3800 Mobo took a crap... need a new one.. help?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Hey guys,

such a frusterating day. :(

Ever since gettin a car, i have gotten outta the computer scene slightly and i dont know what to look for really anymore..

Can anyone find me a motherboard with the following criteria... (i know newegg... but i wanna see what you guys suggest)

I will be using the PC for games, video editing, movies, all that good stuff...

I need..

- 64 bit
- at least 333mhz fsb
- compatible with pc3200 DDR ram since i got 1gb of it already
- raid capable
- brand name such as gigabyte, asus, MSI (any other that is common now days)

needs to be the biggest bang for the buck since i am poor.

ALSO!!

I figure this will be a key time to get a new processor too. Obvioulsy compatible with the mobo... at least 64bit....

thank you guys.

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
May not be the top of the line brand.. but lately.. doesn't seem to matter.. they all work.. comes with a retail cpu (so with the fan and 3yr warr)

Front1.jpg

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
ASUS P5LD2 ... Intel 945 chipset, supports DDR2, supports LGA775 CPUs, supports PCI express

One thing to keep in mind... AGP is pretty much dead now... so if you plan on keeping your AGP video card, you'll need to find a mobo that supports AGP also...

When I upgraded my computer a month ago, I went w/the P5LD2 because it got great reviews regarding it's overclocking abilities ... (I'm running a prescott 640 3.2ghz at 3.9ghz ... reliable... cpu temps max at 63* under full load, passes Prime95 and memory tests) but it only had PCI Express (new standard, tons more bandwidth offered than AGP) so I upgraded my ATI 9800 Pro to an ATI x850xt platinum (kickass card.... got it a few days before the 7800 card was released, but I've always liked ATI so woulda gone for the 850 anyways)

if you look at intel processors, most of the P4s support their 64 bit mode ... my Prescott 640 series (3.2 ghz, 2mb l2 cache) supports it (but I didn't install 64 bit winxp because I've heard battlefield 1942 won't run on it)

I personally would not have gone with a socket 754 as AMD is phasing that out for the more versatile 939. But, whatever... I am sure it will still work.

The ECS is a good relible board... but you gotta watch the heat on the BOARD. It will royally screw up the capacitors on those boards and then begin to randomly reset.... I have over 6 boards here that are scrap from ECS.

I am a big fan of either GIGABYTE, Abit or Asus. And, like horist said, AGP is going bye-bye.

EDIT: Ask ThaLord, I am the biggest advocate of SATA (on-board). I have not tried the SATA-II yet, but I am sure I will be very happy with it when I do!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info