3800 Rockers

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'd go with reworked stockers, there's no proof full rollers are better. If you went with full rollers, the ZZP comp cams ones look like winners. No offense to anyone with the HS rockers Intense carries, but too much money for pretty rockers you'll never see.

OH, almost forgot. I like to say a first timer can do it in 3-4 hours, and if you've done it before about 2. It's hard to say...some cars are more trouble than others. The actual changing takes very little time, but you need to remove quite a bit to get the VC's off.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jul 26 2005, 04:22 PM
I'd go with reworked stockers, there's no proof full rollers are better.  If you went with full rollers, the ZZP comp cams ones look like winners. No offense to anyone with the HS rockers Intense carries, but too much money for pretty rockers you'll never see.
[snapback]93128[/snapback]​

Im guessing reworked rockers means modified stock rokers :unsure: . Who would be able to do something like for me? How about the PCM? can it still be stock? thanks Ron your always there for a quick answer.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Valvesprings are tricky unless you know how to do them properly and have the proper tools. You will need an air compressor and air hose (to pressurize the cylinders to hold the valves up, and also a spring compressor tool. It is not something that I recommend trying unless you are confident in your abilities, simply because there are a few things that can go wrong and sometimes it is extremely frustrating.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Jul 26 2005, 06:23 PM
Valvesprings are tricky unless you know how to do them properly and have the proper tools. You will need an air compressor and air hose (to pressurize the cylinders to hold the valves up, and also a spring compressor tool. It is not something that I recommend trying unless you are confident in your abilities, simply because there are a few things that can go wrong and sometimes it is extremely frustrating.
[snapback]93149[/snapback]​
and if you drop a spring retainer, then your night has a tendency to get really ugly

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by Partyhardoo69@Jul 26 2005, 08:42 PM
I did valve springs in auto class on a lawn mower engine. is it ANYTHING like that? Im planning on doing this soon.
Eric
[snapback]93165[/snapback]​
I don't know, anyone work on lawn mowers? or honda's?......., both should be about the same :D
All joking aside, once you have to rocker off, the spring has to be compressed, and there are two half-circle tapered retainers that when the spring is un-compressed hold on a little ridge on the valve spring, easiest way to get he retainers out is with a good magnet, otherwise they are kind of a pain, then the spring comes right off. If your not sure or not confident in doing it, it would be best to have someone next to you to show you a couple, then they are pretty easy.
CJ

Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Jul 26 2005, 08:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Partyhardoo69
@Jul 26 2005, 08:42 PM
I did valve springs in auto class on a lawn mower engine. is it ANYTHING like that? Im planning on doing this soon.
Eric
I don't know, anyone work on lawn mowers? or honda's?......., both should be about the same :D
All joking aside, once you have to rocker off, the spring has to be compressed, and there are two half-circle tapered retainers that when the spring is un-compressed hold on a little ridge on the valve spring, easiest way to get he retainers out is with a good magnet, otherwise they are kind of a pain, then the spring comes right off. If your not sure or not confident in doing it, it would be best to have someone next to you to show you a couple, then they are pretty easy.
CJ
[snapback]93168[/snapback]​
[/b]

thats basicly how the lawn mowers came off. Compress the spring and slide them off...can become very frusterating when you have to do it, yet alone the whole classes.....well i had to do everything for everyone in that class :blink: no wonder everyone i helped got A's :rolleyes:

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by Partyhardoo69+Jul 26 2005, 09:01 PM-->
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Jul 26 2005, 08:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Partyhardoo69
@Jul 26 2005, 08:42 PM
Eric

CJ
[snapback]93168[/snapback]​

thats basicly how the lawn mowers came off. Compress the spring and slide them off...can become very frusterating when you have to do it, yet alone the whole classes.....well i had to do everything for everyone in that class :blink: no wonder everyone i helped got A's :rolleyes:
[snapback]93169[/snapback]​
[/b]
they make a small spring compressor tool, could be the snap-on one that bumpin was talking about, but that made it a piece of cake, getting those bastard retainers back in takes patience, I dropped one and it took me 2 hours to find it in my engine compartment at 3AM

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
This is the tool that I use, MUCH easier than conventional compressors. I believe Ron made a similar one. It is less than $25 directly through Snap-On.
19087.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info