3800 14.67* kr while casually driving??? Scans inside.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I put a half tank of 100 octane in the car today and threw on a 3.0" pulley..

i drove it for like 15 minutes then started scanning..
here is a scan with the race gas and 3.0" pulley
http://www.amoxsoft.com/mike/new2/view.php...an=Display+Scan

ok.. then i went WOT again later and i hit like 4kr... no big deal.. i decelerated.. once i got to the speed limit i proceeded to accelerate a tiny bit... like with the TPS at like 3.0... so casual acceleration. I then notice that i am getting 14.67KR.... i pulled over, took off the s/c belt, and still the SAME THING...

what is wrong??

here is the car being screwy at normal driving.
http://www.amoxsoft.com/mike/new2/view.php...member_view=syP

The car drives normal otherwise.. and makes no different noises.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
ya i got the 2.0, yes i can set it for cruising also. I am not using it because everything has been flawless since the tune from Ron Vogel.

all i did was add race gas, and a 3.0" pulley, i ran the car for 15 minutes.... then floored it and scanned... everything was peachy, then drove for another 10 minutes.... floored it again... scan was just ok, decelerated... regained speed ... then it just went bonkers outta no wheres

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
well i drove it for about 6 miles like that (i was that far fromhome when it happen) I had the s/c belt off and if i didnt look at the scanner and pretended it wasnt there..... the car ran flawlessly (obviously taking a little bit more throttle due to no s/c and reduced timing)

No weird sounds what so ever... nothing "popped/BOOMed" either.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
hmmm interesting...

today after letting the car sit for over 24 hours with the s/c belt off... i started her up and hooked up my brothers LS1M... (it was suggested that my ls1m might be messed up?) I took it out for a quick 30 second spin.. and no kr what so ever with normal driving..

I pull the car back in... put on the belt, hook back up my ls1m.... Im gettin that KR again...

Hook up my brothers ls1m.. and getting the KR.

I am leaning towards the pulley issue, but it did this the day before with the belt off.... weeeird

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
ok i just took the car out for a spin without the belt on..

i had 0 kr for like 3 minutes.... then it started kicking in... so i was in a straight a way and i floored it to 60mph, and the KR evened out at 9* instead of 14.67* while driving.... i drove home and opened the hood with the car on.. it sounds like a ticking/tapping towards to rear of the car, it isnt that loud either. (i dont wanna say knocking )

maybe a loose rear rocker?

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by syP@Aug 14 2005, 11:09 PM
hmm.... kinda fast.. and increases with acceleration (pulling on the TB wire)
[snapback]95117[/snapback]​

If you're lucky it'll just be a loose rocker, but I think that would be really loud (not just a slight ticking). L67s are notoriously loud motors at idle. Some peeps complain about the injectors ticking and others think the valves are too loud. There is a slight chance a valve guide in the rear head may have worn beyond its tolerance and what you're hearing is the the valve rattling around a bit. I know all too well what this can do to a motor. The last set of PnP heads I installed re-used the OEM guides and my valvetrain noise got worse and worse. I didnt think much of it cuz it was a gradual change, but all it took was a decent spray from the alky pump to cause the #2 exh valve to bend just enough to get slammed to smithereens by the piston...end result...there's a '00 block in my '98 GS now. I'd def pull the rear VC and check it out. Worse case scenario is you replace the rear head w/another good stocker and call it a day. OEM heads are dime a dozen. PizzaGTP has 2 of my old ones for sale for nice price if you're interested.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by syP@Aug 16 2005, 01:35 PM
you dont think it is the inevitable tho?  (broken pistons)
[snapback]95282[/snapback]​

Pieces of piston would eventually break up and get blown out the exhaust valve and the noise would stop. If yours is still making the ticking noise it very well could be a loose rocker or valve. Both of those would for sure make enough noise to get picked up by a knock sensor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info