3800 Is it worth it?

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
I drive a 97 GTP with approx 84k miles. The body of my car has definitely seen better days. The clearcoat is chipping away on my spoiler and near one of my grills. There are numerous chips on the hood and a chip about the size of a quarter that is down to bare metal and exposed a rust spot. There is a crease in my bumper, someone must have backed into me in a parking lot or something. Do you think it would be worth it to have my car painted? I haven't called a body shop yet, but I've been told that I would be looking to spend anywhere from $1500 to $3grand. $3grand seems to be a little extreme to me. But that's just me thinking. I plan on driving this until I graduate from college which will be at least 2 more years, possibly 3. That's why I'm debating this, I don't have a lot of money since I'm a college student but I don't wanna drive a rust bucket around campus either.

If anyone is knowledgeable about the costs of painting a car, feel free to chime in with your advice and knowledge.

TIA, Andrew.

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by J.E.T.+Jul 18 2005, 11:51 AM-->
Trade it in.  Buy my car  :D  - it's the same color as yours.
[snapback]92126[/snapback]​
[/b]

Haha! How much you want? My parents prolly wouldn't like it too much if I did it. Both times you've been over at my house my mom has commented on how much louder your car is than mine. :lolsign: If it really does cost 3 grand to paint a car it would almost be worth it though. And I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get my trans rebuilt in the next couple of years as well :( .

<!--QuoteBegin-redgt03
@Jul 18 2005, 11:55 AM
depends on how much you are into looks.......if it does not bother you than i would not....and if you only plan on keeping it a couple more years then i would just save your money....ya know....
[snapback]92128[/snapback]​

Oh, it bothers me. It bothers me evertime I look at my spoiler. The chips, except for the massive quarter sized one, don't bother me too much. If I do decide to get it painted I think I'd like to get something out of the ordinary. Like a different color or something. Maybe that burnt orange color. But that would prolly just tack on more money.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

I know what you are talking about I have a 99 Gt and she is a problem child too. Im going for it with mine, I just want to see her nice looking again. Go get a couple of estimates just to grasp how much of an investment it is going to be. If you are all about apperances then get it done.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Yea, is worth painting. I work in a a shop in bolingbrook, and yea, you are talking about $1200 to $1500 for a complete (same color), but $3000 would onld be for a show car driver, or a custom color change. Let me know if you are really considering it, and you can bring it out to the shop and get an estimate. He runs his shop out of his house, has for the past 29 years, and we have put about 3 show cars out of there including his sons '97 GT, he doesn't show it, but he could, car was painted last year. Pic from yesterday, his has 150,000
[attachmentid=2165]

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by LPSPEED2@Jul 18 2005, 05:46 PM
short fix = spend a few hundo at Maaco, but dont expect anything great or that will last for more than a few (2-3) years.
Long term, spend the 2,000 and do it good.
[snapback]92181[/snapback]​

Macco uses single stage paints, meaning no clear coat. Chalks up faster, and is a harder paint which will lead to alot more chips. Also they charge extra for any body work, and don't do that great of a job usually (I have seen a couple that came out alright) Macco is alright if you are planning to dump a beater and want to get some extra cash out of it. If you are really short on cash then you can get the bad parts done a little at a time, but you will end up paying more in the long run. Your best bet if you want it painted is to pack the chips with wax so they don't rust and save up.
CJ

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Jul 18 2005, 06:28 PM-->
Yea, is worth painting. I work in a a shop in bolingbrook, and yea, you are talking about $1200 to $1500 for a complete (same color), but $3000 would onld be for a show car driver, or a custom color change.  Let me know if you are really considering it, and you can bring it out to the shop and get an estimate.  He runs his shop out of his house, has for the past 29 years, and we have put about 3 show cars out of there including his sons '97 GT, he doesn't show it, but he could, car was painted last year. Pic from yesterday, his has 150,000
[attachmentid=2165]
[snapback]92176[/snapback]​
[/b]

How far is Bolingbrook from Elgin? I'm really considering it. What are the hours of the shop cuz I could prolly bring it buy any time tomorrow for an estimate.

<!--QuoteBegin-LPSPEED2
@Jul 18 2005, 06:46 PM
short fix = spend a few hundo at Maaco, but dont expect anything great or that will last for more than a few (2-3) years.

I'm definitely not gonna take it to Maaco. A guy I work with had his car painted there and it was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. They did a horrible job of taping it up and got overspray on his mufflers, the edges were chipping within the first week. From far away it looked kinda nice though.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by frankenstinesy+Jul 18 2005, 06:40 PM-->
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Jul 18 2005, 06:28 PM
Yea, is worth painting. I work in a a shop in bolingbrook, and yea, you are talking about $1200 to $1500 for a complete (same color), but $3000 would onld be for a show car driver, or a custom color change.  Let me know if you are really considering it, and you can bring it out to the shop and get an estimate.  He runs his shop out of his house, has for the past 29 years, and we have put about 3 show cars out of there including his sons '97 GT, he doesn't show it, but he could, car was painted last year. Pic from yesterday, his has 150,000
[attachmentid=2165]
[snapback]92176[/snapback]​

How far is Bolingbrook from Elgin? I'm really considering it. What are the hours of the shop cuz I could prolly bring it buy any time tomorrow for an estimate.

<!--QuoteBegin-LPSPEED2
@Jul 18 2005, 06:46 PM

I'm definitely not gonna take it to Maaco. A guy I work with had his car painted there and it was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. They did a horrible job of taping it up and got overspray on his mufflers, the edges were chipping within the first week. From far away it looked kinda nice though.
[snapback]92187[/snapback]​
[/b]

it's about 45 min. I think, never make my way to elgin. It would have to be at night to get an estimate, so he usually has people come in on the weekends. He works as a painter for a dealership, what is done at his house is side work, which is why he can work at $40 an hour instead of the $80 norm that you will find in another shop. Also if we do a complete, he doesn't charge for little parking lot dings and shit, he just fixes them, actual accident hits, he has to put some time on. I'm sure you understand. Let me know what you want to do, and if you want some custom stuff done, think of it now, cheaper to to it all at once.
CJ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info