3800 So I need some opinions..*long*

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Well a little background, I graduated highschool in May 05', and had chosen to go to Moraine Valley Community College in Fall 05', and thats where I am now. Its a good school, the classes are easy, also enjoyable, and the people are fine. Anyways, during the last couple of weeks, my friends, almost all of them have gone to their various colleges, NIU, EIU, ISU, UoI.. and so on, so now its starting to hit me how I should have done not been lazy to stay at home.

Now im stuck, at home, with a couple friends (not any close ones) that I would hang out with maybe once a month if even that. Since visiting ISU, NIU, and EIU, ive noticed that im really missing out on the college life. What I mean by that is not just partying (first time I got drunk was at EIU when I visited last week so im not too much a partier), but being out of the house. Now its not like I want to abandon my family because their annoying or anything like that, my parents are awesome, and I have no quarrels with my family.

I do miss my friends, and I would have liked to go somewhere now that I see that everyone is pretty happy with were they went. I was able to check out EIU, NIU, ISU, and EIU (although a party school) seemed to be what I was looking for. I know its reputation as a party school usually proceeds it, but thats not only why I like it.

I do have the chance to transfer next semester, I would need to fill out the app, send in my act scores, highschool transcript and thats about it. I would more then likely get in if I act fast. Now would this be a good idea? I really see no reason to stay home if my parents are willing to help me with paying for college.

Any comments? opinions? questions? things I missed? anything!

Thanks,
-Nick

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
id go away to school.

There is so much fun to be had and a lot of opertunities you will miss out on if you dont go away...

Also, I think most people who go to CC get caught up in the WORK aspect of life and end up goiong to college 5-7 years b4 they finish.

When you at a University, everyone studies and goes to class when they are suppose to and then they go out and have fun. Its a nice schedual.

Personaly, I went to MVCC for 1 semsester because I applied to late in HS. I then left ISU my senior spring semester for student teaching so I really only had 3 years at ISU :(

If I could do it over I would have gotten to ISU sooner, and stayed longer. Work is fine and all and its great to recieve a paycheck but I would love to be back in college.

Transfer ASAP. You will be fine away from you family for a month or so at a time.

GL

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
CC is good if you have no idea what you want to do, but if you know go away. You don't have to go to school in Oregon to get away. A few hours away gives you freedom, which teaches you a lot, and you can still run home if need be.

Go Huskies!

NIU Class of '03

John

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Come to ISU of UOFI.

I'm about 40 minutes away from both, and would be happy to come down and party it up with ya.

:D

I went to UTI, so I didnt exactly get the full 'college experience.' Looking back on it, I wish I would have gone to one of the CC's in Champaign or Bloomington. You are right there and close enough to campus to do whatever you want, but you arent 'stuck' with the school work from the big 4-year schools. I am in no way putting down those schools, but honestly... I just dont think I have enough drive to finish at a 4-year school like that. A lot of my friends go to Parkland CC in champaign, and I party with them down on campus (u of i) probably every other weekend. They're down on Green St. (for those of you who know the area) almost every night.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

We just moved my little sis into NIU this last week, really nice school. Decent drive , as long as you dont miss the exit.. As a junior in college It all depends on what you want to go it to, I like going to a university more programs, more diversity, more walking haha.. hey you get some nice tight legs come spring.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Ok,

Let me give you a little story.......

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I was accepted to the U of I EE/Comp Engineering program. I couldn't wait to go; however, as I had to pay for school by myself, I decided it would be better to spare myself a little $$ and go to community college first.

So, I meet with the community college people and show the mexactly what/where/when/why/how I'm doing. Their advisor says 'sure no problem, you need to take classes x,y,z'. I say 'you sure about that ? ' They say, 'Yes! absolutely, no problem...'

So, fast forward 2.5 years later (took a semester off for work). I send in my transcript and U of I writes and says 'sorry, we don't take classes a,b,c,d,e,f'. you can only transfer in with the required 60 hours or you'll have to start from scratch......

So, I go back to the community college and they say well... no clue why they wouldn't take those ... ooops. Here's your schedule to complete the missing classes..... Because of the fact its a community college and their schedules are small, it would have taken another 1.5 years to complete ......

So... I said f' it and went to NIU for comp sci..... While I have no major gripes against NIU, their comp sci program is a far cry from the one at U of I -AND- it was a double major in EE which I sorely wish I had completed now ... (now marrie with kid = not a fat chance in getting this done now).

And of hte course the kicker was I hardly saved any money by going to community over a real college...

As far as hanging out and partying of course a real campus will beat a community college any day of the week......

if you must do community college, I recommend you don't just trust the counselor and you check with your school directly. ......

$.02

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
I'll keep it short since it's basically answered:

I moved in to UIC almost 2 weeks ago. I've had the chance to be trash for all but 3 days. I'm not much of a drinker, so I only drank a few times.

I go to every class every time, get homework done early and have fun afterwards. It helps not having a job. This is honestly the best time of my life.

Do it.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by emersonhart13@Aug 28 2005, 09:58 PM
NIU Comp Sci program is deeply set in the dark ages!
[snapback]96345[/snapback]​

Man you aren't kidding. When I was going there I had a friend in Comp Sci who was learning COBOL in his last semesters....pathetic. The chemistry/physics students new more about unix and object oriented programming than the CS students.

I spent several years at COD and several years at NIU too. I took way too many classes (graduated w/over 200 credit hours) and switched majors 3 times. I too worked the whole time and sure it was stressfull but you do what you have to. You're still plenty young enough to make a few mistakes/changes and recover from the bad ones. Don't go away just because you're friends are...I'm willing to bet 1/2 of them won't even graduate. The most important thing to remember whether you're going to college or not is to GET SKILLED at something valuable. There are plenty of well educated unemployed people in this world that would be really happy with a craftman's wage.

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Go away to school... and yes go to EIU!!! (hehe my alma mater :D ) I loved it there. I can say that going away to school was the best thing and I recommend it to everyone. Yes it can get harder to concentrate on classes with all the partying but it is a great experience! One I know a lot of my friends who never went "away" to school say they wish they had done!!! :) :)

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Originally posted by emersonhart13@Aug 28 2005, 09:58 PM
NIU Comp Sci program is deeply set in the dark ages!
[snapback]96345[/snapback]​

Let me clue you in on a little secret .......

IF you look at the companies who donate all the money, scholarships, etc, etc, they are very OLD and LARGE companies that have millions of lines of jcl, cobol, and mainframe assembler to maintain ....

With that said, I *ALWAYS* laughed because wehn i was there mandatory undergrad was ... cobol, C (unix), ASM (mainframe), ASM (PC), etc. AT the same time, GRAD level was Visual Basic, HTML/WWW. I took the "grad" vb class and found myself correcting the teacher numerous times. Hell at one point she actually just gave up and asked me to explain a section, no kidding....

With all of that shit said, programming is programming is programming is programming. If they can get you set on fairly sound fundamentals (which I thought they did do), you're not going to have that much trouble adapting to other launguages....

S

sr71_rgl

With all of that shit said, programming is programming is programming is programming.  If they can get you set on fairly sound fundamentals (which I thought they did do), you're not going to have that much trouble adapting to other launguages....

so true...this applies to spoken languages as well believe it or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info