3800 Brake Question

BlkJak

Regular
Jan 19, 2009
La Salle
A friend of my GF's has a 99 Grand Prix GT and is currently having a problem with the brakes. When she hits the brakes, they grind something terrible. Then the anti-lock brake light comes on and the grinding stops. Any ideas??? They mechanic she had look at it scratched his head and told her to disconnect the anti=lock brake system!! WHO DOES THAT????!!! So I told her I would ask you guys....... If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks guys.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by BlkJak@Aug 24 2005, 06:42 AM
A friend of my GF's has a 99 Grand Prix GT and is currently having a problem with the brakes.  When she hits the brakes, they grind something terrible.  Then the anti-lock brake light comes on and the grinding stops.  Any ideas???  They mechanic she had look at it scratched his head and told her to disconnect the anti=lock brake system!!  WHO DOES THAT????!!!  So I told her I would ask you guys.......  If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks guys.
[snapback]95856[/snapback]​

Any codes, if you just unplug the abs fuse it would be okay(no abs obviously). If you unplugged the fuse did the problem go away? If not check the brake pads and shoes. If the regular "brake" light is going on it might be low on flood which could be caused by low life on the pads.

if after applying the brakes a grinding noise is heard, that sounds like the pads are worn down too far and the rivets for the pads are scoring the rotors... what do the rotors look/feel like?
the ABS light coming on could also be an indication of the pads worn down too far. the abs system may patially engage therefore not clamping down completely onto the rotors (due to low fluid, due to wornout pads).
I would check the pads. if they are gone that bad, you might need to replace the rotors as well if they cannot turn out the scoring from the rivets in the wornout pads.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info