3800 Caliper Paint

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Sep 9, 2008
There's another brake caliper system that available in the stores. Forgot the name of it, maybe someone can name it.

Also, you can use hi-temp spray paint on the calipers. If you go down this route, you'll have to prime it and I would suggest put some clear coat on it.

Show us some pics when you're done Mike. Good luck!

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
I plan to do this on my vacation, take all four calipers off take the old paint off sand them prime them let them dry for a day. Paint them a few coats then let them dry another day. Paint some more bake them (some how) then let them dry then clear coat them. Might also try to make some custom grills for my sd hood as well. Man i'm going to be busy...:p

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

the big thing is to make sure you get all the grease and grime and rust off of them, otherwise you are repainting them every year. Mine are sprayed in basecoat/clearcoat (same as if I was spraying the car), and they have held up for two years. I have to finally redo them cause of a couple spots that I didn't clean up right.
If you are going with new rotors, just get some brake clean and hose the shit out of them to get the oil off of them, keep doing that until they feel bone dry. I would suggest spraying them down with some etch primer. It has an acid in it that bites into raw metal and gives the future coats of paint something stable to "bite" into. Sorry this is so long.
CJ

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by mybluegtp@Aug 12 2005, 06:22 PM
Good tips, give more.. :D
[snapback]95013[/snapback]​
are you serious or being sarcastic? I'm a body/paint/fabrication guy, so I try to help out were I can. Wish I knew half of what some of you guys know about the mechanics of these cars, all the stuff with tuning the computers confuses the shit out of me, and I'm not gonna try to pretend I know something I don't.
If you were serious, what do you want to know?

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Aug 12 2005, 05:17 PM
the big thing is to make sure you get all the grease and grime and rust off of them, otherwise you are repainting them every year.  Mine are sprayed in basecoat/clearcoat (same as if I was spraying the car), and they have held up for two years.  I have to finally redo them cause of a couple spots that I didn't clean up right. 
If you are going with new rotors, just get some brake clean and hose the shit out of them to get the oil off of them, keep doing that until they feel bone dry.  I would suggest spraying them down with some etch primer.  It has an acid in it that bites into raw metal and gives the future coats of paint something stable to "bite" into.  Sorry this is so long.
CJ
[snapback]95004[/snapback]​
Sorry, I'm a retard :blink: , I meant if you were going with new CALIPERS, not rotors, then continue with the rest of that paragraph. Well, you still want to clean the oil off your rotors, but I'm sure you knew that. :wacko:

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Aug 12 2005, 07:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mybluegtp
@Aug 12 2005, 06:22 PM
are you serious or being sarcastic? I'm a body/paint/fabrication guy, so I try to help out were I can. Wish I knew half of what some of you guys know about the mechanics of these cars, all the stuff with tuning the computers confuses the shit out of me, and I'm not gonna try to pretend I know something I don't.
[snapback]95016[/snapback]​
[/b]

I was serious, What kind of sand paper would I use to sand it down? Also, what kind of paint i can buy at the store to make it stand out? Can you do touch up's without haveing it at the shop?

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by mybluegtp+Aug 12 2005, 06:46 PM-->
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Aug 12 2005, 07:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mybluegtp
@Aug 12 2005, 06:22 PM

[snapback]95016[/snapback]​

I was serious, What kind of sand paper would I use to sand it down? Also, what kind of paint i can buy at the store to make it stand out? Can you do touch up's without haveing it at the shop?
[snapback]95018[/snapback]​
[/b]

To sand down what? The caliper or the car? You can buy any color paint you want, I colormatched mine. I have a trick to touch up chips but scratches and stuff, it depends where it's at.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by mybluegtp@Aug 12 2005, 08:16 PM
sand the calipers, duh! :) and when do you mean colormatch, the car or the caliper paint?
[snapback]95027[/snapback]​
Well, you can't really sand them, I went at mine with a rust remover wheel on a drill to get all the rust off of them (this step can be skipped on new calipers obviously). Because of the casting of the calipers you can't get into the grooves with sandpaper. If you want the paint to be flat like the car, you are going to have to A)have to grind down the casting, or B) keep priming and sanding until you build up the primer enough HOWEVER, the more paint you have on it, more likely it will flake off, or C) put a skim coat of filler (bondo) over the caliper and sand it down, but I wouldn't recommend that one cause bondo breaks it's bond from metal when heated up to much. You may have to deal with having the bumpiness to the caliper. If you are going to clearcoat them, don't leave them out to dry, the pores of the paint will close and have nothing for the clear to bite onto and will flake. The only way to get around this is to sand it after it dries to open the pores back up, but then you risk sanding off the color. It a twisted double edge sword. When I do the 12" brake upgrade on my car, I'm going to grind down the casting to make them smooth, but that is alot of work (worth it to me, but I'm anal). Oh, and colormatching is matching to the color of the car. Basecoat/clearcoat can handle up to like 800 degrees once it is cured. Lot of choices, hope it helped.
CJ

evastos

Regular
Sep 1, 2008
Chicago
Originally posted by mybluegtp@Aug 12 2005, 05:06 PM
I plan to do this on my vacation, take all four calipers off take the old paint off sand them prime them let them dry for a day.  Paint them a few coats then let them dry another day. Paint some more bake them (some how) then let them dry then clear coat them.  Might also try to make some custom grills for my sd hood as well.  Man i'm going to be busy...:p
[snapback]94998[/snapback]​

Why dont you try asking pictor I believe thats his name from ClubGp. He has a powder coat buisness going? It'll come out alot better than anything we can do by hand.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by evastos+Aug 13 2005, 03:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mybluegtp
@Aug 12 2005, 05:06 PM
I plan to do this on my vacation, take all four calipers off take the old paint off sand them prime them let them dry for a day.  Paint them a few coats then let them dry another day. Paint some more bake them (some how) then let them dry then clear coat them.  Might also try to make some custom grills for my sd hood as well.  Man i'm going to be busy...:p
[snapback]94998[/snapback]​

Why dont you try asking pictor I believe thats his name from ClubGp. He has a powder coat buisness going? It'll come out alot better than anything we can do by hand.
[snapback]95055[/snapback]​
[/b]
definetely will come out better and hold up alot better to chips, but...$$$$$, if you can afford it though, thats the way to go.
CJ

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Aug 13 2005, 07:46 PM
how about sand blasting to clean them up?
[snapback]95059[/snapback]​
if you have access to a sandblaster that would be great, takes the grease off too, just need a quick wash down with brake cleaner. Just make sure you cover the holes, and piston REALLY well. Couple peices of sand can F#@K your calipers all up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info