3800 crazy ass idea -will it do anything

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
ive got an idea i want to see if it would do anything, i was thinkg of taking one of those front mount intercooler sprayers (like the one NX sells, and mounting it on top of our blower, i know its not going ot be a drastic differnce, but i can build one for really cheapand it would spray down ontop of the housing and the fuel rails
(will most likly use it when im at the starting tree) i know co2 can get down to -75 f
would this even be worth my time, it might cost me 50 60 bucks at the most

wouldnt this lower blower temps a little and fuel temps, i can make extra lines to go anywhere to distribute the co2 would it be smart to spray it anywhere else? any components that might benift from this cheap mod

can any damge accure from this at all

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
i see major problems with spraying something that cold onto something that can get as hot as our blowers. By spraying into an intercooler, you cool air, not metal. When air gets colder, it contracts and becomes more dense, basic chemistry. obvious. when metal gets colder same exact thing happens. it contracts. Maybe nothing major would happen, but if you cool it significantly very quickly, and heat it up very quickly, thats alot of expansion and constriction. Lookin at the M90, i think it could handle this, but potential, down the line, or if for some reason the core just cant take that -75* hit (couldnt be constant at least, maybe a flash, not a sustained jet of C02) you could have a messy situation. I've never heard of it, which makes it sound dangerous. gotta think more

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Oct 1 2005, 07:10 PM
i see major problems with spraying something that cold onto something that can get as hot as our blowers.  By spraying into an intercooler, you cool air, not metal.  When air gets colder, it contracts and becomes more dense, basic chemistry. obvious. when metal gets colder same exact thing happens.  it contracts.  Maybe nothing major would happen, but if you cool it significantly very quickly, and heat it up very quickly, thats alot of expansion and constriction.  Lookin at the M90, i think it could handle this, but potential, down the line, or if for some reason the core just cant take that -75* hit (couldnt be constant at least, maybe a flash, not a sustained jet of C02) you could have a messy situation.  I've never heard of it, which makes it sound dangerous.  gotta think more
[snapback]99471[/snapback]​
true but metal is also supposed to contract and swell with hot and cold weather
i fighred as hot as an m90 can get it shgould handle,

im not talking like 2 minutes of spraying like 20 30 sec maybe and wouldnt it cool the fuel also

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
again im not expecting a huge gain but in between runs wouldnt be like throwing a baga of ice on it, a really cold bag of ice, i mean they dont destort the blowers then, and people leave them on for 10 minutes some times or more, im spraying somthing colder, true but its not like its on there for even 1 minute

10min-bag of ice 10-30 f*
20-30 sec- c02 coldest -75 f*

who knows maybe im talking out of my ass ,its just my theory

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Oct 1 2005, 10:10 PM
ive got a system hooked up to my I/C rad...guess you missed it huh...LMAO...call me if you want to know more about it.

J/O
[snapback]99491[/snapback]​
yeah i saw ur system, its a pimp setup but what im talking about is like hovering over the blower and fuel lines, my cheap ass still is non-ic
but yeah basicly the same set up just on top

12secGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Des Plaines
i think what 98GTP was trying to convey here is not the fact that you are cooling the blower down but how rapidly and how much you are cooling it down. cooling a blower housing down from 100* degrees to below 0* so fast (almost instantly) and then having it heat right back up again may cause some ultimate stress issues. I think the housing would eventually fatigue and then crack.

I did something similar with a supercooler setup. I had coolant that was cooled down with ice circulating thru the blower housing.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
thanks for clarifying 12sec, thats exactly what i meant. If an exhaust manifold can crack due to the block and the manifold expanding at different speeds, than what happens when the bolts in the supercharger are coming together when the block isnt? Im thinking something will start moving around in ways they arent supposed to. If everything cooled at the same time, i would not see a problem with it, however targeting the S/C just seems like it would too risky to try.

100* F change in temp equals 55* C change in temp. Just goin off of basic chemisty and expansion rates of metals, even talking 1 thousanth of an inch contraction per degree, which i think is low, thats .055 inches - thats a spark plug gap. Imagine the space in your plug moving back in forth. It's either gonna then warp the bolts, or warp the M90 case.

Ice allows it to cool slowly, and extracts heat from all over the engine, it draws heat. C02 is much too concentrated, almost eliminating heat, at too quick a rate. good luck, but definatly heed some warning.

What is the case of the M90 made out of? Kinda feel dumb not knowing but im not gonna assume something. Find out the metal, find out it's expansion rate in inches/*C, multiple by you're expected change in temperature, and thats your problem.

Once again, good luck.

-Bryce

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info