3800 Looks like I screwed up my car

A couple of weeks ago I decided take a big step and do my own rocker install well it looked like everything was good until the test drive. At WOT to doesn't shift in p-shift. I figured it was valve float so i went back in to tighted the rockers a little bit. Well it's pretty much the same :( . Also after the install I got an P1351 ses code :( . What would you do? I'm thinking ls6 springs but i don't have the access to the right tools or the knowledge to do the valve springs and for the ses code going in with a multimeter.

Carl

MrT

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Lombard, IL ....USA Baby
Originally posted by endless36@Aug 18 2005, 12:19 PM
40 views and no replies looks like i'm on my own on this one :(
[snapback]95445[/snapback]​
A - did you look up what P1351 is???obdii
B - check all your connections to stuff you might have moved out of the way / removed during the install....

That's all i know......better than nothing i hope :)

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Aug 18 2005, 12:37 PM
That's an ignition control circuit malfunction; specifically cyl 2. Is the spark plug boot on the plug?
[snapback]95449[/snapback]​

I'm getting the same code on my GS after Pictor did a motor swap for me. Ron, what tells you it's specific to cyl 2? Coincidentally, thats the same cylinder that dropped an exhaust valve causing my rebuild....

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by sr71_rgl+Aug 18 2005, 12:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ron Vogel
@Aug 18 2005, 12:37 PM
That's an ignition control circuit malfunction; specifically cyl 2. Is the spark plug boot on the plug?

I'm getting the same code on my GS after Pictor did a motor swap for me. Ron, what tells you it's specific to cyl 2? Coincidentally, thats the same cylinder that dropped an exhaust valve causing my rebuild....
[snapback]95450[/snapback]​
[/b]
PO 1350 is the overall code for the malfunction, 1351 is cly 2, 1352 is cly 4, etc.

May be a bad coil, or even a short or bad ICM. Might want to swap coil packs around and see if the code follows it. I'd personally check the wire resistance with an ohmeter, and swap a new plug in that cyl too just to be safe.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by endless36@Aug 18 2005, 01:11 PM
would tighting the rocker bolts end that or is valve float caused by weaker springs?
[snapback]95452[/snapback]​

Everything I've read says that valve float is caused by weaker springs. Did you re-use your stockers for the rocker install? I think at a mininum LS1 springs should be used for 1.9 rockers.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by endless36@Aug 18 2005, 01:46 PM
Yes i used stock springs since they we're gen 1 rockers. So which would be better ls6 or ls1 springs?
[snapback]95458[/snapback]​
If you have lower miles (like 30-50K) the stock springs are fine with the Gen 1's. Springs weaken with age though, running 70K to 100K mile springs with 1.9's is marginal, more than that is a bad idea. Are you certain you are getting valve float?

Just because the trans won't shift like it should doesn't mean it's valve float, just in case; valve float feels like an instant loss of power accompanied by a loud noise that sounds a lot like a semi-truck exhaust brake.

Tightening down the rocker bolt past factory TQ ratings is just going to make the bolt tighter. The code you set should not set the code you are getting. If you were to have valve float, you would either report massive KR, and set a code for misfires (PO133 IIRC).

S

sr71_rgl

PO 1350 is the overall code for the malfunction, 1351 is cly 2, 1352 is cly 4, etc.

May be a bad coil, or even a short or bad ICM. Might want to swap coil packs around and see if the code follows it. I'd personally check the wire resistance with an ohmeter, and swap a new plug in that cyl too just to be safe.

Solid advice Ron.
Thx

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by endless36@Aug 18 2005, 05:53 PM
As for the valve float I believe it's that because in normal shift mode where the shift point is about 5800 it shifts fine where as in p-shift it shifts at 6000-6400, at about 6k the power leaves it won't shift unless a come off the gas. Thanks for the info sr71 I will try that this week end
[snapback]95478[/snapback]​

if you have a dhp 1.0 your car should not shift past 5850 at wot in PS mode

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Aug 18 2005, 12:37 PM

I replaced the coil packs and icm yesterday and cleared the codes from the pcm. Damn 1351 popped right back in 1min after I started it leaving work. So I cleared it again hoping it would listen this time :rolleyes: I guess I'll be replacing the wire/plug soon. I hope this isn't the start of some bogus electrical gremlin...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• E
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list