3800 Does Gas Brand/Octane Really Matter?

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
GAS1.jpg

GAS2.jpg

Thoughts and Opinions ON topic about this? :unsure:

F

fastcash

i put anything 93 or better lead or unleaded, my car is a beast. simply putting in 100 octane on a stock motor put me at 14.5 1/4 ET. 100 octane reduced my KR from 3-5 at WOT to 1-3. i don't need articles to read to know the difference in octane performance. for a speed enthusiast who knows what he wants, after testing different combos and numbers, one will decide which gas is better for there performance. a regular driver should find the cheapest midgrade gas, and stick with it. my .02

DOHCZ34

Oct 23, 2008
Twin cities, MN
Real Name
Chris
I know this won't mean much to you guys since I live in MN and you guys live in IL. We have a large oil refinery near my house called flint hills refinery. they process most of the gas for the upper midwest, MN SD ND IA WI and some IL stations. I'm guessing you are wondering what this all means well here it is.

We had the head chemical engineer from flint hills come do a lecture for our chemistry class my 2nd semester this year for college. basically any fuel in the midwest is processed and maintained by flint hills.

Different "brands" of gasoline, conoco, sinclair, holiday, BP, citgo are all techinically using the same base blend of gasoline. the only thing seperating the brands is the different blends of chemicals they cycle into each brand on top of the intial base blend of gasoline. I found this very interesting because a local car club member was doing testing on the certain gas stations in the area for premium gas. throretically all the gas should be around the same octane, not true for the most part. testing a base of 92 octane from station to station revealed some stations were pumping 94 octane from the pumps. which is why we notice different performance from different gas stations, because of the certain blends of chemicals being used on top of the base blend. this is what makes BP gas, and citgo gasoline.

I then asked the Engineer about this and he couldn't give me a straight answer other then "the gas should be all the same" he was also sort of unhappy that I kept telling him blue planet gas (holiday 93) Wasn't performing as well as my citgo 92 octane or BP 92 octane because this is where it's produced (flint hills). I guess i'm just rambling now, so i guess enjoy.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by Ron Vogel+Aug 1 2005, 02:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-syP
@Aug 1 2005, 02:50 PM
i have 87 in... why do i get so much knock???
[snapback]93799[/snapback]​
I'm running diesel, is that bad?
[snapback]93800[/snapback]​
[/b]

Doesnt that raise compression without any internal changes??? :unsure: :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info