnt have thought of that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list