3800 ZZP XP Cam...

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
I guess I should also add, will the VS cam be sufficient for 12's and be less of a hassle to upgrade to? I am assuming the LS6 springs are sufficent for the VS? Do you have to upgrade your timing chain with the VS, cause I know it is recommended for the XP... anyone that has any cam experience please fill me in.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, the VS is a great choice, but not too far off a rocker set-up. A well done rocker set-up needs an IC for max power to run 12's, and can get you on average about 12.8-12.9 with some real good driving. VS is a small step past that, but w/o an IC and a VS you'll probably be stuck at 13.20's, and 12.7.-.8 with IC.

XP w/o IC is probably high 12 potential, and mid 12 w/IC. If you have head work too, 12.2 to 12.4 would be doable.

105's would be fine with a stock chain, but a single roller or double roller would be a good idea after that. Either way you CAN run a stock chain, but plan on replacing it more often.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by DaytonaPrixMI@Aug 26 2005, 10:17 AM
THe VS will get you into 12's with the supporting mods. I am running 12.8x's with temps in the 80's and 90's and slicks. At nationals I ran a 12.814 with track temp in the 130's. You can find all my mods listed here

I hope this helps if you have any questions about the VS let me know.
[snapback]96137[/snapback]​
No doubt about it, I was speaking of averages though. VS will get you 12's, and some have kissed 11's, but so have those with rocker cars. I've heard the XP on several occassions, and it's not too aggressive sounding. The most aggressive sounding cams I've heard are Mike K.'s and the NIC.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
everyone with a cam eventually wants to go bigger....

I thought my TA was crazy with 224/224 but I am use to it now and would have like somehting a little bigger 228/228 ...230ish.. or something...

I still want decent MPG and stuff though........Id never go full out all crazy on it.....

S

sr71_rgl

Pictor recently completed my rebuild w/the following "improvements"

- XP cam
- reworked intense stg 2.5 heads
- 130lb seat pressure springs (shimmed 90s)

I still have some tuning to do but I'll tell you this much. Even running only 13* of timing and 02s in the high 800s (no KR thankfully) the XP makes TONS more torque all across the rpm band than the HL I had in before. I'm running a really nice set of re-worked ShitTense stg IIs but PnP heads aren't required for the XP. You can do it with as little as 105 springs, and modded retainers w/stock heads. Quite a few guys are making good power on that simple of a setup.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by DaytonaPrixMI@Aug 29 2005, 08:00 PM
I think I am the only happy VS owner here  :lolsign:
[snapback]96407[/snapback]​

You should be happy. The VS is a damn fine cam, but seeing how all cams cost pretty much the same new people tend to go for the best one they can. IMHO zzp focuses more on the most torque under the curve whereas Shittense's goal is peak HP.

Originally posted by sr71_rgl+Aug 30 2005, 01:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DaytonaPrixMI
@Aug 29 2005, 08:00 PM
I think I am the only happy VS owner here  :lolsign:
[snapback]96407[/snapback]​

You should be happy. The VS is a damn fine cam, but seeing how all cams cost pretty much the same new people tend to go for the best one they can. IMHO zzp focuses more on the most torque under the curve whereas Shittense's goal is peak HP.
[snapback]96463[/snapback]​
[/b]

My VS and zzp full size IC play nice together.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by sr71_rgl@Aug 28 2005, 10:58 PM
Pictor recently completed my rebuild w/the following "improvements"

- XP cam
- reworked intense stg 2.5 heads
- 130lb seat pressure springs (shimmed 90s)

I still have some tuning to do but I'll tell you this much. Even running only 13* of timing and 02s in the high 800s (no KR thankfully) the XP makes TONS more torque all across the rpm band than the HL I had in before.  I'm running a really nice set of re-worked ShitTense stg IIs but PnP heads aren't required for the XP.  You can do it with as little as 105 springs, and modded retainers w/stock heads. Quite a few guys are making good power on that simple of a setup.
[snapback]96347[/snapback]​
is that Dyno TQ, or Butt/ass TQ.?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info