3800 Rear mounted Turbo

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
See the thread at Clubgp. I have been championing this setup since it showed its face over at LS1.com. despite all my work it seems that the idea that you will suck up water or the turbo will lag terribly still hasnt gotten out of peoples heads.

Its a great idea, and certainly a better option than either a traditional setup or a CSC for a gt IMO.

BC

I

imported_Theautoguy

I believe there is no turbo-lag but I don't see it practicle for a year round car; too much salt in Illinois. Further, what about car washes? (under body wash???) Does the "sock protect against direct spray? No bashing, just impressed with STS and curious about the kit.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
There really is no use for this type of setup on a W body since there is sufficient room for a standard mount turbo. I'd rather have the Stattama, Carsound, or other similar versions. It's not an anti-Intense/STS thing either. It just seems like the kit was designed to correct problems the W bodies don't have.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by Mike K@Jul 21 2005, 10:31 PM
There really is no use for this type of setup on a W body since there is sufficient room for a standard mount turbo.  I'd rather have the Stattama, Carsound, or other similar versions.  It's not an anti-Intense/STS thing either.  It just seems like the kit was designed to correct problems the W bodies don't have.
[snapback]92627[/snapback]​

True, I've read several glowing testamonials (sp?) with the F-body and GTO kits. Not much room to play under the hoods of those cars!

Mike...I'm looking at a couple more weeks until a rocker and spring order...wanna help since you were the one to plant the seed! ;) ("Hmm, KR...You need more Mods!")

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Bah. How do you figure its crap?

Salt is a concern, but its a concern on a fenderwell intake as well. You just need to wash the filter more often. As for the car wash... ok the filter got wet. On a K&N thats not a big deal. The water that made it passed the filter would just get flashed to steam in the compressor.

BC

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Jul 21 2005, 10:31 PM
There really is no use for this type of setup on a W body since there is sufficient room for a standard mount turbo.  I'd rather have the Stattama, Carsound, or other similar versions.  It's not an anti-Intense/STS thing either.  It just seems like the kit was designed to correct problems the W bodies don't have.
[snapback]92627[/snapback]​

Just because there is room doesnt make it ideal. You are packing a VERY hot turbo right nex tto the intake track (post intercooler) and the TB. thats a lot of heat soak there. This opens up a lot of room in the engine compartment, and fixes exactly the problem that i had with a standard setup. that being TONS of heat in the engine bay. I never trusted the idea of having you pcm, tb, intake and wiring THAT close tot he turbo and its very hot turbine side.

BC

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
I have talked to many people that have a rear mount setup. I'm told its about a 1psi drop...thats it..with Very little lag if any. the piping under the car helps cool it...so you can run without an IC........

It is affective...but....poor design. I would recammend driving a car with this setup on it everyday. water...too much dust.....snow.......many other factors. not to mention.........no muffler?

the STS kit works amazing for the F-bodies..............but doesnt really fit the W-body.

If Scott puts this kit onto his drag car........I'd liek to see how much it slows him down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info