3800 2010 GTO

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I couldnt post it in the news section, but I'm sure someone kind enough will place it there.

Pontiac Looks Rearward: The Next Grand Prix and GTO

0509_pontiac_gto_445.jpg

Pontiac hopes to produce at least one rear-wheel-drive car for sale as a 2010 model, despite reports that General Motors’ rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform has been axed.

There are no immediate plans to replace the current GTO when it goes out of production at the end of next year. However, GM desperately wants to develop rear-wheel-drive cars for Pontiac—its sporty, import-fighting brand—and has started looking at a low-cost Zeta platform, referred to internally as Zeta Lite.
Pontiac's 1999 concept could hint at the next generation design direction. The styling is expected to incorporate some design cues from classic Pontiacs such as the ’69 GTO and continue the trend away from the overwrought styling of the recent past.

The Zeta platform—which underpins the upcoming Australian Holden Commodore sedan and Monaro coupe—was supposed to provide the basis for a number of North American rear-wheel-drive products, notably the Buick Velite roadster and the next-generation GTO, but the U.S. program was canned because it was too expensive. The Sigma architecture that underpins cars such as the Cadillac CTS was never considered, either, again because of cost issues.

Should Zeta Lite get management approval, Pontiac would like to produce two cars off the platform: a four-door Grand Prix and a two-door GTO. The Grand Prix would get both V-6 and V-8 power, while the GTO would be powered by a new version of the current, 400-hp, pushrod OHV LS2 V-8.

The GTO’s chances of making it into production probably would depend on Pontiac sharing the platform with Chevrolet, which would transfer the Monte Carlo from front-wheel drive back to rear-wheel drive. It is also likely that Chevy would end up with a large four-door sedan that either would replace the Impala or resurrect the Caprice nameplate.

Although GM enviously acknowledges that Ford Mustang customers don’t seem to care about its inexpensive and outdated live rear axle—a feature that was engineered in to reduce cost—it’s unlikely that the Zeta Lite architecture would have anything other than an independent rear suspension. Don’t expect GM to produce a Firebird/Camaro rival for the Mustang, either, as those nameplates are dead in the water.

Comments & Opinions... Lets hear it

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Found it:

Edmunds.com

Chevy Camaro Concept Slated for '06 Detroit Show, '09 Debut
Date Posted 08-04-2005

DETROIT — Chevrolet plans to take the wraps off a concept Camaro at the 2006 Detroit auto show in January.

Also, Inside Line has learned the automaker is evaluating proposals to revive the classic performance-car nameplate in 2009-2010 on a new low-cost rear-wheel-drive platform.

Among the scenarios under discussion inside General Motors is the development of a lower-cost version of the Sigma rear-drive platform that underpins the Cadillac CTS and STS sedans. Another proposal would take the new rear-drive platform that's being developed in Australia for the next-generation Holden Commodore sedan and spin off a low-cost variant for North America.

GM planners are said to have targeted several body styles for the Chevy and Pontiac brands on a new rear-drive platform, including a sport sedan, a sporty coupe and a convertible. The Camaro and GTO badges could be used on those vehicles, according to company sources.

Across town, Chrysler is said to be preparing a concept Dodge Challenger for the '06 Detroit show, to test the market for a proposed two-door performance car it wants to introduce around 2008-2009 as a potential competitor to the Ford Mustang.

What this means to you: Guess it was just a matter of time and environmental awareness — the original definition of muscle cars doesn't fit well with new perceptions of what's best for the world...could there be a "green" muscle car in our future?

BC

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
And a quote from FBODFATHER from a couple of weeks ago on LS1tech.com:

"First..........we do not invite Motor Trend or Road and Track or any other magazine into our product planning meetings.

So........take what you read in magazines with a grain of salt.....and then throw that grain of salt over your shoulder.

Now.....I gotta be careful here, and I can't say a lot.......but:

We KNOW Mustang continues to sell in sizeable numbers.....and we knew this several years ago.

There are reasons why the Camaro went on "hiatus" ...that word came directly from the press release when we announced the closing of Ste. Therese.

The Camaro nameplate is one of the top 5 most recognized nameplates in the industry......HUGE equity in the name.

NO CAMARO should ever have FWD. The very DNA of Camaro sez:

>Head turning style that's recognizable as a Camaro from a quarter mile......
>Class leading performance from available muscular V8s
>RWD
>Handling that makes the car stick to the road like velcro
>Chevy price

Now.......there's been tons of 'pictures' of the "new Camaro" and none of them are right.

I've said "keep the faith' at least a gajillion times..............

so let me say this: You should really consider coming to NAIAS in January of 2006 to look around...............

Now..........if that doesn't answer your question.....nothing will.............."

FBODFATHER is whats his name from GM. He is in charge of the performance division of GM.

The Camaro will not come back as a domestic ricer.

This guy is a GM insider that is over at LS1tech.com. He has a history of "predicting" Gm's next move rather accurately.

BC

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
NO CAMARO should ever have FWD. The very DNA of Camaro sez:

>Head turning style that's recognizable as a Camaro from a quarter mile......
>Class leading performance from available muscular V8s
>RWD
>Handling that makes the car stick to the road like velcro
>Chevy price

Well its been 20+ years since they did more than one of the above. Head turning style? Not since the 60's.
They had wimpy ass v8's, after the second gen, more where made with 6's, but same as mustang.
RWD...they kept that.
Handling? Never had handling. Throw a curve at it and you almost had to stop to go around it. Backend never stayed behind you.
Price? Even a plain jane was priced out of reach of the target ages.

Its reputation grows in its death and the truth gets forgotten. It died because it was an overpriced slug.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
id disagree with the handling bit...

they have the same skid pad numbers as the new wrxs, evos, rsxs, etc.......people think cause there bigger they cant hug the road.

That, and ricers love to think they have the only cars that can handle well on the road...

prices were way to high for the upper end TAs and SSs though....

I

imported_JennY

Originally posted by Theautoguy@Aug 6 2005, 08:11 AM
0509_pontiac_gto_445.jpg

:ph34r:  I'M BATMAN!!!  :ph34r:
[snapback]94327[/snapback]​
lol I thought of the samething. lol Damnit, now I have the Batman theme song stuck in my head!

Personally, I think that car belong in out space or something. But hey, by 2010, all cars are going to sorta look like that. :wacko:

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Damn it Jenny. I was fine until you said " I have the batman theme song in my head." Now i have it.... Ihope you get it back.

As for the fbody not being able to handle.... A decent suspension set up, even the Y81 setup fromt he factory, would put the car in a rather high handling category. If you feel it cant handle tis cause you cant drive it. That isnt the cars fault. it is a front heavy, RWD car with a lot of torque.... If you dont know how to drive it you will end up in the dirt with you back end in the wrong place.

If we want to talk about ill handling cars look at a porsche 911. Until they added active handling to the car it was more than a handful to get power to the ground without having the back end in front.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info