3800 lowering gtp

• Thread starter imported_silverbullet
  • Start date
I

imported_silverbullet

i always wanting to lowering my gtp an 1" lower but heard a lot of bad things about the after market springs like: very uncomfortable ride, not good on the front axles, and need to do front end aliement. my question is can i lower my car by cutting off little bit of the stock spring. making it shorter? this way nothing is change except it's lower? is this good idea or not? any shop in shop in chicago will do this?

I

imported_silverbullet

Originally posted by Fish@Oct 3 2005, 12:11 AM
If you like that ricer civic bouncy pogo look, while having an unsafe car, go for it.

There are ways to make the car ride fine with lowering springs.
[snapback]99589[/snapback]​

definity not wanna make it look like a ricer, that's why i ask? duh? what would you suggest fish? i don't want to lower more than an 1" what about the slp springs?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I dont really know much about SLP springs.

I had GMPP springs and they dropped about an inch all around. I forget exactly the procedure, but I saw zooomer talk about removing a single bushing from the front sway bar and that helped compensate for it.

I

imported_silverbullet

Originally posted by Fish@Oct 3 2005, 12:45 AM

I had GMPP springs and they dropped about an inch all around. I forget exactly the procedure, but I saw zooomer talk about removing a single bushing from the front sway bar and that helped compensate for it.
[snapback]99594[/snapback]​

with the gmpp spring how is the ride? after you install the spring did you to do aliement? camber kits? or or anything? where can i get these spring at?

I

imported_silverbullet

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Oct 3 2005, 10:19 AM
I have SLP's, they are basically gen 1 eibach's...and for that matter, not too good. If I were to do it again; GMPP's all the way.
[snapback]99602[/snapback]​

where can i get gmpp spring at and how much they cost. here's the pic of my ride. see the gap on the wheel wells you think by lowering 1" will cover most of it. i plan to put 17" rims.

I

imported_GraFFix

I would recommend the GMPP springs also you can get them from gmpartsdirect.com or a few of the other GP sites around. I think zzperformance.com has them too? im not sure...but theres more to it then just puting some lowering springs on.

Depending on how old your struts are you might want to look into getting those replaced too. I would recommend KYB's
And then while doing struts you might need new strut towers.
Then there are the anit-pogo retainers which work wonders when lowering a GP.
And finally a wheel alignment when your all done with that.

Lots goes into lowering the car if you want to do it the right way...you can always just slap some springs on the old stuff but while you have it all apart why not do it right? it does make a difference.

I

imported_silverbullet

Originally posted by GraFFix@Oct 3 2005, 02:47 PM
I would recommend the GMPP springs also..but theres more to it then that.

Depending on how old your struts are you might want to look into getting those replaced too. And while doing struts you might need new strut towers.
Then there are the anit pogo retainers which work wonders when lowering a GP.

Lots goes into lowering the car if you want to do it the right way...you can always just slap some springs on the old stuff but while you have it all apart why not do it right? it does make a difference.
[snapback]99629[/snapback]​

yeah now that makes sense, didn't know about all that. i thought swap in the spring and do wheel aligment and you done. the car has 50k miles and i already had strut tower. nobody answer my question yet! WHERE DO I GET GMPP SPRING, IS THERE A WEB SITE OR PHONE NUMBERS???

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
Originally posted by Fish@Oct 2 2005, 11:45 PM

[snapback]99594[/snapback]​

I talked to siner247 and he sais that you hate the ride of the gmpp springs??

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
Originally posted by GraFFix@Oct 3 2005, 01:47 PM
I would recommend the GMPP springs also you can get them from gmpartsdirect.com or a few of the other GP sites around. I think zzperformance.com has them too? im not sure...but theres more to it then just puting some lowering springs on.

Depending on how old your struts are you might want to look into getting those replaced too. I would recommend KYB's
And then while doing struts you might need new strut towers.
Then there are the anit-pogo retainers which work wonders when lowering a GP.

[snapback]99629[/snapback]​
I heard a hole lot of bad things on the kyb. I had them on my grand am and it drove realy realy stiff.

I

imported_silverbullet

so it's not worth lowering it? i drove pictor's gtp and he had his car pretty low, i think it was eilbach spring and the ride was pretty comfortable i thought. maybe i'll ask around more before i spend my money! thanks for your input raven!

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
Originally posted by rion02gtp@Oct 4 2005, 02:59 AM
so it's not worth lowering it? i drove pictor's gtp and he had his car pretty low, i think it was eilbach spring and the ride was pretty comfortable i thought. maybe i'll ask around more before i spend my money! thanks for your input raven!
[snapback]99725[/snapback]​
It is a win and lose game. You lose comfort for looks and handling. It sucks I know because I have been trying to figer this out myself. One persone tells you that this works good and then a diffrent person tells you that is suck. It is just agravinting. :angry:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info